PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I sit and text, watch youtube videos, look up interesting things on the internet, send emails, etc.while sitting on a machine. Personally, if someone wants the machine and doesn't know how, or wishes, to get the same exercise in another manner, they're more then welcome to come ask me to share the machine with them. I will gladly do it! If they're too timid to come ask to "work in", they can enjoy being quietly and discreetly angry in a corner somewhere.
    Or they could be unconfident nice people who don't like to deal with people who lack gym etiquette.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not an empathetic person for people with little personality.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ergggggggggggggh!!!! So. Totally. Agree. I have pretty pervasive ADD & someone next to me perpetually fussing w/ their phone is distracting beyond description. Also, I'm like "Yay glad you're here and doing ANYthing is better then nothing gym-wise but WTF is the point when you are leafing through a magazine and texting/talking on your phone every 3 minutes??????" My mean self is like, yup, you're the one who's like "I logged 3 HOURS of gym time and I'm not getting results......"
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Honestly most days I log my diary and such and catch up with my friends on this site while walking on the treadmill. I have all my music on my phone too so it's going to be out anyways.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Pointing out the errors of others only shows insecurity (as does listing all your credentials, btw).

It's very dangerous to give attention to the things we dislike in others...Once we start, how can we ever stop? Work out and go home.
    Lol, double standard right?

IDEA Fitness member

"Double Standard"?

If you like.

You posted your diatribe to get attention....(Just a fact).

I gave you some. ....I also gave you a solution to what's bothering you. You CAN ignore the annoying foibles of those around you...if you choose.
    No I posted it to help inform people that some that actually do it, aren't using good gym ettiquette. I've have over 100 threads on here, with more than half of them being Fitness, exercise and nutrition discussion.
    Head in the sand tactics, like you suggest I do, don't solve issues. They can be addressed and discussed. You don't like the discussion, don't participate. Stick to your own advice.

As for my credentials, there are many here that post "advice" and hopefully they like mine from the vast experience and knowledge I carry in the field. Been doing it since my very first post. Consequently, I've given out TONS of FREE advice to many and have gotten lots of PM's of thanks from them. Insecure? Naw, I'm just a guy who actually likes to help people.

Hope your response made you feel better though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I sit and text, watch youtube videos, look up interesting things on the internet, send emails, etc.while sitting on a machine. Personally, if someone wants the machine and doesn't know how, or wishes, to get the same exercise in another manner, they're more then welcome to come ask me to share the machine with them. I will gladly do it! If they're too timid to come ask to "work in", they can enjoy being quietly and discreetly angry in a corner somewhere.
    Or they could be unconfident nice people who don't like to deal with people who lack gym etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member

Empathy is understanding. You're more intolerant. Look up the definitions in the dictionary.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Empathy is understanding. You're more intolerant. Look up the definitions in the dictionary.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm so glad you're back Niner. LOL

Honestly, let's stop talking about people that talk on their cell while in the gym and focus on the people come in that smell like **** and you can smell them from 15-feet away. Okay, discuss...
  • i am a fitness instructor my self

when i am working out ALONE. i use my phone to text, listen to music , check facebook etc. THAT IS MY TIME. I am away from my 3 boys, i am not training anyone, i am not teaching a class. that is my ALONE TIME, i get on and just do the ellipical for 2 hrs while playing on my phone, the time goes by so fast that way.

and i wont stop doing it cause that is my way to relax, enjoy my workout, and to disconnect with everything going around me, the only time I dont have to chase after 3 kids.

judge all you want but I am not going to stop cause you have a problem with it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The issue the op trying to make is quite simple.... be considerate of others. Damn, if you have to take a call/text/socialize or whatever.....step away from the equipment so you dont inconvenience others.
  • Dark_amethyst
    Dark_amethyst Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I admit to using my phone during my exercise but that was to time what I was doing, such as lifting weight, using the elliptical or treadmill, but I've never just stood there doing stupid **** on it. That is a waste of time and rude when others want to use the equipment. :grumble:
  • 141by2016
    Options
    I honestly didn't think about this much at all until I read this thread. Then I started seeing it...

I work out at a place that is part rehab center in a very small town, where I as a student can get involved in sports med and geriatric rehabilitation exercise, and because I go at the same time basically six days a week I see the same people an know what they have been prescribed by their doc. The last two weeks a group of three comes in to do a plan at 8:15pm. Before reading this I paid them no mind, other than saying an encouraging word on sticking to the plan. Last night I bothered to look, and I **** you not it was 5min on the tread mill, followed by 45min of sitting on the ab machine loudly bsing with each other. I happen to know one of their prescription and that is NOT what they are supposed to be up to, but I guarantee when they go for their followup they will say they have been following it to a t. I wish I could un-see this thread and not care about what others are doing again :(

When I go to the gym it usually goes something like this: run a mile, lift some heavy things (I alternate upper and lower extremities), and then watch two lectures from the day on the elliptical or bike on my ipad with headphones in. When I am lifting I don't do anything but lift, and focus on doing it right until I can't do it anymore. When I am doing cardio I use that as study time too, and although I am dripping sweat I feel like I am not wasting precious study time.

No intent to offend, just an experience I wanted to share with the thread.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I look at my phone when entering the gym to start my playlist. I don't look at it again until I'm in the car!

Ninerbuff scares me... into doing the right thing. =)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I'm so glad you're back Niner. LOL

Honestly, let's stop talking about people that talk on their cell while in the gym and focus on the people come in that smell like **** and you can smell them from 15-feet away. Okay, discuss...
    There's this "crossfit" dude who NEVER washes his Vibram shoes and you can smell the reek from within 10 feet. It's nasty...........................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i am a fitness instructor my self

when i am working out ALONE. i use my phone to text, listen to music , check facebook etc. THAT IS MY TIME. I am away from my 3 boys, i am not training anyone, i am not teaching a class. that is my ALONE TIME, i get on and just do the ellipical for 2 hrs while playing on my phone, the time goes by so fast that way.

and i wont stop doing it cause that is my way to relax, enjoy my workout, and to disconnect with everything going around me, the only time I dont have to chase after 3 kids.

judge all you want but I am not going to stop cause you have a problem with it.
    Actually if you're on your phone doing these, then you're not really disconnected. But going on a cardio machine for an extended time isn't the same a using a rack, or machine since other people actually wait with the understanding that someone isn't going to be on there for more than 5-8 minutes average.
    I disagree, but if you feel that works for you fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    are u done ranting? How about u pay the phone bill then u would be able to say weather others can use their phone at the gym or not. U sound like a biotch on the rag man!
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree. Working out requires dedication and how can you focus on your task at hand when your attention is everywhere else. Makes sense. Focus and then play later.
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p
    I use my phone music. If I couldn't listen to my music on the elliptical, I wouldn't put nearly as much effort in because all I would be thinking about it "when the f*** is this going to be over?!" instead of trying to match the rythym with my gym jams.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If this bothers you, I can't imagine how you handle the bigger things in life. Such a miniscule thing to be concerned about. Helping people is a different from pointing out what they should do for your benefit.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I like this rant however I use Jefit as my trainer so I do a set enter the set to start the timer for the next set. I am at the gym to work our I ignore all texts and calls during that time but I do use my phone to track my sets

I also use the Jefit app to track my workout, and time my rest sets. I also use my phone for music. I usually ignore texts, and calls during my workout.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    are u done ranting? How about u pay the phone bill then u would be able to say weather others can use their phone at the gym or not. U sound like a biotch on the rag man!
    Lol, better yet, if the bill ain't paid, the phones go off.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If this bothers you, I can't imagine how you handle the bigger things in life. Such a miniscule thing to be concerned about. Helping people is a different from pointing out what they should do for your benefit.
    It's not just bothersome, it interferes with my work. I go to bring a client to a machine, and if someone is on it, I'll ask how many more sets they may have to see if it's going to be too long and I have to modify with another exercise. If they say a couple, then does one, then picks up their phone and starts texting or jacking around for the next 5 min, it's 5 min that I could have used with the client for better use. Lots of people are not familiar with gym etiquette, because let's face it, they are there for them. But it's still a place where courtesy should be executed.
    And trust me, there are more people who agree with me, then oppose. I just happen to be the mouthpiece who says it.

IDEA Fitness member