Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• It depends on the person and the proportion of the body. I am currently a size 12, and to be quite honest if I had a tone body I would not want to lose a lb.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body shape. I look like crap if I am under a size 12.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do what makes you happy and where you feel healthy, and have good self esteem. I think that's what is most important.

I'm 5'45", 204, and a loose size 16. My goal is to get down to 180, and to be a size 10 - 12. I will still be considered "obese." I am trying to focus more on working out, and making myself active, and making healthy choices. If I "surpass" those goals, then that's fine and I'll be happy, too. :)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I could still lose a little fat but because of my height and frame size, I'm wearing a loose size 2 right now and will probably end up in a 0 in another year or so. Other people just don't have the frame for that (I'm 5'2" and fairly petite)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It is when I reached a size 12 that I knew I needed to lose weight. I am 5'10" and yes a 12 is too big of a size for me. Humans were not meant to be big boned as people say, although culturally, we have come to accept this term and its normalcy. I am shooting for a size 6...and in some brands I am there. 12 is a good size to work to if you are bigger of course!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I lose a size about every 20 pounds. At 260 I'm in an 18, 240 a 16 etc. At about 200 pounds I'd be in a size 12. I'm 5'7. My BMI would be just into the obese range.

I will tell you however that I would feel amazing and look decently thin given my height. I don't look at people who are a size 12 and think they need to lose weight. I'm jealous!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I started here wearing a size 12. For my height and body weight that was a little larger than I personally wanted to be. I am now a size 8 and feel more comfortable in my skin.

So as others have stated it depends on your body type/shape and overall health and wellness.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I always put this story out here when this comes up, but sizing (while obviously shooting for lower can be a good goal at a heavy weight) can set you up for heartbreak. If you have wide hips, you can get downright emaciated and still be in a higher size. I'm routinely around a 9/10 at a healthy weight, and when I was an anorexic before recovery, I was (at 5'6" and 95 lbs) in a... size 7/8. Once I got a pair of 5/6s that fit, but I'll blame that more on the brand.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yea all depends on the person.

For me, I'm rather plump at a size 12 and my goal is a 2-4 in AE Jeans and 3-5 in LEI jeans (basically the two brands I try to stick to because I like how they fit)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Size 12 would be skinny for me. At a size 10 I am too thin, I have been a size 10 once before and was accused of being anorexic looking. At the time I didn't think so, but looking back at pictures I did look it. Depends on your body type.

size 10 is not what i think of when i think of anorexia...
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your body type... I'm 5' 4" and weigh 183lbs and I have a hourglass figure, so my hips will always be a tad big, but I'd be happy to get down to a size 10
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    I think it depends on many different things
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I started at a size 12 and am now a size 5. For me it's not about size, it's about being healthy. Celebrate your successes and if you feel it's a good size then awesome! Who cares what others think, they don't know how hard you've worked or where you started!

keep it up!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This definitely has factors pertaining to it. 12 can be a great size to achieve or a great starting place. This can be determined by height, body fat, bone structure, etc. It's about how you feel and how you feel you look. You can be confident at a size 12 or a size 2. Disregard others when they are starting at different sizes. It's all personal, and your own journey, be proud of the skin you're in!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I AM LOVING MY SIZE 12'S

:happy: :happy: :love: :love:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anything over 30% body fat = fat in my book, regardless of what your clothing size is, how tall you are, how big your bones are, etc.

since it's impossible to tell bodyfat % or body composition, solely on clothing size it's hard to say what size should be considered fat and what size isnt.

ETA my goal size is size 6. if i'm correct then at that size i should be in the healthy 18-20% body fat range. i started at a 22/24
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I wear between a size 12-14 depending on the brand (I started at a very tight size 18), but I definitely still have a considerable amount of weight to lose and I'm 5'10". Everyone's body is different and the pant size shouldn't really be the goal, it's ultimately how you look/feel.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I've been as high as a size 18 (alllmmmmost 20!), and was a chubbette in my opinion. I hated it........

I am currently in about a 14 - have one pair of 12's that I can wear, but I think they're "vanity sized". When I get to a comfortable Size 12 American, I will be quite happy!!!

It's all so relevant to your height and bone structure and stuff, too. I'm 5' 3", and weigh about 160 right now..........
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" a size 10/12 and I'm obese for my height. It really just depends. Some women look amazing at that size and some look horrible. Everyone is different.

this is true! i am a size13/14...12 snugg!! But I was told by my doc that I am obese and cant get on the nuva ring! LOL
    My height is 5'3