How do you wake up early for exercise?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person at all, but I have to wake up early for work anyway, and don't want to get up at 5:30 to go to the gym in time to get ready for work. But, when I'm going right after, I have to have my stuff around, otherwise the tv will end up tempting me. Putting a water bottle in the fridge, charging my ipod, etc are all good ways of reminding me to get it together.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I used to get up at 5:00 am and workout. But I had to take a break do to a injury. Know,I'm back to working out. This is my first week back, I'm really sore ,but I'm going for,it, hoping to start getting up early in about a month.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Start going to bed at the same time every night (a time tha allows you 8 hours of sleep)... slowly but surely your body will adjust and start getting up at the end of a rem cycle (probably prior to hitting 8 hour mark) and you should feel refreshed and ready to exercise.
  • melancholyjen
    melancholyjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i'm one of the few lucky (and sometimes not so lucky people) that work at night. so i usually get up around 9:30-1030am to workout/run. it really just depends. i get off work at 1am and i don't have children to tend to, so i have some flexibility.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:45 in the AM,3- 5 days a week for 5:30 bootcamp.

How do I do it? Suck it up and do it. It sucks, but you feel great when the workout is done.

My clothing is laid out the PM before. Brush my teeth, wash my face, eat a teeny breakfast and hit it. 8 months of doing so, I am used to it.

If I need the sleep more and can't get my butt out of bed- I hit the treadmill or zumba that day instead. I listen to my body...
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What helps me get by butt out of bed at 5:30 am is my DIL coming down the stairs to go with me to work out. My clothes are laid out the night before. Ear buds, door key, car keys, water, and coat are on the table and shoes are by the door. I am not a morning person either, especially at that time of the morning but we are motivated and dedicated. I now go to bed at 9:00 pm instead of sometime between 11 pm and 1 am. We work out for two hours M-F, take Saturday as a rest day, and a Zumba class on Sunday evening.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I set a travel alarm in the bathroom so I have to drag myself all the way out of bed. I prep everything the night before and make sure to get to bed at a decent time.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do lay my clothes out the night before, but a lot of it is just in your mind - you have to decide that you're going to do it, no excuses. If you tend to hit the snooze button on the alarm, move your clock or phone across the room so you have to get out of bed to make it stop. It's rough at first, but it becomes habit eventually. :smile:

I get up at 5am & workout at home - if I don't get up and do it before my family is out of bed, it doesn't happen, and I hate that feeling of regret later in the day for having missed the workout. So I suppose that's part of my motivation for getting up early.

I too have to do it in the morning simply because I work shifts & have a toddler and the last thing on my agenda after a day working is fitting in exercise because it's my family time.

I feel refreshed and full of life and energy after my work out in the morning and that's what motivates me. Other people start their day with coffee to wake, I start with a power walk or jog! Granted some mornings it's the hardest thing to do. But once you start and maintain it for a while, it becomes natural...well almost natural and a habit.

good luck
  • notyourpalbuddy
    Options
    I need to start working out in the morning and the thought of that just makes me go "arghhhhhh". The last thing I want to do after battling rush hour traffic is work out. Sounds like its time to just man up.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cinlouhou
    Options
    :happy: Trust me I love my sleep but when theres no other option BUT to wake up at 5:30am and get in a great Les Mills Combat workout, thats what has to be done. On weekends I sleep till about 8:30 then get it done before the day gets too busy.
    It wasn't always easy to get up at that time but now after 3 years my body it use to it. (It didn't take 3 years to get use to it..lol)
    On days where I feel like I drag my but out of bed and I know I have a killer cardio workout I will admit to using E&E for energy.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I've never even thought of that before - I want to start next Tuesday/Wednesday since I gym saturday to monday but I take soo long to get changed!
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! :)