Paleo eating?

Options
I'm thinking about giving this a try. Is it good for weight loss? I hate cooking so will this be tough for me? Thanks for any tips, meal ideas, experiences etc

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit is good for weight loss
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    prepare for a thrashing.. by some opinionated folks.. but there is a group.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • diamondfit1
    diamondfit1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ive been paleo for a year! I dont feel deprived and Ive always had the energy to work out. I love it! Whole foods = <3
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • It's a lot of cooking. Or at least it is for us. I have a family of 4 (and a half haha... the one year old doesn't eat much food yet!) and I recently switched us to Paleo. I have to do all the cooking and lunch packing and it's a LOT of work. However, I feel a lot better on it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I meal plan and each night I include a section on what I have to prep for the next day, which makes it easier.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cooking - you should really do some research into this more because you will need to prepare everything. Eating at a caloric deficit works just fine, although it would be beneficial to take up cooking so you can get more whole foods into your diet.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's a serious commitment and not a great idea if you're not planning to live by it long-term.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Paleo works because it will cause a calorie deficit. If you enjoy eating the way Paleo demands, then do it. If you don't, then don't. But since weight loss is about changing your entire lifestyle if you don't think you'll stick with Paleo for the rest of your life, don't bother.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind giving up dairy, grains, beans and other legumes, then it could be a good option for you. If you enjoy these things and think you'll have a hard time giving them up, then it may not. Just read the plan and ask yourself if you believe you'll be able to follow it long term.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It can help with with weight loss because it tends to focus on higher protein, lower carb, and whole food consumption, so it's likely that it would be more filling that what you're doing now. However, your caloric balance will determine weight loss, rather than food avoidance.

No matter what diet you chose, it's a good idea to learn to cook some basic foods. It's really not that hard.
  • Codefox
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

Then you only think you're eating a deficit. No two people are the same and its hardly an exact science. Your body may burn less than you think and your food may be higher calories than you realize. Either way, you can't break physics. If you consume less fuel than your body needs to operate, it will burn fat to generate the energy.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Exactly how did you calculate your deficit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

^^^This. Personally I couldn't do the Paleo thing...I like whole grains and legumes, and they're good for you; I tend to focus more on my macro nutrients than depriving myself of things. If you're eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you ate a Paleo diet and ate to maintenace or surplus, you'd not lose weight...it's all about the deficit.

That said, I know a few people who've done this and they love it...just wouldn't work for me.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

The good news is you can save a ton of money on food bills
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I think any eating plan that relies on completely cutting out foods I enjoy is one that I would never be able to sustain. I just eat at a calorie deficit, I try to choose mostly foods that are good for me and that will keep me full. Most importantly (to me) I save room here and there for a treat. Without treats I'd feel bitter and would resent the process.

I love a lot of what paleo would tell me to avoid. People talk about how great they feel eating paleo, but I actually feel pretty great now. No need to fix what isn't broken.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not a diet. Please do some research (you might decide that eliminating grains is not for you) and then ask in the Paleo forum. Personally, I have had HUGE health benefits by changing my diet. But lots of people will come on here and trash talk it even though they have never tried it. For me it's about health and the weight loss is a nice side effect but not the primary purpose.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.
  • Codefox
    Options

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

So you're losing weight now, on Paleo, while also eating a calorie surplus?