PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options
In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to socialize not workout

We all have different goals, don't judge me
  • wowhb30
    wowhb30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Same thing when going out to dinner and everyone is on their phones. I'm like really people?
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    But I'm a precious snowflake and the world wants, nay, needs to know what I'm doing at every moment of every day!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I like this rant however I use Jefit as my trainer so I do a set enter the set to start the timer for the next set. I am at the gym to work our I ignore all texts and calls during that time but I do use my phone to track my sets and I use it for my C25K. I wish LA Fitness would put your policy in place and enforce it. I see people talking / texting / ect all the time holding up machines. I actually stopped going to the LA Fitness that is close to me becuase of the "rude" crowd there. Only reason I keep my membership is for Racquetball on Sunday mornings with my friends.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    With doing stronglifts, I'll pull up what's on tap per workout that day on my phone... but it's never, ever:
    1. while I'm at a piece of equipment
    2. actively working out
    3. to call/message someone.
    4. even near equipment.

Aside from the headphones that I have on, people would never know I even had a phone.

Again, with you 100% on this.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym.

Problem solved!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I like this rant however I use Jefit as my trainer so I do a set enter the set to start the timer for the next set. I am at the gym to work our I ignore all texts and calls during that time but I do use my phone to track my sets and I use it for my C25K. I wish LA Fitness would put your policy in place and enforce it. I see people talking / texting / ect all the time holding up machines. I actually stopped going to the LA Fitness that is close to me becuase of the "rude" crowd there. Only reason I keep my membership is for Racquetball on Sunday mornings with my friends.
    Then you're not using the phone as an "entertainment" piece. You're using it for working out. That's a good thing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    I use my phone as a timer between sets.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Lately I keep my phone on me even when lifting because my grandfather has been in and out of the hospital for the past month. I wouldn't sit there on it though, I would leave to take a call/text about it.

When I do cardio I have my phone out because I watch Netflix.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Music fine. Listening to music isn't the same as watching a movie or reality show on your phone, texting your pal and laughing it up, all while occupying a machine or rack. Update MFP AFTER you're done with all your sets.

IDEA Fitness member
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I'm guilty of this. Sometimes I'll sit on the machine for an extra minute or so and update MFP:blushing: But only if no one is waiting behind me!!!! Most of the time I'll get off the machine and walk out into the bathroom or lobby to update it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lately I keep my phone on me even when lifting because my grandfather has been in and out of the hospital for the past month. I wouldn't sit there on it though, I would leave to take a call/text about it.

When I do cardio I have my phone out because I watch Netflix.
    Cardio machines are exceptions because people will be on them from 30-60 at a time. But a bench press, cable machine, etc shouldn't be monopolized by someone watching Netflix for 10 mins for 3 sets.

IDEA Fitness member
  • celtgirl9
    Options
    i would have a hard job as i swim lol and i totally agree, :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, look the phone police.

I use my phone in the gym and for a lot of activity.

It has

myfitnesspal
    mapmyride
    mapmyfitness
    jetfit
    jetfit pro
    strava

and my 5K to 10K podcast.

It's my timer and exercise recorder. Jetfit pro gets a lot of usage.

So between sets I'm using it. I'll rarely send an SMS because this is time for "me" but that might happen too. Just like it might happen on a long run or ride.
    In the gym, as long as I have the curtesy to clear the machine quickly and put my weights back - why is this an issue?

ETA: My phone is always on silent. I take no calls in the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i would have a hard job as i swim lol and i totally agree, :)
    Lol, there was a female at my last gym who would swim a lap, get out look at her phone, then jump back and repeat. Not sure if it was an instructional or if she was pre occupied with the phone.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh, look the phone police.

I use my phone in the gym and for a lot of activity.

It has

myfitnesspal
    mapmyride
    mapmyfitness
    jetfit
    jetfit pro
    strava

and my 5K to 10K podcast.

It's my timer and exercise recorder. Jetfit pro gets a lot of usage.

So between sets I'm using it. I'll rarely send an SMS because this is time for "me" but that might happen too. Just like it might happen on a long run or ride.
    In the gym, as long as I have the curtesy to clear the machine quickly and put my weights back - why is this an issue?

ETA: My phone is always on silent. I take no calls in the gym.
    Then you're not the problem. It's people who are preoccupied with their phones INSTEAD of working out that are.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Never met those.
    My gym has people busting their butts.

Think about a different gym?
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I'm a social worker and I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I get a call/text/email on my phone while working out. I don't have the luxury of NOT taking that call or answering the text or responding to the email. Sometimes I can drop my speed and deal with my work issue without having to completely interrupt my workout. Mabye before vilifying everyone as "lackluster" you could realize that some of us aren't professional exercisers and have things to attend to outside the gym. That said -- basic gym etiquette should always apply in that if you are waiting for a machine you smile and nicely ask them about how much longer they'll be. And if you aren't waiting for their machine it's really none of your business how they are working out.