Do You Feel Sale?

Options

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking sweetnothing away from that mess. She's cute and has a sense of humor!

and that was a joke, she may be happily married and love living where she is :)

Living in a bad part of town will do wonders for a personality... Trust me.

I grew up as a little white guy in Petersburg, VA. My personality learned to punch fast and run fast. Hehe. Nobody ever believed the little guy would hit and run.

Thumbs up. I can relate.

Wear a hat . . . throw it at them . . . follow with fists . . .. only hit the face . . . if they go down, kick . . . if not, bail quick. Never, ever let someone get ahold of you. It worked many, many times.

and ladies take note of that. A purse works and their eyes almost always follow it. If you can't punch, run and yell!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest... and was at the mall in question on Tuesday with my two homeschooled children. Luckily for us we left the mall at 2:30. We were Christmas shopping at REI on the outside "open air" side of the mall. My daughter wanted actually go into the mall to look for a present for Daddy. I had told her I'm not sure... we'll have to see how much time we had.

In all honesty, we had plenty of time to do some mall shopping that day. The only thing we had to be at was at 7pm, and it was only a little before 2 when I made that statement. But I felt really uneasy. Once we had been in REI for a good 30-45 minutes I really started getting antsy... like a caged animal trying to move to higher ground when a storm is coming. I snapped at my daughter regarding making a decision... and probably looked like a complete idiot. But, we left the store and did not go into the actual mall. Instead we drove a few streets over to Cost-co and continued our shopping.

It wasn't until hours later that I was talking to a friend out of state, that I put two and two together. She asked me if I had heard about the mall shooting... and I said "do you know where?" She said no, so I replied that it was probably at "Lloyd Center" (a mall in NE Portland that has gang related activity all the time). In any case I was shocked when I found out that it was at Clackams Town Center.... and that we were there just 60 minutes before the shooting happened.

This has been a week of re-assessment for me. I was starting to feel discouraged regarding my weight loss (I'm only down .2 pounds in the last 3 weeks). But then the shooting happened. It was while I was talking about it to my 12 yr old after his youth group meeting that I really started to put together some connections.

Had I not listed to that "still small voice" that I am 100% positive was God telling me to get the heck out of there, we would have been in the mall at the time of the shooting. I have no idea where we would have been at the time of the shooting, but I can tell you this... If hiding wasn't an option, I would have told my son to run, and I would have picked my 8 yr old daughter onto my back and we would have ran to the parking lot to safety.

My son, looked at me skeptical when I told him this. I'm still big... even though I've lost 46 lbs since June, and I'm sure my son still sees me as the unathletic mother he's always had. He said, "are you sure Mom?" To which I could confidently say "yes. Your mother can run for 30 minutes non-stop now... and I've almost lost as much as your sister weighs... so yes, with the added adrenaline, I would have been able to run us out of there... and I probably would have beat you to the doors too!"

The very next thing I thought was "damn... that would have been the worst "workout" ever... but I would have counted it!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    "feeling safe" is an illusion afforded to those who have never been victims.

I disagree.
    I've been a victim... I refuse to stay one.

I agree with Lauren. I have been victimized. I am NOT a victim.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, today's events won't affect my day to day life at all. It was tragic, but I acknowledge that these things are still infrequent (though growing with frequency, obviously). I also know that there's really no way to prepare, to foresee this happening. Sure, I don't walk down dark streets at night, but I acknowledge there's only so much I can do.

I also still believe people are good, as a whole.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The city I live in has a pretty low crime rate, and I live in a good neighborhood, so I feel as safe there as I would most other places.
  • amyc0128
    Options
    I feel safe in my neighborhood, I too have got for walks at 2-3 am and have come back safe and sound each time.I unarmed each time and carry no mace My kids are in theri 20's and go out for walks in the wee hours of the morning as well. It does sadden we as well that people want to isolate themselves.

Amy

Westminster, Colorado
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you live in FEAR in your life, then you'll miss out on a lot. That fear carries over to other aspects, such as fear of success which is why a lot of people end up sabotaging their programs when they get close to goal weight.
    I feel safe. I do live in a great area (Tri Valley area), but growing up I've never been accosted, held at gunpoint, robbed etc. regardless of what city I lived in. And I have live in some bad ones. But I was aware and cautious. That's not the same as fear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Where I live there's more fear of animals than people. But I work in the city. Worst fear there is getting run over by a car. That said i do my best to always be aware & avoid bad areas. Oh & carrying a gun helps. I rarely fear anything regardless of my environment. Aware but not afraid.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, Canada and yes I feel safe. I'm paranoid about sexual crime so I don't take needless risks but overall I feel safe.

What does scare me is the number of semi-literate parents who will start to home school their kids after today.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I live in california and in each place i lived i never felt safe walking alone late at night. but in my current area its more because of animals then humans. i just think there is no way of really feeling safe when people have guns and/or the knowledge to make weapons and stuff.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I feel very safe in my community. I'm in the suburbs of Seattle, Washington, and relatively little violence happens out in this area. What happened today was horrific and disgusting. I pray for all the families who were affected. But I won't change my lifestyle because of it. Death can come at any time in any way and to live life trapped under the weight of fear and worry is not living at all. Take reasonable precautions to protect yourself and loved ones but otherwise, enjoy each day and everything it has to offer.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I live on a secure military installation. I also carry a side arm (it's open carry in Alaska) I feel safe but I'm also not careless.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

What is you answer? Frogmarchers?

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Oz #18
    U.S. not listed

Lol. You picked a source where US murders by capita were not listed to back up your argument.

Hint - if you find the actual figures the us is higher than oz and uk. Check the UNODC stats.

Ps this is not an anti USA/guns post, just pointing you are essentially using a blank page as evidence.
  • Nikipowpez
    Nikipowpez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in SW Florida now but I grew up just outside of Detroit. My sister (who was 13) was abducted and raped, just before dark, walking home from a friends house 2 blocks away. My parents went looking for her when she wasn't home on time and found her, an absolute mess, crying and screaming in an alley down the street. I was 8 years old and now at 33, I remember that night like it was yesterday. I hate going outside alone even when its dusk. Dark, forget about it. I made it a point growing up to take karate and self defense classes. I don't put myself in vulerable situations. I carry and can use several personal protection items (an asp, a koga, etc.) Most of my in-laws are either ex-military, or police. I am in the process of getting my conceal carry permit. Even with everything I've done to try and prepare myself to be ready for any situation, I will never, ever feel completely safe no matter where I live.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

What is you answer? Frogmarchers?

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Oz #18
    U.S. not listed

Lol. You picked a source where US murders by capita were not listed to back up your argument.

Hint - if you find the actual figures the us is higher than oz and uk. Check the UNODC stats.

Ps this is not an anti USA/guns post, just pointing you are essentially using a blank page as evidence.

That figure is per capita.

Australia is #18
    US is not in the top 37 per capita

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Australia is #18
    US is not in the top 37 per capita[/b]

the wiki link to United Nations has USA at 4.2 and Australia at 1.0 murder rate.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Australia is #18

the wiki link to United Nations has USA at 4.2 and Australia at 1.0 murder rate.

Im not one bit surprised at anything the UN spews.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Australia is #18

Im not one bit surprised at anything the UN spews.

do you really think Australia has a higher murder rate than the US? what about Canada? does the US have the lowest murder rate in the world?

it just seems like the US would be higher but i hope u are right.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think our culture of hypervigilance, entitlement and fear is what fuels this kind of horrific event.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Here is my thoughts on the issue. May opinion may be wrong but...

Would you be better off home schooling your child?

My answer, from a girl who was homeschooled for three years of her life: No.

Not unless you are going to be the mother who doesn't make your child so closed minded to things. Who makes sure the said child has time to play with other kids and socialize them.

Home schooling is so different for everyone. I was home schooled for 3rd grade through 9th grade. It was the best seven years of my life. I had more than a handful of close friends, and a small group of extremely close friends. I have not made as many friends or bonds as strong in the seven years since. My parents, who used to make their money selling vintage eyeglasses around the country, took us to museums, natural parks, and landmarks throughout the 48 contiguous states and Canada. I've been inside the St. Louis arch, visited Elvis Presley's birthplace and Graceland, watched two NASA shuttle launches, volunteered for projects to help my community (fed the homeless, fundraised for charities, helped clear invasive plant species from a local forest preserve, etc.) and belonged to a girl scout group, a science class, and a Shakespeare class that performed plays, all made up entirely of open-minded, well-educated, and very well socialized home schooled children. One of my very good friends is graduating from Harvard in spring 2013. Yeah, Harvard. And she's REALLY popular and involved in several clubs and orgs.

There are people capable of giving their children plenty of opportunity to socialize and the education they need to succeed in life without making them "closed minded." Sorry you had a bad experience.