What do you do when you see terrible form at the gym?

Options
jayche
jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
Today I saw someone going deep on some good mornings with a really rounded back (I'm not exaggerating when I say his back resembled a flamingo's neck) on the squat rack but ultimately just said nothing and let him do his thing.

What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Look away from the mirror.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Why don't you respectfully ask if they would like help with form! What's the worst they could do? Then you will be a Super Hero for going out of your way to keep someone from getting injured!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My gym is very communal, so you give and get lots of pointers, and most people like / expect it. Usually if people are doing something wrong, they are feeling it and frustrated and they are happy to have someone show them the right way to do it. Conversely, a lot of people actively seek out advice, and I have gotten great tips this way. Just go over and smile and say, "oh, hey, you want to see something... you're really going to like doing it this way better..." If it's someone who isn't friendly, or doesn't like input, then just ignore it and focus on your own thing.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I scoff and do nothing...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I treat it with righteous indignation
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Look away from the mirror.

LMAO
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I am trying to picture this...wish i could see it
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My gym is very communal, so you give and get lots of pointers, and most people like / expect it. Usually if people are doing something wrong, they are feeling it and frustrated and they are happy to have someone show them the right way to do it. Conversely, a lot of people actively seek out advice, and I have gotten great tips this way. Just go over and smile and say, "oh, hey, you want to see something... you're really going to like doing it this way better..." If it's someone who isn't friendly, or doesn't like input, then just ignore it and focus on your own thing.
    Well usually if someone wants advice they come up and ask me, from my experience I've found that people who don't ask for advice tend not to receive it well and sometimes even lash out. Maybe my gym is just full of ****s lol
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, personally I don't want anyone bothering me at the gym, if I'm doing something wrong I'll survives, but if the person looks approachable, it doesn't hurt to mention something, just don't do it in a I know more I'm better than you sort of way and hopefully the person doesn't mind and appreciates the advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Today I saw someone going deep on some good mornings with a really rounded back (I'm not exaggerating when I say his back resembled a flamingo's neck) on the squat rack but ultimately just said nothing and let him do his thing.

What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?

Being a total noob in RE to lifting heavy, I'd hope someone would stop me and then show me how to do it properly. I'd then thank them because I like to do things right.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Nothing. It is none of your business. How would you feel if you were in a store and your kid was throwing a temper tantrum and someone came up to you and "respectfully" asked if you wanted parenting advice?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nothing. It is none of your business. How would you feel if you were in a store and your kid was throwing a temper tantrum and someone came up to you and "respectfully" asked if you wanted parenting advice?

Totally different I think...good parenting is subjective...proper form/technique is definitive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't always ask for advice at the gym (even though I want to) because I don't know who is experienced or not and I can't expect them to be my trainer, they are busy. But, if anyone ever saw me with bad form I would absolutely want them to say something to me, rather than for me to end up injured. Really, my body is that important to me.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thank the good Lord I can finally afford a gym membership. Sigh.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Horrible comparison.

Two completely different things.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Close my eyes and cringe... *yikes*
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me, I happened to notice how you were doing your squats. You're doing pretty good but you're rounding your back a bit too much. This could lead to injury. Maybe try like this *demonstrate proper form*, it should feel better and will get you a better burn with less chance of injury."

-> Just do it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    from my experience I've found that people who don't ask for advice tend not to receive it well and sometimes even lash out.

Basically this.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Golden rule: Only approach hot chicks. All others do not accept advice well. They tend to call it criticism.
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I leave people alone, and I would rather be left alone as well. If anyone wants help they can always ask. Luckily at the gym I use there is none of that. My experience with weights goes back decades, and I have specifc things that I do for specifc reasons. Some are to strengthen old injuries and some are to work around them. I know what I need. I really don't need somebody telling I'm doing something wrong when they have no idea what I'm doing or why.