PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I only use my phone because of Pandora. My iPod doesn't have wi-fi.

Honestly, I hate having it on me while I'm working out- it drives me insane when someone calls me or texts me and my music stops when I'm in the middle of a set.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is on MFP on my phone during sex?
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Same thing when going out to dinner and everyone is on their phones. I'm like really people?

THAT is my biggest pet peeve when you're eating dinner, I don't even bring my phone into the gym
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you think no one is waiting on the machine you're on...you could be mistaken...I wouldn't stand around waiting for someone to finish...I would try to look busy or do something else while I was waiting so anyone that thinks it's ok to text, update MFP etc. while you're ON the machine...get your *kitten* up and do it somewhere else. Someone probably IS waiting, they just aren't being an *kitten* about it by standing over you.
    We need some sort of signal, then. Anyone else remember kids putting a quarter on the edge of the arcade game or pinball machine to show that they had dibs on the next game? Didn't interfere with the person currently playing, but it let them know not to just keep putting in their own quarters forever. Can anyone come up with something like that? Or should we just expect people to give some sort of indication they're waiting for the machine, or accept the consequences of not speaking up?

Sounds like people at your gym need to start stacking their plates up next to you to show that they're "next in line". Or perhaps lean them against your leg so you get their "signal".

I suppose common courtesy is a lost concept on some. Why do you need to sit on the machine after you're done with it? When you're done, move on.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    what if there was an emergency? what if you had kids and something happened while someone was watching thembut you were working out so you didnt take the call..? sometimes its necessary. HOWEVER if its not serious like that then im totally with you..
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I like this rant however I use Jefit as my trainer so I do a set enter the set to start the timer for the next set. I am at the gym to work our I ignore all texts and calls during that time but I do use my phone to track my sets and I use it for my C25K.

Same here, i track my weight x reps on my notepad and alter things as i go. but i try to be very quick as I usually only have MAX 40 minutes to workout. And I workout with a great group of men / women - we often "play thru" each others sets LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    what if there was an emergency? what if you had kids and something happened while someone was watching thembut you were working out so you didnt take the call..? sometimes its necessary. HOWEVER if its not serious like that then im totally with you..
    I have clients that have sitters. Put the phone on "silent". It will light up, vibrate, etc.

I'm not saying not to take "emergency" calls. I'm saying that the phone doesn't have to be on someone ALL the time. Take a break. Do yourself some good. Don't be a slave to the phone and don't waste other peoples time if someone intends to be a slave to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    SO SO AGREE!!! This is my biggest gym pet peeve. I was on the treadmill the other day and the woman next to me was texting back and forth constantly with someone for about 30 minutes. Number one - her phone was not on silent so I got to hear her text alert go of every 30 seconds for that whole time, like that's not annoying. Two - This was at least the third time I saw this particular woman at the gym engaging in the same behavior...texting constantly without her phone on silent. Third - And I"m sorry I'm gonna be a mean girl. You're fat, if you continue to use up the equipment performing at best a 2.5 on the treadmill you're not going to make any progress. LEAVE THE DAMN CELL PHONE IN YOUR LOCKER AND GET SERIOUS ABOUT WORKING OUT!!!

lol...sorry I said it was my biggest pet peeve!
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Music, must have music to workout.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Music, must have music to workout.
    That's fine. Some people who are tone deaf have a tendency to sing out loud while they workout and listen to their music. Not fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MattN1972
    Options
    Hold on, I got a call. I'll respond to this in a minute.

thanks.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
    This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
    Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
    Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

IDEA Fitness member

I can't stand lifting with my phone. Other people don't bother me, don't care as long as they stay the hell out of my way.
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do, i use pandora on my phone and then sometimes the song that is on is slowing me down instead of boosting up my energy so then i have to change the station.. and i also log my calories burned on MFP from my phone.. but i wait till im in the locker room and done to do that.
    id like to use my itouch at the gym but its broken. =( i agree though socializing at the gym sucks! i hate seeing people just machine hopping and on their phone. if im working out and my phone rings,, it annoys me cause i have my headphones on and in the zone. no distractions please. =)
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For me, by having my phone on me and not an ipod i get text from my bf or family and it adds pressure to cut my workout in half cause i have other things to do... the gym is to clear your mind, work on you and just feel good... but when u have outside sources cutting into that "ME" time.. it can really kill your work out.
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing lol, the phone would get wet :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but if the gym makes me put my phone away, I might not go. I have to be accessible to clients at all times.
  • smruggles
    smruggles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio I have my phone out because I watch Netflix.

I'm sorry about your grandfather, but also... you can watch Netflix on your phone?! =) That's great!
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    Hold on, I got a call. I'll respond to this in a minute.

thanks.

lmao
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do use it to enter stuff in MFP and listen to music. Occasionally I'll even read my homework on it. However, I NEVER sit at a machine without going full force. If I can't do both I have to pick one. Texting and social media just have to wait because I can't type and move at full speed :tongue: Hate us if you want, but some of us can't workout without music or something else to distract. Without my smartphone I wouldn't be a gym junkie.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sorry, but if the gym makes me put my phone away, I might not go. I have to be accessible to clients at all times.
    Then you live for your clients. Whatever floats your boat then.

IDEA Fitness member