Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I remember getting into a size 8 for the first time in eons and being so proud... mentioned it at work and one of the ladies (who I KNOW meant no harm) said, "Eight? I've never been more than a 4!". I was crushed! My accomplishment felt unimportant and insufficient. But you know what? I gave it some thought, looked in the mirror and said, well I think I look great, and I did, too! I'm only 5'1" and what's fine on me might not be on someone else. I'm so happy for you for fitting into those 12's!!!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am a 12. I feel like - for my body - I would like to shave off a little more. I would love to be at a 10, but 12 is perfectly acceptable and I've been at this size for almost 6 months (yay!). Size 12 on the right lady (you know, curvy) looks amazing.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't like if I go over a UK10...I'm not sure what that is in US sizes but I'm only 5'6 and I have hips/butt so I'd never make it into a UK8, I haven't since I was 19!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

a size 12 in marilyn's day is like a size 6 today
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used to be a size 12-14 and at 5"3" my weight for that height was considered overweight. My doctor was more concerned about my weight at that time and I thought I was fine. Now I'm a size 6, never thought I would go down to this size, but my body still feels the same as when I was a size 12-14 for some reason, so it never mattered to me, but I'm in better health!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was a size 11/12 in high school. At the beginning of this journey on MFP, I was a size 13/14. I didn't look big at either size.. I'm here to get fit and toned. But I am currently at a size 7. Sizes are different for every brand too.. so it really doesn't matter. Whatever you feel your best at! :) ((no one can tell what size jean you are from looking at you.. so why does it matter??)) ;)
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

Marilyn would be considered overweight today. And oh yes, the sizes are VERY different now! When I was a teenager the perfect size was a 10. I was 5'1", 103 pounds, and wore a 10. (I was 11 when Marilyn died, so, do the math).
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I'm currently a size 12 in almost everything at 187 pounds. I am not concerned with my pants size, nor am I concerned with the number on my scale. I have significant concern for my calipers, and I am trying to remove 13% body fat to get to where I want to be! Use actual measureable meaningful goals, pants size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and isn't a good way to figure things out.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's all relative and depends greatly on body composition. I started as about a size 20. I'm in 12s now, but I would like to get down to a 10. I don't think my body will allow me to get much smaller due to where my hips are. I like how I look and feel in a 12, but I certainly don't feel thin. I'm not sure if I'm really fat either, though. I have a weird body, lol.

My BMI claims I'm just under what is considered obese, but my body fat tests show that I'm somewhere in the 18% to 28% range (18 according to calipers, 28 per bio-impedance scale).

So, on me a 12 could be nearly obese or quite athletic & fit depending on what you believe.

Go with your gut (figuratively speaking, that is).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When my size 10's starting getting too tight and I had to buy US size 12 is what finally shocked me into losing weight. I'm 5'5" and it was pretty fat for me. Honestly I think someone would have to be very tall to be a size 12 and not be overweight. But that doesn't mean unhealthily overweight. But at size 12 one is unlikely to be slim.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

Marilyn would be considered overweight today. And oh yes, the sizes are VERY different now! When I was a teenager the perfect size was a 10. I was 5'1", 103 pounds, and wore a 10. (I was 11 when Marilyn died, so, do the math).

Actually, Marilyn in today's sizes was somewhere between a 2 and 4, I believe. There is that one photo in the white bathing suit people throw around and say that was the epitome of beauty and use it as an excuse to remain overweight. But do a Google image search or really look at her in any of her movies.

She was teeny-tiny. Definitely not overweight and for most of her life, she did NOT look like the woman in that white suit.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A friend and I were both size 12 and weighed about the same, but I am 5'2" and she is about 5'6" so I am sure you could see why I am miserable as a size 12 and she was happy and looked good as a size 12.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I started at a size 16/18 and 218 pounds... I am now 180 and a size 10/12. However, according to what my doctor says and what the BMI says, I am still considered obese and my body fat percentage measurement this week was 36% and needs to be at 25. The last time I was able to wear a size 12, I only weighed 145 pounds (35 pounds less than I weigh now).
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Actually, Marilyn in today's sizes was somewhere between a 2 and 4, I believe. There is that one photo in the white bathing suit people throw around and say that was the epitome of beauty and use it as an excuse to remain overweight. But do a Google image search or really look at her in any of her movies.

She was teeny-tiny. Definitely not overweight and for most of her life, she did NOT look like the woman in that white suit.

Her weight yo-yo'd just like a lot of women
    she was 5'6" and would go between 120-140lbs / I'm about the same height and I can tell you at those weights now in say American Eagle jeans she'd probably of wear a 2 (maybe even 0) to a 4/6 or in LEI she'd wear a 3-7 depending on where she was in that range.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

she was 5'6" and would go between 120-140lbs / I'm about the same height and I can tell you at those weights now in say American Eagle jeans she'd probably of wear a 2 (maybe even 0) to a 4/6 or in LEI she'd wear a 3-7 depending on where she was in that range.

I don't know her exact measurements or anything, but she was SUPER tiny most of the time. It's quite funny that women who are overweight compare themselved to her all the time the way they do. If Marilyn was fat, so is Jennifer Aniston, FPS.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I don't know her exact measurements or anything, but she was SUPER tiny most of the time. It's quite funny that women who are overweight compare themselved to her all the time the way they do. If Marilyn was fat, so is Jennifer Aniston, FPS.

Ugh, I know, it's ridiculous!!! I just think 'that old chestnut again' every time I hear it...It gets bandied around a lot by people trying to convince themselves that Marilyn was a UK16... No...just no! She was little, she had curves but she was little!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

a size 12 in marilyn's day is like a size 6 today

I forgot about how much easier it will be to shop for vintage clothes when I reach goal :laugh:

Clothing from the 40s' and 50s' was not sized according to today's standards.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would be from the camp that it really depends on your goals personally. I have friends who will be thrilled when they fit into a size 12, but me on the otherhand was my largest in a size 10/12 so it depends.

Also, just food for thought is the concept of vanity sizing. Size 12 across different clothing brands can mean very different things. Right now my average pants size is a 5/6, but I have pants from a 4 to a 9 in my closet.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!)
    Congrats! Proud of you! :happy: :drinker:
    and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.
    I notice that too about the 10/12 range. As a 100% totally hetero dude, I am COMPLETELY baffled by women clothing sizes. I'll hear women talk about their sizes and 2 will be completely different heights, weights, etc. and wear the same size. It's kinda like the universe; you can show me a chart with facts and figures about widths/heights/lengths, all I'll do is nod my head, say "Wow!", and walk away. :huh: :yawn:
    Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?
    I'm not going to waste your time parrotting most of the thing that others have said that I totally agree with ("Do you", "depends on body type", "depends on starting point", etc.) I will say this however... I, as well as a lot of guys I know, gravitate to the 10-12 as a "starting point" and work our way UP from there! :love::happy: :tongue: :love: Not saying that you need a man's eye to justify your size.. quite the contrary. I guess I'm trying to say that yes, it start with you and your attitude and happiness, BUT there are a LOT of people out there (both genders) that will justify/validate your point of view! Do what you know is right for you, accept the compliments, and filter out the BS.
    I know it was long-winded, but it's the "right size" to speak my POV. #LYMI :flowerforyou:

*Edit to fix quotes and punctuation.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Depends in the person. I'm 5'10 so a 12 would be just great for me. My goal pants I purchased are a size 11. Even at my smallest, and I was firm and fit with muscle tone, I was a size 10 because I have hips and a butt (thank God). You have to look at it this way, 156 pounds to some is overweight, but that's what I weighed at my healthiest and like I said up above, I had muscle tone and was in great shape.