OT: Having a hard time getting a job.

Options

Replies

• OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    While I have no advice, I can let you know that you are not alone. I graduated in March. Great experience, great school, no job. I am have been doing what I was doing before I went to school and making less doing it. All the advice books and sites I read just say keep your head up, keep applying, and do your best to stay confident. I'm not inspired by that either, but it's nice to not feel like the only person going through it.

I know a friend who got a 4 year degree in management and can't get hired either. They also keep telling him that he's overqualified. It's really unfortunate but it seems like it's better off not to get a degree sometimes, especially in business management as everyone around the area I live in that I know who's gotten that degree has the same problems. The businesses would rather hire someone with less experience and schooling because it's cheaper. IMO. However, I don't have a degree yet and I'm having a hard time finding a job too, but at the moment I'm blaming this problem on my last job, so my situation may not even count! Good luck in finding a job! :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    It can take months, unfortunately, especially if your field is very specialized. Do you know anyone on LinkdIn? Use your contacts to help point you to places. One thing I have found (and I have switched careers twice), is that it's not your resume that gets you the job, it's the cover letter. Make sure you tailor each one to the specific job. Address specific things they are looking for in the cover letter. Make sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors. The resume just backs it up and when you go for your interview you can explain that more. Good luck! Don't give up!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Many larger companies use automated resume readers to filter resumes, especially in this time when the number of applicants far outweigh the number of jobs. I had my resume out there for 3 years, updating it constantly, while I was looking for a new job (thankfully, I had a job in the mean time). It wasn't until I combed several job listings and extracted buzz words from the job listings (not synonyms, but the exact words and phrases) that I started getting calls for interviews and working with internal recruiters. Also, there is definitely something to be said for someone passing a resume to their boss by hand (with their recommendation).

Also, if you can find a profession specific group to join or publication to receive . . . do that and go to events. The group will be good for networking, and many have bulletins that include profession specific job openings.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    While reading these posts, it is pretty frightening. One of the posters put something about only getting a chance to talk with the front desk person. Never underestimate the first person you contact when looking for a job. Secretaries and support staff can make or break you. If you don't impress them, you will not go any further in your search

Very good tip, in fact that receptionist just may be the owner filling in for a lunch break or the wife/daughter of the boss.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Proves the economy is still in the tanker despite what everyone is saying. My only advice is to keep doing what you are doing. Keep applying. Keep annoying. Presistence will pay off.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Having a bachelor's degree you could do substitute teaching....

Depends on where she is. You have to have a master's to sub in New York state.

Or at least be certified.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Many larger companies use automated resume readers to filter resumes, especially in this time when the number of applicants far outweigh the number of jobs. I had my resume out there for 3 years, updating it constantly, while I was looking for a new job (thankfully, I had a job in the mean time). It wasn't until I combed several job listings and extracted buzz words from the job listings (not synonyms, but the exact words and phrases) that I started getting calls for interviews and working with internal recruiters. Also, there is definitely something to be said for someone passing a resume to their boss by hand (with their recommendation).

Also, if you can find a profession specific group to join or publication to receive . . . do that and go to events. The group will be good for networking, and many have bulletins that include profession specific job openings.

Oh and this pully any buzz words you can. Read the job description if possible and get on the websight pull some lines from their mission statement or philosphy if you can and put that in the cover letter. Tie their philosophy with your philosophy.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I do apologize for your situation. But I can say that it is always easier to get a job you want when you already have a job... I know that it is frustrating to have to take a job that you are over qualified for... But the cell phone company will take your money just as well if you are a janitor, as they will if you are the C.E.O of a major corporation... With the economy the way it is you probably aren't going to get the exact job you want right out of college. You may have to start out as a file clerk and work your way up the company... My suggestion... Ask EVERYONE if they are hiring, and apply EVERYWHERE even if it doesn't sound like a job you are thrilled about... You can still apply for other jobs... but having a job is better than having no job. Go to fast food restaurants, hotels, retail stores, pet shops, churches, anywhere, ask if they are hiring or know of anyone that is. Look online and in the paper too... Since you don't have a job, consider looking for a job, as your full-time job until you find one... If you legitimately spent 40 hrs a week looking for, and applying for jobs, I'd be surprised if you don't have a job in a month... It may not be the job you want, but it will still be a job to help pay the bills.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    The whole nation in all different fields are losing their jobs or losing hours. The Health field is also taking a hit. Unfortunately with all the cut backs in health care Speech Pathologists are also looking for jobs. My husband has been a Speech Pathologist for over 20 years and has a job but has no patients to see. To the employer he hasn't lost a job there just aren't patients to see. Needless to say he is not qualified for unemployment and now we are going to be forced to go COBRA for Health Insurance. I am going back to work in January after the holidays. I will be going back to Home Health. I am a RN and I used to love working in Nursing Homes but they have doubled the number of patiests a nurse has. Happy Holidays
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone!!! You are amazing for all the helpful responses. There are so many that I figured I'd just respond in one post, attempting to hit the points that came up most:

1) I wasn't on LinkedIn until someone on this thread mentioned it last night. Then and there I created an account and really polished it off. I searched for everyone… ANYONE… I know but didn't have any luck. I even tried looking up old acquaintances, people I haven't seen since high school, and my parent's friends… and their friends… etc. There aren't many companies on there in my field, and there aren't many companies in my area posted. Maybe because the site is "new"? I don't know. But I didn't have much luck on it.

2) I have applied to jobs outside my area. I live in a "big" town, about 70,000 people but have larger cities like Boston just 1.5 hours away. I applied there, so we'll see how that goes. I'm just weary about the commute which costs money. I don't have much of that right now. I would relocate but once again... no money!

3) My resume AND cover letter have been reviewed by former employers and professors. With each job I apply for, I update my R/CL and run it by someone I trust, usually my father because he's been a Senior VP for 22 years, so he knows what he's doing. I also do the "buzz words" thing (taking select, important words from job postings and include them.)

4) I have considered substitute teaching, but in my state I would need a teaching degree/certificate and a Master's.

5) I am applying everywhere; for jobs that I'm qualified and OVER qualified for. I have a degree and am applying at thrift stores, retail stores, hardware, the mall, local businesses, etc. I really don't mind where I get a job at this point, even if it's not in my field, because I just need money and more experience, apparently. So no, I'm not being a "job snob" and holding out for my dream position. :wink:

6) There aren't many internships in my area. I would apply to one outside my area, there are TONS in Boston, but commuting (about 1.5 hours each way) requires money which I don't have at the moment. I love the idea of getting an internship or volunteering, but I'm going to say something here that I probably shouldn't… I really DO need the money. I have bills and really cannot afford to spend 6 months at an unpaid position even if it gets me more experience. My parents have been on my *kitten* about it, and even if I wanted to do something unpaid, they would be pissed.

7) To the people who said I need to be more aggressive and throw the rules out the window… I agree to a certain extent. However… a month or so ago there was a job I REALLY wanted, so I did just that… threw the rules out the window. The job said not to contact them, but I did anyway. I was extremely polite and nice. The HR woman was rude and said they were considering me and would let me know (no matter what the decision), but not to call again. She never contacted me. It scared me into doing that again because I really can't afford to miss out on anything because I didn't follow their rules. I've had other former employers say that they really do want people to follow their posted guidelines, and that it's not "just a test" to see who wants the job most. They want people that follow directions.

8) I have applied for jobs that aren't even hiring. I just put in applications in the hopes that a position might open up.

Anywho… thanks everyone for the responses! It's nice knowing that I'm not alone:flowerforyou:
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I hope you have considered going to the Workforce Center as I suggested. Sometimes just having a relationship with someone who knows someone in business is a good thing. I just got two people hired in the last three months. They were Long Term Unemployed. Also, you may qualify for assistance since you, yourself might be considered Long Term Unemployed since you have been out of work for a few months. Go check it out. They have leads, options, and they can help.

In fact, unlike other agencies, they are government and they are obligated to help! Let me know how it goes.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Everyone!!! You are amazing for all the helpful responses. There are so many that I figured I'd just respond in one post, attempting to hit the points that came up most:

1) I wasn't on LinkedIn until someone on this thread mentioned it last night. Then and there I created an account and really polished it off. I searched for everyone… ANYONE… I know but didn't have any luck. I even tried looking up old acquaintances, people I haven't seen since high school, and my parent's friends… and their friends… etc. There aren't many companies on there in my field, and there aren't many companies in my area posted. Maybe because the site is "new"? I don't know. But I didn't have much luck on it.

2) I have applied to jobs outside my area. I live in a "big" town, about 70,000 people but have larger cities like Boston just 1.5 hours away. I applied there, so we'll see how that goes. I'm just weary about the commute which costs money. I don't have much of that right now. I would relocate but once again... no money!

3) My resume AND cover letter have been reviewed by former employers and professors. With each job I apply for, I update my R/CL and run it by someone I trust, usually my father because he's been a Senior VP for 22 years, so he knows what he's doing. I also do the "buzz words" thing (taking select, important words from job postings and include them.)

4) I have considered substitute teaching, but in my state I would need a teaching degree/certificate and a Master's.

5) I am applying everywhere; for jobs that I'm qualified and OVER qualified for. I have a degree and am applying at thrift stores, retail stores, hardware, the mall, local businesses, etc. I really don't mind where I get a job at this point, even if it's not in my field, because I just need money and more experience, apparently. So no, I'm not being a "job snob" and holding out for my dream position. :wink:

6) There aren't many internships in my area. I would apply to one outside my area, there are TONS in Boston, but commuting (about 1.5 hours each way) requires money which I don't have at the moment. I love the idea of getting an internship or volunteering, but I'm going to say something here that I probably shouldn't… I really DO need the money. I have bills and really cannot afford to spend 6 months at an unpaid position even if it gets me more experience. My parents have been on my *kitten* about it, and even if I wanted to do something unpaid, they would be pissed.

7) To the people who said I need to be more aggressive and throw the rules out the window… I agree to a certain extent. However… a month or so ago there was a job I REALLY wanted, so I did just that… threw the rules out the window. The job said not to contact them, but I did anyway. I was extremely polite and nice. The HR woman was rude and said they were considering me and would let me know (no matter what the decision), but not to call again. She never contacted me. It scared me into doing that again because I really can't afford to miss out on anything because I didn't follow their rules. I've had other former employers say that they really do want people to follow their posted guidelines, and that it's not "just a test" to see who wants the job most. They want people that follow directions.

8) I have applied for jobs that aren't even hiring. I just put in applications in the hopes that a position might open up.

Anywho… thanks everyone for the responses! It's nice knowing that I'm not alone:flowerforyou:

AVOID HR LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! :smile:

Contact managers at the department level - HR tends to get in the way.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Buzzwords can hurt as much as they help, depending on the recruiter. Use them JUDICIOUSLY in relation to specific knowledge/tasks; minimize in relation to self-description.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Contact managers at the department level - HR tends to get in the way.[b/]

This is a perfect example of making your own rules. Some HR people are real jerks.

I am an independent consultant and do my own thing. A few years ago a contact called and asked if I would be interested in a permanent position with a company that was looking for someone like me.

I submitted my resume to HR and was contacted by the HR honcho. She informed me that I would have to provide my SS number before they would interview me. I said nope, I will provide that if we both found a mutual interest. She got all uppity and told me that it was her way or no way; that since I would be given a company vehicle & credit cards that it was important they know more about me.

I explained that I personally wouldnt hire anyone who would freely give such information over the phone to a stranger. How could she trust someone who used such poor judgement with company assets? I stayed the professional and graciously thanked her for her time & declined to continue with this process.

About 9 months later she called and asked if I would be interested in visiting with her. She said that they would waive the SS# requirement until just before I started the interview. I again explained that I also would be making the decision whether to accept employment with her firm, & would not provide my confidential info until we both had an agreement.

Based on the fact that this company has not been able to keep a qualified person in this position, I assume that they dont have a lot of consideration or respect for their employees. I stuck with my rules, impressed them with my assertive leadership & saved myself a lot of BS. Good quality people are hard to find & the key people with this firm remember me.

BTW The HR gal is no longer with the company & over the years I have become acquaintances with the VP, and he offered me a position last year.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Your college likely has an alumni network. Reach out to alumni that have jobs you are interested in (linkedin will help you find them too)--it's flattering to them and most people like to help others.
  • cocodiva31
    Options
    1) Pray and ask the Lord to help you

2) Keep sending resumes and job hunting

3) Dont get discouraged and keep faith in Him

I know its hard but just keep pressing on, He rewards diligence, You will find something just keep a positive outlook and let Him guide you :flowerforyou:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Try going on a job site that is specific to your field. I used a tech-specific job site and was working within 3 months or so of graduation.

I'm applying to jobs directly through the companies website. The options are either applying online through the site or sending in resume/cover letter through snail mail. I use email because I'm afraid of my stuff getting lost in transit.

Network. Being a random applicant isn't the best way to go.
    Your college likely has an alumni network. Reach out to alumni that have jobs you are interested in (linkedin will help you find them too)--it's flattering to them and most people like to help others.

In theory, alumni networking is better than being a random applicant. And since I just advised networking, that's a place to start. However, the thing I find about networking is that it is better to build the network in advance than starting your networking coming from a place of weakness (needing a job immediately).

Contact managers at the department level - HR tends to get in the way.

Mostly true in my experience.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Try going on a job site that is specific to your field. I used a tech-specific job site and was working within 3 months or so of graduation.

I'm applying to jobs directly through the companies website. The options are either applying online through the site or sending in resume/cover letter through snail mail. I use email because I'm afraid of my stuff getting lost in transit.

Network. Being a random applicant isn't the best way to go.

I agree; nothing is more effective than leveraging social capital.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I apologize as I haven't read all the replies.

When I graduated with a BA in accounting, there was a major recession going on. None of the Big 8 were really hiring. I lived in a big city, and there were no opening positions. I joined a temp agency. My very first "temp" job, I was hired into a major company's accounting department . . . . if as an accounting clerk. I stayed there and was promoted 3 times. I got into a full accountant's position, and later went into the Big 8. I passed my CPA exam, and later became a tax manager to a major company.

Please try a temp agency. I did "Kelly", believe it or not. It's about getting your foot in the door.

Try for jobs in areas of the country without a recession going on. TEXAS. Go to Texas.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Life is who you know. Expand your circle and use it. Let everyone know what you're looking for.

An example - a friend of mine just moved from California to NYC. She's job hunting and was interested in a position at an up and coming fashion label. She did some research and saw which venture capital firms had invested in the company. She contacted me because I used to work at one of those venture capital firms. I happen to be Facebook friends with the person at the venture capital firm who is most actively involved with that company and be was able to connect my friend directly to the CFO of the company. How awesome is that?! So much in life is who you know and using those connections.

Are recruiters active in your field? I've never found applying through a company's website to be an effective way to get a job. I've always worked through a recruiter or have let them come to me.