PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's frustrating, when the person next to me on the treadmill is yapping away on their phone. I can't hear my Netflix playing on my iPad through a Bluetooth headset while I run.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    IMHO it points to a deeper problem in modern life. We can't focus on one thing for 2 seconds anymore.

If you're doing something and it's worth doing, then do it. Don't *kitten* around doing something else at the same time!

This is separate from the courtesy issue, which may or may not be a symptom of modern life..... if you're not using something then why hog it up so others can't use it (the other thread has a great story about a guy hogging three benches, whilst not actually using any of them.....). Now, if you're proud of being selfish or ignorant, fine. That sucks for you, but try not to make things suck for everyone else too! It's bad enough that people feel they have a god-given right to be rude to each other on the internet..... but when douche-baggery is written all over daily life too, it makes Jimmer sad.....
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Listening to music (have yet to work out in a gym that doesn't have music playing in the background) for preference working out, isn't the same as doing 10 reps, stopping picking up the phone, texting conversation for 2 minutes, stopping again, do another set, pick the phone, continue conversation, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Is there a difference between sitting on a machine for your 2 minute rest set or texting? It is still taking up the machine so someone else can't use it.

Personally I usually use my rest time to change weight, stretch, and get a drink of water, but there are times I will just sit there, too.
  • i am a fitness instructor my self

when i am working out ALONE. i use my phone to text, listen to music , check facebook etc. THAT IS MY TIME. I am away from my 3 boys, i am not training anyone, i am not teaching a class. that is my ALONE TIME, i get on and just do the ellipical for 2 hrs while playing on my phone, the time goes by so fast that way.

and i wont stop doing it cause that is my way to relax, enjoy my workout, and to disconnect with everything going around me, the only time I dont have to chase after 3 kids.

judge all you want but I am not going to stop cause you have a problem with it.
    Actually if you're on your phone doing these, then you're not really disconnected. But going on a cardio machine for an extended time isn't the same a using a rack, or machine since other people actually wait with the understanding that someone isn't going to be on there for more than 5-8 minutes average.
    I disagree, but if you feel that works for you fine.

IDEA Fitness member

WTH 5-8 mins on the ellipical is not a workout. that is not even a warm up. You should be on it for 1hr min. and when I am on it my resistance is set to 20. and I am on that thing for 2 hrs max. and I disconnect from people around me, I dont want anyone coming up to me talking to me. or asking weightloss questions, I want to be ALONE. so i bury my head in my phone and it works.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    IMHO it points to a deeper problem in modern life. We can't focus on one thing for 2 seconds anymore.

If you're doing something and it's worth doing, then do it. Don't *kitten* around doing something else at the same time!

This is separate from the courtesy issue, which may or may not be a symptom of modern life..... if you're not using something then why hog it up so others can't use it (the other thread has a great story about a guy hogging three benches, whilst not actually using any of them.....). Now, if you're proud of being selfish or ignorant, fine. That sucks for you, but try not to make things suck for everyone else too! It's bad enough that people feel they have a god-given right to be rude to each other on the internet..... but when douche-baggery is written all over daily life too, it makes Jimmer sad.....

you are missing the point. we aren't talking about people who are done with the equipment and still sitting on it using their phone. we are talking about if you are between sets and decide to take your phone out for a minute. for some reason the OP thinks this is rude. i think the OP thinks the world revolves around him/her.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    i am a fitness instructor my self

when i am working out ALONE. i use my phone to text, listen to music , check facebook etc. THAT IS MY TIME. I am away from my 3 boys, i am not training anyone, i am not teaching a class. that is my ALONE TIME, i get on and just do the ellipical for 2 hrs while playing on my phone, the time goes by so fast that way.

and i wont stop doing it cause that is my way to relax, enjoy my workout, and to disconnect with everything going around me, the only time I dont have to chase after 3 kids.

excellent post!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Listening to music (have yet to work out in a gym that doesn't have music playing in the background) for preference working out, isn't the same as doing 10 reps, stopping picking up the phone, texting conversation for 2 minutes, stopping again, do another set, pick the phone, continue conversation, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

Is there a difference between sitting on a machine for your 2 minute rest set or texting? It is still taking up the machine so someone else can't use it.

Personally I usually use my rest time to change weight, stretch, and get a drink of water, but there are times I will just sit there, too.
    Either is bad etiquette if someone is waiting to use the machine, but the perception is the one texting they are more "distracted".
    There's nothing wrong with changing weights (because the perception there is that you're not done yet), stretching etc. You're still doing something physically active. I don't view texting on a phone as a physical activity. I doubt many would.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i am a fitness instructor my self

Actually if you're on your phone doing these, then you're not really disconnected. But going on a cardio machine for an extended time isn't the same a using a rack, or machine since other people actually wait with the understanding that someone isn't going to be on there for more than 5-8 minutes average.
    I disagree, but if you feel that works for you fine.

IDEA Fitness member

WTH 5-8 mins on the ellipical is not a workout. that is not even a warm up. You should be on it for 1hr min. and when I am on it my resistance is set to 20. and I am on that thing for 2 hrs max. and I disconnect from people around me, I dont want anyone coming up to me talking to me. or asking weightloss questions, I want to be ALONE. so i bury my head in my phone and it works.
    Guess you didn't really read my whole response, but just what you wanted to read. I addressed the LONG CARDIO machine issue in it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

you are missing the point. we aren't talking about people who are done with the equipment and still sitting on it using their phone. we are talking about if you are between sets and decide to take your phone out for a minute. for some reason the OP thinks this is rude. i think the OP thinks the world revolves around him/her.
    A minute, fine. Unfortunately that NOT how it is. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm in the gym much longer than many others are since it's my job, and I'm sure I see much more.
    You have your opinion, I'll stick with mine. Trust me when I say there are more people who actually agree with me, compared to those that disagree.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
    This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
    Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
    Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

IDEA Fitness member

Is your requirement still acceptable after the tragedy of yesterday?
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of using my phone at the gym to watch movies or YouTube videos. It keeps me motivated to go. However it is very annoying when people talk on the phone or text instead of using the machine.
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    That is one reason why I don't like even going with a partner. Either they are of no use because they are on their phone while I work out OR all they want to do is talk to me and I'm like HELLO?! I have my iPod in, leave me alone.
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
    This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
    Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
    Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

IDEA Fitness member

Is your requirement still acceptable after the tragedy of yesterday?

That is irrelevant. He just doesn't want people to chat away while they are at the gym. My phone is on silent at the gym, but I continually check it inbetween machines, bathroom break, or water break. He is not saying forget the world exists around you, but if you are hogging a machine don't be on your phone talking/texting about your weekend plans or the cute people at the gym.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It's not just bothersome, it interferes with my work. I go to bring a client to a machine, and if someone is on it, I'll ask how many more sets they may have to see if it's going to be too long and I have to modify with another exercise. If they say a couple, then does one, then picks up their phone and starts texting or jacking around for the next 5 min, it's 5 min that I could have used with the client for better use. Lots of people are not familiar with gym etiquette, because let's face it, they are there for them. But it's still a place where courtesy should be executed.
    And trust me, there are more people who agree with me, then oppose. I just happen to be the mouthpiece who says it.

IDEA Fitness member

if you get rid of all the people using their smart phones at your gym, you might not have a job at the gym

(just another way to look at it)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    people just seem to lack common courtesy these days:'(
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    A minute, fine. Unfortunately that NOT how it is. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm in the gym much longer than many others are since it's my job, and I'm sure I see much more.
    You have your opinion, I'll stick with mine. Trust me when I say there are more people who actually agree with me, compared to those that disagree.

IDEA Fitness member

Trust me when i say there are way more people who dont care if someone is on their phone texting between sets than those that do care. and that disparity will only increase more as older people who are not comfortable with that technology leave the gyms for good and are replaced by more and more that are comfortable wiht the tech.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    LoL
    I go to the gym to socialize not workout

We all have different goals, don't judge me
  • penith113
    penith113 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to listen to music and to keep track of the weights and reps on the machines. Had no idea that me using my phone as a tool to help with my weight loss would annoy anyone. I have not had any conversations but I would take a call if it was important.
    I have never been annoyed by anyone else using their phone at the gym either. I'm in sort of a rural area if that makes a difference at all.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    again : people just lack common. courtesy these days...see?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    again : people just lack common. courtesy these days...see?

i agree. people like the OP should mind their own business and stop telling everyone what they should be doing.