Size 12 = Fat?

Options
I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

Replies

• efarester
    Options
    I really think it depends on the person - if you are healthy and at a weight that is good for you - the size you fit in does not matter :) We all know that sizes vary from brand to brand and pair of pants to another - so I don't know that it is a clear reflection of whether you are healthy :)

Way to go for reaching your goal!!! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sizes aren't a great measurement - they vary so much and have changed so much over the year. And someone who is tall with wide hips might need a larger size even if he/she is at a lower weight.

Celebrate YOUR success to this point! And, if you still need to lose more weight, that's ok too :)
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have wider hips and the smallest I've ever fit into when I was thin was a 10. I only buy American Eagle jeans...
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the individual. I started MFP at a size 10. I am now a size 8. I'm 36 yrs old. I'm 5'4 and my goal weight is between 120 and 125. For me personally a size 12 would be too big. But for a person who started at a 16 or 18, a size 12 would be awesome, a great accomplishment.
  • iSurvive
    Options
    Size 12 would be skinny for me. At a size 10 I am too thin, I have been a size 10 once before and was accused of being anorexic looking. At the time I didn't think so, but looking back at pictures I did look it. Depends on your body type.
  • teddybearlady
    teddybearlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started at a snug 16, now loose 12. I did last night buy a size 10. According t y height/weight ratio and BMW I still have bout 20 pounds to lose. I would be a bit scrawny then I think and abt size 6.
    All that said...where I am happy will be a 10 or 12. I want to lose 7-10 and then maintain. Size is relative to where you are happy and comfortable.
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" a size 10/12 and I'm obese for my height. It really just depends. Some women look amazing at that size and some look horrible. Everyone is different.
  • cymple13
    cymple13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am actually trying to get into a size 12 right now! About 6 years ago I was in a size 22! I got down to an 18, then a 16...now I' ve been in a 14 for about 2 years. I am still not in shape, but way better then I use to be some years ago! I think it depends on you and the goals you set for yourself. It seems very hard for me just to get into the next size smaller, even after losing so much weight over the years. I do know that I will never weigh over 300lbs again, and my main goal now is to get under 200lbs! Good luck in your effort to be a better you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

If I made it to size 12, I would be bragging to everyone I know. I haven't worn that size since I was kid. When I left high school, and was pretty fit and not overweight, I was in a size 16. I left college at a size 18 and just went up from there.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to fit in a size 12 again!! Right now im at 13/14 ish but yeah, I'm sure you look great at size 12 so do not worry :)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the question is very subjective... some people like women bone thin and some people like some cushion for pushing... it all comes down to who you ask
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It really depends on body type/personal goals.

For instance, I'm 5'11 and have a wide frame. Being a size 12 is one of the smaller sizes I could healthily reach, the lowest my body could physically go would be about a 10. But for other people, say, females who are 5'2 and petite, they would look large as a 12 (just for an example, I know everyone's different.)

People fit sizes differently. Both Jennifer Aniston and Kim Kardashian are size two's, but their bodies are totally different. Same for size 12.

If size 12 is your goal, that's great! Don't let anyone make you feel bad about that. It's just a pants number. If you look good and are healthy, who cares about the number on a tag?
  • jryepin
    jryepin Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm about 5'5 and a half and I've been a size 12 from when I weighed 160 lbs in high school to now when I weigh about 194. I guess it had to do with muscle composition cause I had strong thighs in high school but when I gained weight my pant size didn't change at all because I just lost muscle and replaced it fat. I'm shooting to stay within my size 12 though!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hmm well I have a small bone structure and a size 12 is what I was overweight and feeling the worst. I think sizing is deceiving though. Prefer to go by physical measurements.

For some people, especially the taller and those with wider frames look fantastic at a size 12! I look like a fata** lmao.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Going by size of clothing isn't a true measure. Size depends on many things. Height, build, clothes size varies from brand to brand. I'm 5' 8' and at my heaviest was squeezing out of my size 24 pants. I now fit a size 10 / 12 comfortably.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If you can climb a few flights of stairs without breaking a sweat, then whatever size you are is good. For the average height, size 12 sounds about perfect.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    im a 12. Would be happy to stop here, but im goin for the tens!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and currently in 20s which are starting to get loose, down from a tiiight 22.

When I was a size 14 in high school I weighed 180lbs and I was quite thin. I don't think I could get lower than a 12.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    for me, a size 12 is big. I wear that size for a few months right after i have a baby (4 babies and this is what happens each time) . A 12 for some people is very small. It just depends. My sister and I are both 5'10' and she's a 12 and I'm a 4-6 but we both look fit.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I agree, size isn't a good gauge at all. It totally depends on your height and body structure. I started at a size 16 and was looking good in size 12. I am now in an 8, but certainly would not have described my size 12 body as fat at all. That being said, I'm 5'10" and pear shaped.