OT: Having a hard time getting a job.

Options
1235»

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Just be wary of the whole "further education" thing. I've got a job as a professor at a fairly big university, and I've seen students graduate with an MA or a PhD who have ended up stocking the shelves at Walmart. Seriously.

Agree. Make due with your current education. Don't start a new degree program.

The MA of PhD graduate who is stocking shelves at Walmart (a high school graduate level job at best) shows a major dysfunction in the macroeconomy. That is a waste of human capital.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a B.A. and J.D. I graduated with my J.D. last year I've been looking for a job fairly actively since January and still no luck. You'd think a law degree would mean something, but nope. It's a bad economy. I feel bad that I'm looking forward to the baby boomers either retiring or dying (that's messed up), but their generation has a lot more people in it than my generation so many jobs will open up when this starts to happen.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    My suggestion: network like crazy. A lot of times in the job hunt, it's all about who you know.

This X 100. You would be shocked how many people you already know that could probably help you get your foot in the door!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Just be wary of the whole "further education" thing. I've got a job as a professor at a fairly big university, and I've seen students graduate with an MA or a PhD who have ended up stocking the shelves at Walmart. Seriously.

The MA of PhD graduate who is stocking shelves at Walmart (a high school graduate level job at best) shows a major dysfunction in the macroeconomy. That is a waste of human capital.

That MA of PhD graduate could have been a great student, but a horse *kitten* worker.... I've seen many in my life.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

That MA of PhD graduate could have been a great student, but a horse *kitten* worker.... I've seen many in my life.

Horse *kitten* worker in what capacity? Is it a job that matches their intellectual capital? I believe that workers often play up or play down to the task they are given.