Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Like others have said there is a lot that goes into that. I'm 4'11 and in a size 12 the weight that I carry along with that puts me in the obese category.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Height is a factor as well. Size 12 will look very different on a woman my height (5'2") and someone who is 5'8"
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual. Some people are very small their whole lives and gain and then a 12 is huge to them. Others (like me struggle with being large their whole life and a 12 is average. I was happy and looked good at a 12. my dream would be a 10. It's the number YOU are happy at!!!!

editing to say: it also depends on your shape. some people are straight up and down with no shape and others have ''volume'' :) So you "fill out" a size 12 because of your shape...not because you are fat. In other words...''bootay"
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and being a size 12 means I'm considerably overweight. It just wasn't a good look for me and my self-confidence was non-existent then.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If I am 6' tall then a 12 would probably look pretty thin. If I'm 4'10 then a size 12 is going to seem a bit pudgy......
  • starrynightskys
    starrynightskys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are we talking a English or US size 12, I'm confused.

In an English size 12 I look pretty good, that's a good size for me (I'm 5'8)

As a US size 12 I am at least 14 pounds overweight so that wouldn't be healthy for me.

I guess it depends on the individual, and muscle composition, but if we were basing it purely on BMI

and people who aren't overly muscly, I would have thought people under 5'8 would for the most part

be overweight medically speaking in a US Size 12.

Depends what peoples aims and goals are.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that a 12 was the perfect size, well at least for me! I have never been that small, nor do I think I can get down to that size but I am sure going to try! I am currently in a semi snug 18, baggy 20's. I have another 60 or so pounds to lose and I think that I would be right around that size! I am hoping to get there by next christmas!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When I was a 12 I had a teeeny waist and a size small/med top. It varies a lot according to your shape...I also know people who wear size 7 jeans and a xxl top because they have back boobs but no butt.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It think it was Dr. Oz... He had like 6 women of all different shapes and heights all wearing jeans. He had people try to guess their size. That size ranged from a size 6 to a 16. They were ALL a size 10. So it really depends on your body composition.
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It does depend on the body shape and size. I am currently a size 12 , 5 ft 4 inches tall and I do not feel fat but my BMI indicates I am obese. I just need to tone up, but if that includes weight loss all is well. One of my coworkers wears a size 12 also and she is 40 lbs lighter than me. Is that not the weirdest thing? The differrence is I have large thighs and a "perky" derrrier. For that reason I have to get pants bigger to go over the thighs and derrier. I generally end up with paper bag waist when I put on a belt for this reason.

In regards to size not being a great determining factor......OH SO RIGTH!!! I have jeans from size 8 to 14 that fits. You have to finda a brand that works with your body size.

Congrats on getting into that "12"!! Keep up the good work!!!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the oldest individual replying to this post but, when I was in my 20s I weighed 117 lbs and was 5' 2 1/2" and wore a size 11/12. Today many decades later, I weigh 151 and ma 5' 2" (yes, it really happens!) and wear a size 12. Manufacturers in the U.S. have changed the sizing on clothes over the last 30 to 40 years making them bigger (to accommodate the ever-growing American) than the European cuts. Am I unhappy at a size 12? Hell, no - I'm coming from a size 20! But I'm not focusing on the size of the clothing, nor the number on the scale - when I feel my fittest - that's when and where I will be satisfied no matter what the size or what the scale reads.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You may look just right at a size 12 and have a healthy BMI, while someone else with a smaller frame may look really overweight at that size. I have a larger frame, but I tend to wear all my weight around my waist, so I would still look at least somewhat overweight at a size 12 (not that I won't be totally stoked when I do hit that size!), but for someone with a different weight distribution, they might look perfectly fine.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It totally depends, so as long as your are happy, all is well! I bought two pairs of pants at NY&Co one day, and one was a size 8 and one was a size 12! Thanks goodness I tried them on! It all depends on the cut, the brand, your shape, etc. No one will know what size you're wearing but you, so rock it! :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    "It depends".
    If you fat jeans are a 12 then you want to lose. If your fat jeans are a 20 then 12 is usually a good goal.
    Once upon a time my fat jeans were a 10 so my goal is to go from a 20 to a 6.
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Size 12 is my goal. I am 5'9 curvy, no stomach and size 12 on me looks like a 10. I thinks it's a great size plus I love being a little thick. My husband has commanded me not go any smaller than that. I am 14 -16 now and look pretty good. Do what works for you, its your opinion of yourself that matters.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'5 and a half and I've been a size 12 from when I weighed 160 lbs in high school to now when I weigh about 194. I guess it had to do with muscle composition cause I had strong thighs in high school but when I gained weight my pant size didn't change at all because I just lost muscle and replaced it fat. I'm shooting to stay within my size 12 though!!!

Yes!! Me too! I went from a tight size 12 (bordering a size 14) to a loose size 12 and I had dropped 40 lbs!
    I have always been bottom heavy. Pretty sure 30 of those lbs were lost from my face, waist, arms, etc....

Don't foget the boobs! (My poor girls!) I struggle thinking about this. My pants are loose in waist but my behind and/or thighs keep them the same size (right now an avg of size 10). You can, however, really see my ribs an strernum in my chest... which makes me think of being unhealthy. Very confusing for me at times. So I'm trying to work on less worry of size and more worry of fitness & health.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9", large framed. Size 12 is not "fat" for me but is higher body fat than I'd prefer.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and at 133lbs i was a size 12 with a flat stomach and no muffin top or back fat, (10 on a really good day). But people always thought i was smaller. Even now I don't really have a desire to be smaller than a 10, I think i'd look funny.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", 185lbish....and I wear a size 12 (a tight 12 lol) so trying to lose about 10 to 15 pounds to be more comfortable in it - not ashamed of my pants size :smile: just want to me more comfortable and confident

<-- size 12 wedding dress :happy:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Pant size has nothing to do with health or attractiveness. It's just a number used by clothing manufacturers. That's the only significance it has.

My sister in law is size 12. She's also six feet tall and athletic. I', 5'6" all hips and no boobs and I was gross at a size 12. Depends on your body type. I would choose any other measurement than pant/dress size as a gauge to strive for.