Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a size 28, and now I wear a 12. I feel pretty good about that.
  • darcy2102
    darcy2102 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think that the number on the lable is not a great indicator. Sizes vary from company to company, and year to year. I worked in retail years ago and I remember a major company here in Canada changed their sizing scale on their lines....they tailored their clothing smaller so everyone had to move up a size (seriously, what were they thinking??) This company was a mainstay for women, and by changing their sizing they actually cost themselves business (it was so bad that this company, one that every young woman could use as her go to store for suiting and business attire, lost the bulk of their clientelle and they are now, after years of closing stores and being forced into realignment, selling the shoddy club-clothes that last one wearing and fall apart). The moral of the story, the size is not a good indicator of your health...no one sees the number on the lable anymore than they see the number on the scale....trust yourself to judge your own health.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am tall, with hips, and I have always worn between an 8 and 16 at my heaviest. I am by no means fat and I wear a 12 on average. So many stores sizes vary. One store I could fit a 10, and the next it could be 16. Size is so distorted these days. According to the modelling industry, we are obese...Depends on body type, height etc....I was rail thin til I was about 20, and I wore a 8-10. Dont go by pant sizes, go by what looks and feels good!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    By a raise of hands, how many people seen Marilyn Monroe in person?

Ok didn't think so.

Regardless of if sizes have changed, the woman was curvy and her weight varied.

I have the same body type as Marilyn. My waist is 12 inches smaller than my hips. I have fit into a size 3 and been healthy. "Curvy" does not always mean "overweight." It just means you have a curve from your waist to your hips. If there's a lot of fat on your waist and hips, you are curvy and overweight.

No, I never saw Marilyn in person. However, I have seen her in movies where she's wearing some very form-fitting clothing. She was not a modern size 12. Not even close. Maybe at her very heaviest for a short time. But not for the totality of her career.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your height and body type. I'm fairly on the short side (only 5'4") so on my a size 12 is still pretty big (I'm currently a 14). I need to get down to an 8 at least to look good.

Taller people look better in a size 12.

Now that being said if you're happy with where you're at then celebrate it and enjoy it because really it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, this is about you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all size 7 pages, but to me a size 12 is fat.

That's where I started at 5'9 and 180 pounds.. and I was fat... had a muffin top and the whole nine yards.

Fast forward to now, and I can comfortably wear a size 4 at 150 pounds and there is no way I am too thin or anorexic looking.

See, when I got to 150 the last time I lost weight, I was nowhere near a size 4, at least in the stores I was shopping in. I looked and felt good, but I was still around a size 10/12. It must be how I'm built...I have a larger bum and wide hips, and it doesn't change no matter how much weight I lose.

When I weighed 150 about 4 years ago, I wearing an 8/10.. why? because I had more fat on my hips, thighs, waist etc.

Now that I've lost a lot of that fat, I can fit in a smaller size easily.. I still have hips and a butt, but they are just smaller versions because there is not as much fat on there.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    By a raise of hands, how many people seen Marilyn Monroe in person?

Ok didn't think so.

Regardless of if sizes have changed, the woman was curvy and her weight varied.

I have the same body type as Marilyn. My waist is 12 inches smaller than my hips. I have fit into a size 3 and been healthy. "Curvy" does not always mean "overweight." It just means you have a curve from your waist to your hips. If there's a lot of fat on your waist and hips, you are curvy and overweight.

No, I never saw Marilyn in person. However, I have seen her in movies where she's wearing some very form-fitting clothing. She was not a modern size 12. Not even close. Maybe at her very heaviest for a short time. But not for the totality of her career.

And MM's average costuming weight was 118 pounds and her studio measurements were 35-22-35 and was listed as a dress size 12 and pants size 8 (they wore very high waisted pants). A 22 waist? That is impossibly tiny, that's like the size of my thigh. Her dresses had to literally be sewn onto her to take in the waist that far. She had to be cut out of her dresses!
    I have a 25" waist and a 37" hip and wear a size 6. Don't think sizes have changed, really?
    She got up to 140 briefly but mostly stayed around 120. When she died, she weighed129 pounds. She was 5'5.5.
    Today's size 12 my BUTT.

I'm a total MM nerd and it makes my skin crawl to see the "Well MM was a size 14 so...." thrown out constantly. GAHHHHH.

TableFlip.jpg
  • raebels
    raebels Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

I say go for whatever you feel most comfortable in. If you feel good about yourself in size 12 then your opinion is what matters most. Height is a major factor and of course the brand makes a huge difference too! Remember to put yourself first and do what makes you most happy! =)

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • ncruso24
    ncruso24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started at a size 12 and now im a size 7/8. But my bones are really small...my wrists are about 6'' so 12 was really uncomfortable for me. But I have a friend who is bigger boned and she looks awesome at a szie 12. I'm assuming this isn't the end of your weight loss and size 12 is a great accomplishment for someone who started at a size 18 or something so I think you should celebrate! My goal is size 4/6 what's yours? It all takes time.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I personally would be very very happy to be a size 12, 5'8 so i think smaller might be too thin for me :)
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am currently a size 12...

I am fat.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I started at a 14 and am not quite in a 12 yet. I'd like to be a 10/12. So, no, I don't think 12's are fat for some people.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and a 14 and I don't give a hoot. Its not the size, its about how you carry yourself. If you carry yourself well, people are going to realize that you are more than just your body shape and size :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 8, and I'm still about 40 pounds overweight. Yes, a size 12 is overweight. But that doesn't mean it's not a heck of a lot better than a 24.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Depends on height, body type and where you bought the jeans. I wore a size 12/14 at my heaviest (181) now in an 8 ( 145-150) would love to wear a 6 but might never get there. A toned 8 beats a skinny fat 6 anyday of the week. Now my sister is 4 inches taller than me and a 12 looks awsome on her. At a 10 she's starting to look too skinny.
  • Chessie24
    Options
    It really depends on the body type and height. Also how your weight is through out your body. I was a size 14 when I started and I'm now a 6/7. I'm only 5'4" but I've always carried my weight pretty good anyways. So if you feel good in a size 12 I wouldn't worry about it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am currently (but hopefully not for much longer) in a 16. I would be thrilled right now to be in a 12. However, at only 5'0" tall, my goal is a 6 or 8. Don't aim to wear what everyone else does, aim for what feels good to you. Some people look fabulous in a 12. If I did, I'd stay there.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of anything over a size 7 as pretty big unless you're around 5'10", but numbers are all relative. BMI is a way better indicator of whether you are at a good weight than clothing size. Your 5k time is a way better indicator than either.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of anything over a size 7 as pretty big unless you're around 5'10",

Um ... no.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It really depends on body type/personal goals.

For instance, I'm 5'11 and have a wide frame. Being a size 12 is one of the smaller sizes I could healthily reach, the lowest my body could physically go would be about a 10. But for other people, say, females who are 5'2 and petite, they would look large as a 12 (just for an example, I know everyone's different.)

People fit sizes differently. Both Jennifer Aniston and Kim Kardashian are size two's, but their bodies are totally different. Same for size 12.

If size 12 is your goal, that's great! Don't let anyone make you feel bad about that. It's just a pants number. If you look good and are healthy, who cares about the number on a tag?

I have to agree. I have a large body frame (wide) for being 5'3" and I cannot get to any size lower than a size 10. My body plateaus and does not budge no matter how hard I push. I can eat healthy but still it;s like my body is saying hell no! I am in between a size 10 and size 12 in pants and it depends what the brand is. But because of my broad shoulders (built like a linebacker) my tops are a size large and dress size is 14. Go figure!!