Paleo eating?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am just popping in to see if the poster who said that they maintain at a calorie deficit actually come back and explains such wizardry.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Coconuts, bunnies, and wizards.
  • Adam_72
    Options
    I started eating this way just 3 months ago.

I initially had massive withdrawal symptoms in the 1st 2 weeks but after that I cant believe how better I have felt.

I have struggled with eating the wrong foods all my life but eating this way I have been able to maintain eating healthy foods.

The best part is Im down 27kg
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating paleo as part of an experiment. Things I have noticed:
    As someone with a family, career, and side business, there is absolutely no way I have time for all the cooking/food prep involved (I have two weeks off now, so have time to actually cook every meal, which is awesome).
    The food I can make is awesome. I miss carbs, but am getting used to the Keto.
    It is REALLY hard to eat at a surplus. I could easily eat 1500 cals per day and be sated. I think this is why many people who suck at self control, calorie tracking, and portion control start losing weight on this diet. I can down 3000 calories in a carb heavy meal, and have not been able to hit 3000 calories in a DAY on this diet, even doing things like adding ghee to my coffee etc.

I think most "paleo" people are pretty ignorant about both health/nutrition and about their own diet, but have met some who are extremely knowledgable.. I think the ignorant fanboys give the movement a bad rep.

Some things that I think are vital in recreating an ancestral lifestyle that are ignored by the paleo Taliban crown:
    Intermittent fasting
    Seasonally appropriate foods (i.e. eat foods that are locally available in your current season)
    Climate exposure (sun/heat in summer, cold in winter... The affect metabolism significantly)
    Seasonally appropriate Macronutrient intake (summer diet should include more carbs due to higher availability. Winter should be very low carb, rich in animal products, similar to what most people think of when they hear paleo).

I do not think paleo is necessary for exceptional health, just reasonable food intake, exercise, and low meal frequency/regular fasting. I think low-carb diets are overrated, and overused under the mistaken belief that low carb = low insulin. This is completely untrue, and insulin levels are easily controlled via regular fasting and low meal frequency. Also, even if protein produced 0 insulin, you would still get fat at a caloric surplus via the ASP pathway of lipogenesis.

I am trying paleo in the hopes that it will help with some nagging autoimmune issues, which, despite getting my HS CRP down under 1 with IF still seem to be an issue. Result so far have not been positive, but I intend to give it some time.

Edit: pardon typos. Typed on phone, too lazy to fix.

Well I agree with some of that and yes, I give thought to IF, practice it too, and seasonal foods (but I live in the Arctic, so that would mean pretty much ZERO plant foods, and I'm not willing to do that). I do a lot of research on health and back it up with how my body responds and by considering the experiences of others. I am NOT ignorant of how I eat.

"Paleo Taliban crowd"? Really? Funny how it's usually OUR lifestyle that gets attacked with a vengence. Do you see the title of the post? The OP ASKED for info from people WHO HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED this way of eating. It's like the notion of eating healthy food that excludes grain and legumes brings out religious fervor in others who have NOT ever tried this lifestyle. Who's acting like terrorists? (Which seems like quite the uncalled-for exaggeration.)

Newsflash: most of us are not trying to "recreate our ancestral lifestyle". We are choosing to eat foods that promote good health. Duh. Don't be freaked out about the fancy name. It's pretty simple.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Yet another thread sacrificed by fire to Akimajuktuq, Lovecraftian God whose physical properties cannot be defined as she is not of this earth

Is that a compliment? LOL Granted, I am feeling pretty super-human these days; what with not being sick all the time from eating such healthy grains and legumes.

Nothing freaks me out more then when someone asks about a lifestyle and then those of us who know a bit about it come under fire by people who have never tried it.

And I'm bored. :wink:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not a diet. Please do some research (you might decide that eliminating grains is not for you) and then ask in the Paleo forum. Personally, I have had HUGE health benefits by changing my diet. But lots of people will come on here and trash talk it even though they have never tried it. For me it's about health and the weight loss is a nice side effect but not the primary purpose.

If it's not a diet then what is it?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

So you're losing weight now, on Paleo, while also eating a calorie surplus?

Nope I eat in a calorie deficit because i no longer have UNCONTROLLABLE HUNGER, bingeing, chronic pain, fatigue, etc etc etc. Is it even possible to over eat on a ketogenic form of paleo/primal? Because as long as I keep my carbs low, I don't overeat, without even trying not to. Go figure. So, no, I can't stay in a calorie deficit when I am eating lots of unhealthy food. Imagine that.
    So uh, care to explain why you think you are a special snowflake? The statement was that a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. You've now admitted that you eat a calorie deficit to lose weight. How exactly does the original statement not apply to you, seeing as it made no mention of any particular eating style, just that a calorie deficit is required, regardless of personal eating prefeerences?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It is true that there exist both Paleo elitists, and anti-Paleo elitists. We like the happy medium.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Research and give it a try! It is possible! Lots of opinions but the only one that matters is yours!
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Research and give it a try! It is possible! Lots of opinions but the only one that matters is yours!

And there is the best advice.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    And apparently some people like Paleo.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    How does this effect you? Call it a diet, a lifestyle, a way of eating. Grab a thesaurus and have at it, what does it change?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit is good for weight loss

:drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If you think so, I suggest you do more research on the so called fat adaptation theory

And I encourage you to look into the energy expenditure difference in the same person who is in a carbohydrate rich diet vs someone who is three weeks into ketogenisis. I only know of one place and that's some guy at the eating academy. I have no clue if he is an LOL or legit but seems to have taken the time and got his own machine to measure vo2max in both states.

I would LOVE for a great semi conclusive study to be made that isn't biased, but for now, it really does seem to work for my snowflake. I have nothing else to ever add to it.

Carbohydrate rich? Is that like half your calories? More than half?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    How does this effect you? Call it a diet, a lifestyle, a way of eating. Grab a thesaurus and have at it, what does it change?

How does my asking the question effect you? She said it wasn't a diet. She did not say what it was.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

Please enlighten us. Are you currently eating at a surplus and losing weight? Or do you just wave your magic wand and the lbs melt away?

Yup, that's exactly what I do. When one is no longer sick, it's amazing what can be achieved. Supernatural powers; at least against illness, obesity, and eating disorders. (did I say I am currently eating a surplus? Pretty sure that I claimed no such thing... love the lack of logic used to try to discredit others... LOL)

I am pretty sure the question mark at the end of "Are you currently eating at a surplus and losing weight?" means it was a question. My original post was also directed toward the person who actually created the thread so I'm not sure why you decided to answer about yourself seeing as I don't care about YOUR answer. I've seen you all over every paleo thread, I know your opinion on it. LOL. So I'm not sure where you're coming up with the "lack of logic" I used.

I was unaware that I am sick. I didn't know I has illness, obesity, and eating disorders. Learn something new every day. :flowerforyou:

I answered because I want to and because you are claiming someone's experience is false. I have similar experience, so I commented.

Yes, I do look at every Paleo thread THAT ASKS ABOUT PALEO/PRIMAL because I actually eat paleo/primal. Go figure.

Why do you respond to them?
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    How does my asking the question effect you?

Touche sir!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So you're losing weight now, on Paleo, while also eating a calorie surplus?

Nope I eat in a calorie deficit because i no longer have UNCONTROLLABLE HUNGER, bingeing, chronic pain, fatigue, etc etc etc. Is it even possible to over eat on a ketogenic form of paleo/primal? Because as long as I keep my carbs low, I don't overeat, without even trying not to. Go figure. So, no, I can't stay in a calorie deficit when I am eating lots of unhealthy food. Imagine that.

So, when you were calorie counting and eating low-fat you were binging and eating a surplus and not losing, now you are not bingeing and are eating a deficit and are losing. That doesn't really = special.

You had cravings that you felt unable to control. Now you've found a way of eating that eliviates the need to control the cravings, which makes this diet a good fit for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, no, I can't stay in a calorie deficit when I am eating lots of unhealthy food. Imagine that.

Weird, cause a ton of people on this site manage to. Imagine that.

What does what others do have to do with what she can do?
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The paleo bashing is so annoying.. she didn't ask for articles or a debate, just for tips, ideas, and weight loss experiences. All these people bashing it probably have never tried it 100% for even 30 days... Let the people who are loving paleo and successful give her some answers .. Really she has nothing to lose for giving it a try.

This is why very few people who live the paleo LIFESTYLE (not diet) do not respond... as we are always bashed.. I lost 50 lbs tracking calories, and working out almost an hour and a half a day.. I could not even have one little cheat or I would gain.... losing the baby weight I decided I needed a change in my eating so switched to paleo, and it has changed my life 100% for the better ( i posted earlier all the non weight loss reasons)... I don't have to obsess over calories, and even if I cant work out (which I couldn't) , the weight still came off. Yes you can lose weight both ways as I did, but this was so much easier and the other benefits made this a better choice for me. I can eat this way forever (80/20 rule), I don't find it hard, or that I have to plan anymore than I did counting calories.

To the original poster- give it a try