Paleo eating?

Options

Replies

• Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    one of my co-workers is on a Paleo eating regimen. He's also watching the caloric intake, but he's lost about 30 lbs now. He says he's never felt better. They did not really replace any foods with Paleo breads or anything, they just cut them out and ate more veggies, lean meats, fruit, etc. Really healthy stuff.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    People say this is a fad, and you can't eat this way for life, but I do... Paleo is the only time in my life where I lost weight without having to put 1 hour min in at the gym 6x a week.. ( i couldn't due to an injury).

Other than the weight loss and becoming much leaner, some of the benefits I have personally experienced are as follows
    - clear skin (no more acne meds)
    - no more headaches
    - PMS completely gone, cycle is much shorter and not as heavy
    - no bloating
    - no tummy aches
    - energy through the roof
    - great sleep
    - no more cravings for sugar, carbs etc ( i used to be huge carb addict)
    - I no longer have to eat every 2 hours because I don't find myself hungry until much later
    - I finally feel like food doesn't control me, and that is the biggest plus for me

I don't find it that hard to follow, but I tell people if they ask, to try it for 30 days... if you don't love it, then go back to your old way of eating, but for me.. this is for life.

Before I started paleo I would have been one of those people that would knock it and says its bs, but I decided to give it a good try and couldn't be happy or more shocked by the results.. I feel like a totally different person, and I can't express enough how this has changed my life :)

I realize lots of people are going to knock it , but again, give it a month , go full out 100% and be open to it... if you aren't happy then you've only lost 30 days..
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX6ZXQgQFvu6pv4R2BGHrOB5b9MAz3_4uEmi1aHgsiYwkr6SG4

no, she just has her scenario disk....we're ALL doing it WRONG....
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion on Paleo: one of the best parts about it is that it cuts out all the processed crap and it's a lot harder to over eat/get over full on meat and fresh vegetables. It's still like any other diet, though. If you can't stick with it long term, don't even bother. You can't count on a diet to change a lifetime of bad eating habits and the consequences that come with it. You have to change the lifestyle that got you there. I have not yet tried it, but I've looked in to it, simply because I know that my body responds a lot better to high protein/low carb. I'm not sold on the no dairy and grains, though.

Do your own research from credible sources, don't just take opinions from people on here. There is a lot of good information on here, but there's also a lot of crazies.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

Please enlighten us. Are you currently eating at a surplus and losing weight? Or do you just wave your magic wand and the lbs melt away?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

Please enlighten us. Are you currently eating at a surplus and losing weight? Or do you just wave your magic wand and the lbs melt away?

It isn't a magic wand. In case you haven't heard, with membership in the official Paleo Club, you receive an actual magic Paleo club.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

It isn't a magic wand. In case you haven't heard, with membership in the official Paleo Club, you receive an actual magic Paleo club.

and then use the club to beat the fat off with?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Yes...

...however, I would have phrased that sentence differently.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Yes...

...however, I would have phrased that sentence differently.

Paleo eating is all about getting back to the way of our ancestors, being as close to our food as possible, which to some may include choking their own chicken.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX6ZXQgQFvu6pv4R2BGHrOB5b9MAz3_4uEmi1aHgsiYwkr6SG4

no, she just has her scenario disk....we're ALL doing it WRONG....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/

WIZARDRY!!!!

The first law of thermodynamics dictates that body mass remains constant when caloric intake equals caloric expenditure. It should be noted, however, that different diets lead to different biochemical pathways that are not equivalent when correctly compared through the laws of thermodynamics

Why Low-Carbohydrate Diets Promote Weight Loss

The hormonal changes associated with a low-carbohydrate diet include a reduction in the circulating levels of insulin along with increased levels of glucagons, leading to activation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase, fructose 1,6-biphosphatase, and glucose 6-phosphatase and inhibition of pyruvate kinase, 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase, and hexokinase, favoring gluconeogenesis over glycolysis. Gluconeogenesis is an energy-consuming process as 6 mol of ATP are consumed for the synthesis of 1 mol of glucose from pyruvate or lactate [10]. The transformation of gluconeogenic amino acids into glucose requires even more energy because ATP is needed to dispose of the nitrogen as urea [10]. Further, a low-carbohydrate diet increases turnover of body proteins; and the energy-dependent processes of maintaining the turnover of proteins (Table ​(Table1),1), including synthesis, folding, targeting, regulatory processes, and protein breakdown have an overall cost to body energy homeostasis that is significantly higher than previously appreciated [11].

But you know, wizards and stupid doctors with their lab equipment...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    re: chickens

I, uh, don't believe I've read anything about this from Sisson, Wolf, etc. in the Paleo literature.

See? There really isn't one and only one definition of Paleo.

ETA: clarification of subject
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    One more that solidifies the point: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18370664

Abstract

Published reports show that low carbohydrate weight loss diets provide a metabolic advantage, a greater weight loss per calorie consumed compared to isocaloric high carbohydrate diets. These reports have not been refuted but rather largely ignored, presumably because of the apparent violation of the laws of thermodynamics ("a calorie is a calorie"). In this review, we show that there is no such violation of thermodynamic laws. Energy utilization of different diets depends on the chemical pathway taken and a metabolic analysis of the efficiency of different pathways reveals large differences. Likewise, thermogenesis produced by diets of different macronutrient composition varies widely. We present a plausible mechanism that depends on the inefficiency of metabolic cycles and, in particular, protein turnover. A low carbohydrate diet makes demands on protein turnover for gluconeogenesis. From a theoretical point of view,energy balance between two diets is to be expected only if the subjects have the same final physiologic state, and only if all of the changes contributing to the energy, heat, work and chemical effects are known. Most diet experiments do not conform to this ideal. There is no theoretical contradiction in metabolic advantage and no theoretical barrier to accepting reports describing this effect.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Abstract

Published reports show that low carbohydrate weight loss diets provide a metabolic advantage, a greater weight loss per calorie consumed compared to isocaloric high carbohydrate diets. These reports have not been refuted but rather largely ignored, presumably because of the apparent violation of the laws of thermodynamics ("a calorie is a calorie"). In this review, we show that there is no such violation of thermodynamic laws. Energy utilization of different diets depends on the chemical pathway taken and a metabolic analysis of the efficiency of different pathways reveals large differences. Likewise, thermogenesis produced by diets of different macronutrient composition varies widely. We present a plausible mechanism that depends on the inefficiency of metabolic cycles and, in particular, protein turnover. A low carbohydrate diet makes demands on protein turnover for gluconeogenesis. From a theoretical point of view,energy balance between two diets is to be expected only if the subjects have the same final physiologic state, and only if all of the changes contributing to the energy, heat, work and chemical effects are known. Most diet experiments do not conform to this ideal. There is no theoretical contradiction in metabolic advantage and no theoretical barrier to accepting reports describing this effect.

Lol Feinman and Fine

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-law-of-thermo-still-doesnt.html
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat very little processed food or sugar, not a lot of grains, but I couldn't give up beans, peanut butter and yogurt.
  • Bakkasan
    Options

Like I said before, it doe not matter what study anyone posts, you will find a way to pretend it isn't valid. You are the one with blinders on, sorry. It works, for many of us. Stop getting your panties in a bunch over someone else's life choice.
    Yesterday I posted one on elite level gymnasts having ZERO effect on their performance in controlled conditions over 30 days.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22835211
    RESULTS:

No significant differences were detected between VLCKD and WD in all strength tests. Significant differences were found in body weight and body composition: after VLCKD there was a decrease in body weight (from 69.6 ± 7.3 Kg to 68.0 ± 7.5 Kg) and fat mass (from 5.3 ± 1.3 Kg to 3.4 ± 0.8 Kg p < 0.001) with a non-significant increase in muscle mass.

LOL at bob and franstein or whoever all you want. Your angry unjustified attacks are your problem, but stop misinforming people who are asking for help.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Like I said before, it doe not matter what study anyone posts, you will find a way to pretend it isn't valid. You are the one with blinders on, sorry. It works, for many of us. Stop getting your panties in a bunch over someone else's life choice.
    Yesterday I posted one on elite level gymnasts having ZERO effect on their performance in controlled conditions over 30 days.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22835211
    RESULTS:

No significant differences were detected between VLCKD and WD in all strength tests. Significant differences were found in body weight and body composition: after VLCKD there was a decrease in body weight (from 69.6 ± 7.3 Kg to 68.0 ± 7.5 Kg) and fat mass (from 5.3 ± 1.3 Kg to 3.4 ± 0.8 Kg p < 0.001) with a non-significant increase in muscle mass.

LOL at bob and franstein or whoever all you want. Your angry unjustified attacks are your problem, but stop misinforming people who are asking for help.

Where did I spread misinformation? I'm not the one posting Feinman and Fine studies. Also when did I ever saw low carb diets weren't effective?

The gymnast study, who'd a thunk that bodyweight exercises wouldn't really be effected when they lost weight, therefore making the exercises less strenuous. The fat adaption theory is a low carb fantasy still
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I thought paleo eating was about eating bugs and fruit :( I was hoping for some meal worm recipes.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Blinders.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21992535
    Another one. Feel free to ignore.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Where did I spread misinformation? ...The fat adaption theory is a low carb fantasy still
    You did it for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Abstract

Published reports show that low carbohydrate weight loss diets provide a metabolic advantage, a greater weight loss per calorie consumed compared to isocaloric high carbohydrate diets. ....
    How about some objective research review by the author of The Ketogenic Diet, The Stubborn Fat Solution and several other books in which he advocates low-carb/ketogenic diets in at least part of the regimen?:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html

Here's a snippet from his commentary at the conclusion of the research review:
    I guess my point is that there is too much variance between individuals and their needs to claim that any single diet is inherently superior for all people and all situations. As this study suggests, given identical calories and protein intake, there doesn’t seem to be any inherent metabolic advantage in terms of total fat loss to a full blown ketogenic diet, at least not when compared to a moderate carbohydrate diet with an identical amount of protein.

I'm not anti-low carb. I feel it has merit in some situations and creates better satiety and adherence in some people; in fact, I generally adhere to a "lower" (although not ketogenic) carb diet myself. It has been proven that protein has a higher TEF than carbs or fat. But I don't believe any "metabolic advantage" has been scientifically proven.