Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've been as high as a size 18 (alllmmmmost 20!), and was a chubbette in my opinion. I hated it........

I am currently in about a 14 - have one pair of 12's that I can wear, but I think they're "vanity sized". When I get to a comfortable Size 12 American, I will be quite happy!!!

It's all so relevant to your height and bone structure and stuff, too. I'm 5' 3", and weigh about 160 right now..........

I am also 5'3 and when I get to 160, i can fit size 9 or 11...so this shows you that weight height and bone structure vary between people...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the body shape. I am 5'5" and wear a size 12. The very smallest I have ever worn is a size 10 and I weighed about 115-120 then and was way too thin for my build. I want to lose an additional 11-19 lbs and I think I might be a loose 12 when I do that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    With my bone structure, height, and how I carry my weight, a size 12 is fat. My 'little' sister who is half a foot taller than me and who has a bigger build (bigger wrists, hips, wider shoulders) looks fantastic and slim in a 12. Your goals should be based on your own body.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the person. Some people can wear a 12 and look like an 8. Some people wear a 12 and look like an 18. If you have the curvier frame, 12 is GREAT! If you are more narrow hipped, a 12 would look wider. My first goal was a 12, because it isn't "plus" size. But, now I have gotten there, and since I have narrower hips, I am shooting for a 6-8. If I had the booty, I would go for a 10-12.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.
  • Lormic98
    Options
    It depends upon many factors; height, body type. I am a size 12 right now, the smallest I hope to be is a size 10. I am 5' 8" and have curvy hips. Actually a size 12 is great if the body is toned, and it feels right for the individual.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

^^ THIS. sizes are TOTALLY different today!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Coming from a size 20, I'm still delighted to see that a size 12 actually fits me. Doesn't mean I don't still want to be an 8, but I'm ok right here too.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Depends on your size. If I were a 12 it would be a bad thing, but if you're 5'10, it's great!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

When I wore size 12,my BMI was bordering on obese. I was at my highest ever weight and definitely fat.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Size 12 would be too large for me, but it is fine for my mom. I weigh 125ish now and am a 1-2 (albeit a soft/pudgy one!). She is 135-140 and a 10-12.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on the individual. At the start of my weight loss, I wore a size 12 - 14 (depended on the style or cut) weighing at 176lbs & height 5'6". My BMI had me in the overweight range. It was always a struggle to find clothes that look right. I was always wearing tunics because i did not want any form fitting clothes to outline my stomach region. I never wore leggings. Most of my weight was in the abdomen & hip. I am down close to about 30 lbs wearing a size 10 now with a normal BMI. I now wear more form fitting clothes. I now live in leggings & yoga pants because it is an ego boost for me showing I have come a long way. I thought I wanted to go down to a size 8. I no longer care about a dress size. I care about how I see myself as looking & feeling good. The numbers I really care about are my medical metrics ie. blood pressure, BMI, & cholesterol .
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you feel good, then I feel great for you! A size 12 is a nice healthy size in my opinion, I'd sell my first born to get into some size 12 skinny jeans ;)

Making it into a size 12 on 12-12-12, that's gotta be something!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    totally depends on height,how you carry your weight and whether your small bones big boned ect. Im 5'8 and i think i looked good in a size 12.
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is such a good question. Take into consideration not only your weight, but height, BMI and most importantly body fat %. Measurements help too. For me a size 12 is too big I already gain the most in my upper thighs & hips area. That's too much junk for me to be carrying around. I also tend to go up a size every 8-10 pounds so I really have to montior the eating and exercising.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Size 12, depending on your body frame, could be fine. Size 22-24-26 (which is where I was at my highest) is fat. At size 12, I will probably still need to lose a little weight to get to my goal weight. I think that basing being "overweight" solely on clothing size is a big crock. Clothing size is not a standardized thing, for one, and therefore, isn't a good way to judge. Even weight isn't the best way to judge. Judge being overweight on your measurements, your waist-to-hip ratio, how physically fit you are, and other metrics like that. They'll be more accurate.
  • s_hannon
    Options
    Good question. I'm proud of the fact that I'm now in a size 12 American Eagle jean. That said, I'm not stopping yet. My goal is size 8 if not smaller. I realize some people still consider that really fat but to each their own. Good job girl!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Size 12 is not "fat" for me. I'm 5'8, large frame and hourglass shape, my hips and bust are the biggest parts of my body. I hide my actual weight pretty well.

Last time I was that size, it was the smallest size I had been as an adult, but I still didn't like what I saw because I starved away all my muscle, and was well on my way to becoming "skinnyfat". Still I received compliments "you look great, you're so small!"

This time around I have more muscle so a 12 will look pretty good on me I hope! I started at a size 18-16 and my goal is a size 8-10.
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    Well, for me, I'm a size 12 but I'm short so it is overweight for me. I look better at a 10. But in genera l don't view 12 as overweight, the average UK size is 14!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, I'm a size 12 but I'm short so it is overweight for me. I look better at a 10. But in genera l don't view 12 as overweight, the average UK size is 14!
    UK 14 is not the same as American 14.

That said, the "average" size for Americans is overweight.