Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The average for a woman is size 12-14. :smile:

..wait

for what height?

average? Im pretty sure I don't know anyone who is a size 12 or 14. I know like 150 people between 0 and 10, two 16's, an 18 and four 20's.

haha four twenty
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable and healthy at a size 12 - freaking awesome - stay there!! :) depends on the person.

I'm between a size 10-12 now and trying to lose a bit more
    FYI I'm 5'6'', 30 y/o and 187lbs.
  • tuttboy
    tuttboy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. So happy for you.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

..wait

for what height?

average? Im pretty sure I don't know anyone who is a size 12 or 14. I know like 150 people between 0 and 10, two 16's, an 18 and four 20's.

Response:

Google it. :) LOL anyway, those are the sizes that are always gone first. And we've sold clothing at most places I've worked and/or we ordered employee apparel and those were the most common sizes to either sell out or be ordered...just where I am. Also you are mistaking average for mode.
  • tuttboy
    tuttboy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can get there. Just be consistent. You'll be surprised how far you can go.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. I went from a size 16 to now 10/12 but I want to lose more for me. Keep up the good work :wink:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Okay I hear a lot of stuff about average size in US being 14. Perhaps. Not sure. Keep in mind though that an average (aka mean) would be the all the sizes of persons in the sample added up and divided by the number of people in the sample. That means everyone could be 6 and 18 with no 12's and the average would come out at 12. Median would be listing all the people in the sample size in numerical order and finding the size in the middle. Mode would be the most common size in the sample.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

That's because the average woman is fat.
    At least in the United States.
  • yoovie
    Options

..wait

for what height?

Response:

Google it. :) LOL anyway, those are the sizes that are always gone first. And we've sold clothing at most places I've worked and/or we ordered employee apparel and those were the most common sizes to either sell out or be ordered...just where I am. Also you are mistaking average for mode.

I did :-/ you can only really say that if you include height - otherwise its just misleading :(
  • yoovie
    Options
    from webmd only cause it was the first one that popped up *rolls eyes*
    Today, the average American woman is 5’4″, has a waist size of 34-35 inches and weighs between 140-150 lbs, with a dress size of 12-14.

wow.

I feel pretty incredible right now.

Im going to go to the gym.

thanks for the motivation!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 12.
    I'm 5'7"
    I don't think I'm "fat".

Technically by bulls**t BMI standards I'm still 3 lbs away from being in the "normal" weight range.
    But even my trainer was shocked I weighed 163lbs

Even when I was 155lbs I was in a size 10.

But I've also seen people that have a smaller pant size than me but look bigger than me just because of their body composition.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on the person, especially their height. When I was at my lowest weight in my adult life, I was 140lbs & I'm 5'6 & I was wearing size 10/12 &I was skinny. I never got below a size 10 ever. I'd be happy to get back there, I would even settle for a size 14/16 :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    from webmd only cause it was the first one that popped up *rolls eyes*
    Today, the average American woman is 5’4″, has a waist size of 34-35 inches and weighs between 140-150 lbs, with a dress size of 12-14.

wow.

I feel pretty incredible right now.

Im going to go to the gym.

thanks for the motivation!

i was 5'4" with a 34" waist and weighed 174 lbs. I must have been carrying a lot of muscle :)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the person! When I was a size 12, I considered myself to be pretty overweight. But I also have serious self-image problems, so do I think everyone who is a size 12 is overweight? Heck no!!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It also depends in which country you buy your clothes in!

This is a conversion chart - I am in Australia and American sizes are different to ours - so US size 12 is Aust size 14.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

It's about how good you feel, how your clothes look, your shape, height, etc. Size is just a number. Clothing also varies with manufacturers, so one company's size 12 will be another company's size 10 or 14!

PS I also think BMI is not a particularly good guide - more a general indicator. Google BMI and see the history of where the numbers came from!! :noway:
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree that it depends a lot on your build. I'm 5' 10", and my size 6's are loose - but I've never had wide hips (to my great dismay). I can't imagine getting up to a size 12 because it's not the way I'm built. One of my closest friends is identical in height and waist size, but has significantly wider hips. She wears a size 10 or 12 no problem.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    hell no. i'd love to be a 12, would never want to be a size 8. I like my curves when they come out of hiding. 12 is awesome
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It also depends in which country you buy your clothes in!

Opps duplicate, I thought it hadn't posted. Still half asleep! Where's that black coffee - double!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is a tiny, slim, Chinese woman and wears size 14 since having kids. She was sweet and told her daughters this when I had my 1st child and was trying to lose the extra pounds which I did. My sister is slim and is 5'10" tall and usually wears a 14 too and at least a 12. Even when I was my ideal weight I wore an 8 or 10 but then although I have hips I have a smaller frame. A 10 or 12 is an average size for most healthy, women over 18. I was checking out the spring fashions lately since my son is getting married and I was wondering what I would wear. I always knew models were too skinny but now they look really unhealthy. They basically look like they are dying of starvation. Let's get real 12 is great. It depends on your body. It depends on how you feel and look in it. Congratulations. 12 does not = fat.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i think it depends.

for me, yes because i am 5'5" and about 200 or less and i wear a loose US size 12 (in most brands) and sometimes ill go ahead and squeeze into US size 10s due to my body composition. so im aiming to be around a 6 or 8 (perhaps smaller) when i lose the 35 pounds i need to lose.

for others, size 12 fits them perfectly and they look amazing in it. and they should rock it without a second thought.

clothing sizes aren't a great measure for things.I do measurements with a tape measure for the small motivational reasons.for me, when i love the way i look and i also feel healthy that's when i'll know so that is how i am measuring overall.