Why do people hide their diaries?

Options

Replies

• rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly for shame of what they eat.

um, no,,, it's just none of your business
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I don't like people commenting on my bad food choices. Its humiliating! Maybe someday i'll open it again when i cut out the crap after Christmas but right now people can p*ss off!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have it set to friends only. If you want to know what I eat, be my friend. Otherwise, why should you know or care? I don't even look at my friends diaries much unless they ask a question or want advice.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly for shame of what they eat.

hahaha

my food diary is actually instagram. cant fake that kind of diary!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm on a VLCD (nutritionist supervised) which is highly frowned upon here at MFP and I don't need constant comments that I'm not eating enough.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I love MFP but there are a few MFPisms I don't agree with.

1 is that you shouldn't weigh-in daily when clearly the evidence is that daily weigh-ins are effective in weight loss. However if someone has a problem with weighing in daily they shouldn't do it.

MFP says you have to weigh in every day?

MFP does recommend that you do it weekly, but I suspect she meant the collective wisdom. I weigh daily but record weekly to minimise fluctuations due to hydration.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to hide my diary from everyone cause i was eating sooooo bad. now i keep it open to friends so i will feel more motivated to eat right so i dont get lectured!! i still make bad choices, but i always try to keep my numbers green!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't need a bunch of random people who don't know my issues/story judging me for what I eat. Most of my MFP friends have some idea.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple friends who battle eating disorders and the scrutiny of their diaries is detrimental to them right now, although they have indicated the plan to open it up as they recover.

I keep mine open for accountability, but I have thick skin and if people are mean about what I eat, I really don't give a cr*p... But that's just me...
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    It's their own choice, if they don't want people so see what they're putting in their mouth that's up to them... Personally.. I hardly ever check anyone else's food diary lol... I'm just too lazy to have a look at what everyone's eating.. I'd rather focus on what I'M eating and doing...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't "hide" my diary. What I put in my body is my business, and I'm not here to give people ideas of what to eat. I'm here for me. If I ever needed to ask for help, I would open it, but that has never been the case.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Mine was open to everyone until I hit goal weight because I wasn't sure what I was doing at first, now it's open only to friends. I'm doing fine right now and don't need any opinions or help on it and if that changes then I'll re-open it.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I eat people. I like keeping that to myself. Otherwise, law enforcement gets involved, and then I have to clean up and hide my stash, and blah blah blah.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.

Ditto. If I'm going in the wrong direction, I'm well aware of why.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I unfriend anyone who has a private diary! The main reason i use MFP is to get healthy food ideas and see what works and what doesn't calorie wise.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I have come across some surprisingly judgy people here. I have not been attacked by anyone, but have been witness to some very rude, and actually mean, attacks.

I do not eat "clean." I do not deprive myself. I simply limit my calories and net my daily goal give or take a few. I do not intend to start eating clean. And I do not wish to be judged for it. What I am doing is working for me. I eat some healthy and some not-so-much. Once in a while, lunch/dinner is a delicious, high fat, high calorie shake from Coldstone Creamery. Of course, I do this w/in my calorie budget, and I do not do it often at all, so I'm in good health and I am losing weight. And I can do this w/o guilt or regret.

So, that's my answer, personally, to your question.

As a side, I suppose I might be inclined to open my diary IF I were interested in someone else's diary. But I'm just not. Here, I'm doing my own thing and learning new things by perusing and participating in these message boards. BTW, I think that mostly, this is a happy, positive place, and most of the nice folks are truly helpful and very supportive.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel like letting a bunch of random people flip through my food choices. I originally joined MFP because I figured it was more efficient in terms of time and space than keeping a food journal on paper and calculating the calories by myself. For months I was logging every day but had zero friends. I got into the whole friends and forum thing when I searched the boards for hypothyroidism and found out how many people are struggling with the same problems I have.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Im not worried about profile creeping, unsolicited advice, criticism or judging - all are welcome to my little space on the internet. I look at others diaries for new food ideas.

I also suggest you not put anything on the internet you dont want the world to see.

Best to all and if I can help in some way Im happy to do so.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone has an opinion about the "right" way to diet and some are quite militant about it, doomsaying and second guessing everything you do. I barely have time to enter the stuff and get all the necessary exercise and healthy meal preps done to stay on track. If I had to put up with every random stranger who felt it necessary to tell me I was doing it all wrong and that I was doomed to failure and death if I didn't do it their way, I would go INSANE!! I learned a long time ago to smile gracefully but tune out all the conflicting advice but I don't need to have the distraction of having to filter out that kind of information overload, as well meaning as people may be. So I have friends that I know personally face to face on here only, and we respect each other, support one another and don't overload one another with unsolicited advice so I keep my diary to only them. That's why I do it--don't know about anyone else.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Because they are not here to work out and lose weight but to use this as a dating site...............Oh hey how you doing? You come here often?

3381273_o.gif