Cousinly Love

Options

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    This is pretty strange, IMO.
    It's one thing to have a close relationship, but to be having "sleepovers" when she lives in the same city and they are how old? I find that odd.

He is 16, almost 17. Me and his cousin are both 18.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Is this in Alabama? Nothing unusual at all then.

Haha if it was then I wouldnt be so worried! But no, Massachusetts
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin who used to be like that. He has calmed down but yeah, being TOO close cousins is possible.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to have a close relationship, but to be having "sleepovers" when she lives in the same city and they are how old? I find that odd.

ohhhhh okay lol I was thinking these were adults lol
    Makes a little more sense now, but still weird.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :embarassed:

• MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So I'm looking for some opinions, sorry if this is kind of long.

My boyfriend and his female cousin are very close. They are close in age, she is only two years older than he is. But I'm starting to feel like they are a little too close, if that's possible? They talk on the phone pretty often, they have sleepovers (she sleeps on the floor), she wears his sweatshirts and stuff, she's always stopping by his house unannounced, even when me and him are spending time together, and she usually stays for a couple of hours. He gives her multiple hugs whenever he sees her, and I feel like he ignores me whenever she is there. When I try to talk to him about it, he gets mad and short-tempered. I guess I'll get to the point. It really bugs me. Is it possible that they are TOO close? (I dont have any close cousins so I'm not sure)

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Dump him
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

The real question is why an 18 year old is dating someone under age...
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    How long have you been with your boyfriend? Has the behavior increased over time? To me it just sounds like a brother sister relationship. When you feel like he is ignoring you, is it during date or is everyone just at the house hanging out. Without and serious missteps, it sounds like you might be over reacting.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little too close to me. I have cousins that I am close with....but there is a line when it is family. I say stick to your guns with this, and if he isn't willing to respect how you feel well then....that says a lot. Your instincts are telling you something for a reason.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    How long have you been with your boyfriend? Has the behavior increased over time? To me it just sounds like a brother sister relationship. When you feel like he is ignoring you, is it during date or is everyone just at the house hanging out. Without and serious missteps, it sounds like you might be over reacting.
    We have only been together for about 5 months and when he ignores me, it is when we are hanging out at his house. Although she has been on one of our dates with us. She invited herself to the movies with us once.
  • Brianna72994
    Options

The real question is why an 18 year old is dating someone under age...
    He is only a year and a half younger, not too big of an age difference.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Is this in Alabama? Nothing unusual at all then.

ha! I was gonna ask if it was West Virginia! Lol
  • sladamssr
    sladamssr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Let it go. I have cousins and it's like have a twin sibling. Because you can be the same age with your cousin or just a little off by a few years and it's like having a sister brother b/c you get into trouble together and all that stuff. I call my cousins my little bro and sis, because we treat each other like that.

Don't let it bother you too much, they're family. At least you know if things get serious with you two, your children will be close to their relatives. :)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    We have only been together for about 5 months and when he ignores me, it is when we are hanging out at his house. Although she has been on one of our dates with us. She invited herself to the movies with us once.

Yeah, I think you are over reacting. Honestly, you guys are young and he may not be mature enough to realize his behavior is up setting you. I am not saying your feelings aren't valid, and I certainly don't want to discount any insecurities- but in this case I think it may be more about you being insecure than any wrong doing. That being said, if he chooses to ignore the fact it upsets you and wont at least discuss why it is the way it is, dump him.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sound like Y'all from Indiana :bigsmile:
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Haha, I was expecting alot of southern jokes. But I'm not from the south, we live in Massachusetts
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Let it go. I have cousins and it's like have a twin sibling. Because you can be the same age with your cousin or just a little off by a few years and it's like having a sister brother b/c you get into trouble together and all that stuff. I call my cousins my little bro and sis, because we treat each other like that.

Don't let it bother you too much, they're family. At least you know if things get serious with you two, your children will be close to their relatives. :)
    That is a good way to look at it
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think that if your boyfriend is like most people, the thought of kissing or being sexual with a cousin, 2nd cousin or even step-cousin sounds disgusting. They may just have a really close relationship. I'm sure you can tell somehow if it's something more. Just observe them?

My bet is that they're just close like brother and sister.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have ALOT of cousins im close with..one of my cousins had a girlfriend,she basically told me once that she didnt want us hanging out because they were having there time alone and i politely told her," that i was in this family before her,and ill be here after her,so suck it up cupcake"... but, i dont get to see alot of my cousins im close with because i live three hours away and when im home for the holidays,im SO BUSY!! the perks of being the favorite in a big family.lol.

i'm one of the older cousins and well i think of them as my brothers and sisters, they come to me for advice and all kinds of things.. im not about to sleep on the floor when theres enough room in one of my cousins beds..just throwin that out there..
    so you shouldnt be worried about said sleep overs and i never call any of my family if im in town and im just gunna pop in for a visit and i dont have to its the beauty of being family, i can come over whenever i wantt!!!

so, stop stressin.

but, i do have the most adorable little cousins ever.just sayin!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options

OMG. I can not believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my time reading these posts only to come to this one.

Just dump him. It isn't like the relationship is going to last long term.