What do you do when you see terrible form at the gym?

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There are some options here. One would be to find a trainer or gym manager (if there is one there) and mention it to them; let them be the bad guy... They don't want the liability of somebody being stupid and may not have noticed; In this case, if it is evident that they don't know what they are doing, it would be better to go ahead and say something... then your conscious is clear if they throw out a disk... Yes, they may scoff and may be indignant... In that case, just consider the source.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Today I saw someone going deep on some good mornings with a really rounded back (I'm not exaggerating when I say his back resembled a flamingo's neck) on the squat rack but ultimately just said nothing and let him do his thing.

What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?

Depends.

How much do you bench?
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    An older gentleman came in yesterday, I was riding. He got onto the bike next to me and I first noticed he had on dress slacks. Secondly I noticed the seat on the bike was not set to his height. He was too close to the pedals. He was struggling because he had had a stroke and his left side was weak.
    So, my first thought was to OFFER help. To physically help him.
    I didn't. Instead I advised him to move the seat a few steps and he'd be able to swing his leg onto the pedal.

If you see someone who is doing something that CLEARLY looks like it could HARM them tell them. If you don't want to you can always ask an employee or trainer to assist. It is part of their job to keep the gym members safe. If this person was to get hurt they may not stay going to the gym or they may cancel their membership.

This goes for people who don't know how to use equipment. ASK. It's much better to ask for help vs getting injured and losing your motivation because you were hurt.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I would correct them in a NICE way. I've corrected people's form at the gym before and I've never been scowled or grunted at. I'd rather correct someone's form than have them kill their knees or back! Many people don't know what they are doing in the gym, but the fact that they are trying and want to be healthy means they are trying and there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes they just need some help and a bit of encouragement.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is if you don't feel comfortable, start talking to a friend about proper form (get with them first)... Make sure you are within ear shot. I know that I for one often listen to advice that others who are obviously in better shape than I am give to others... If they are receptive, they may catch on that they are missing the mark. Just a possible.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I don't always ask for advice at the gym (even though I want to) because I don't know who is experienced or not and I can't expect them to be my trainer, they are busy. But, if anyone ever saw me with bad form I would absolutely want them to say something to me, rather than for me to end up injured. Really, my body is that important to me.
    Agreed!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    An older gentleman came in yesterday, I was riding. He got onto the bike next to me and I first noticed he had on dress slacks. Secondly I noticed the seat on the bike was not set to his height. He was too close to the pedals. He was struggling because he had had a stroke and his left side was weak.
    So, my first thought was to OFFER help. To physically help him.
    I didn't. Instead I advised him to move the seat a few steps and he'd be able to swing his leg onto the pedal.

If you see someone who is doing something that CLEARLY looks like it could HARM them tell them. If you don't want to you can always ask an employee or trainer to assist. It is part of their job to keep the gym members safe. If this person was to get hurt they may not stay going to the gym or they may cancel their membership.

This goes for people who don't know how to use equipment. ASK. It's much better to ask for help vs getting injured and losing your motivation because you were hurt.

I always want to do this in Spin, but I feel like I'd look like a show off if I tell them their seat isn't correctly set up. Or I'd get some smartass comment back like "That's how I like it." But I see some seriously wrong set bikes. People are either moving completely left to right because their seat is like 3 levels too high or they are riding with their knees to their chest because it is 3 levels too low......this one chick always has her seat moved so far back she can barely hold the handles. I never say anything because, like me, if I didn't know or it was uncomfortable, I would ask for help. I know not everyone is as open as me with asking questions, but I still don't say anything for fear of looking like a *kitten*.

Also, in Zumba I see women who just aren't getting the steps, and I really love to teach people, but I STILL refrain from showing people the moves because I feel like they would think, "Oh...of course she would come back here to show me how to do it....Miss Always Gotta Be In The Front...."
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I start lifting, I think I'm going to get a t-shirt made. On the back in big letters.. "Tell me if my form sucks".
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    as a certified personal trainer it is part of my training and promise to my certification body that I be professional and curteous to all. Those not in the fitness industry do not have to step in at all, but those who are really should:

After laughing my *kitten* off in the corner of the gym,
    and only if the guy lifting was in grave of a serious and mortal weightlifting sin (cause of death or immenent injury kind of senario)
    would I politely step in, first asking him what his goal for that exercise is.....

and it helps being a super sexy and fabulously inshape woman when you do this to a man.
    Dumbbell-Row-Bad-Form-Text.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm not reading the comments, just going to answer the OP:

I think it's wrong to comment on someone's form. (and i will say it goes double if you are a guy and the lifter is female because it gets annoying real quick having men constantly engage you with their superior advice). I had one friend who kept giving me unsolicited advice and it was all pointless because everything he told me, i already knew. I had an injury and was adjusting my routine until the injury got better.

If it's your friend, or they ask, then go for it. By all means.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be really careful and make sure the bad form is being done due to a lack of knowledge and would definitely lead to injury before saying anything. I admit sometimes I have some bad form on some exercises, but not because I don't know how to do it right. Sometimes I'm pushing myself at a higher weight, and sometimes I go to failure. I think under those circumstances as long as you know what you're doing and won't injure yourself its ok.

However if the person is clearly a newbie and is doing something that will lead to obvious injury I would probably say something in the most polite way I know how.

Not everyone believes bad form is necessarily a bad thing under the right conditions. You can see videos of legendary bodybuilder/trainer Charles Glass on youtube where he supervises and trains some people while they do bad form because he's just trying to get them to sweat. I cringed when I saw the bad form he had some of his trainees do but you can't say the guy doesn't know how to build muscle.

Addendum: Not trying to be argumentative on this issue. I believe in good form and always practice it (except when I don't). :wink:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Depends.

How much do you bench?
    Was this a serious question? lol

Awesome feedback so far, I was looking for a picture earlier to illustrate what I saw in the gym today but couldn't find any
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    An older gentleman kindly gave me a tip on my form once, and I actually appreciated it. Honestly, I would be hesitant to give anybody else tips, even if I knew what I was doing, but if they were doing something that is likely to cause an injury, I'd like to think I'd speak up.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I noticed a guy doing his squats and his lower back was arching when he got down deep. I told him and he said "Yeah-it's a butt wink." I was like "What is that?" He explained and I said, "Cool. Thanks for teaching me something." I felt a bit like an *kitten* for pointing out something he knew about already, but, then again, I learned something, so I'm glad I pointed it out to him. Now, if some dude had done it and not some chic, who knows how he would have responded.
    I personally would LOVE for someone to tell me if my form was bad. What I do is look around and watch people's form. I can tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't. I ask those with great form for help.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    form can damage your body/posture/ and muscles....thats way different than a kid throwing themselves on the floor in some store thats not hurting anyone really (well maybe their ears). i would appreciate if i was doing something wrong for someone to come up and POLITELY tell me the right way
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I wish that I thought there was a better chance that they would be accepting of friendly advice and then I move on.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I presume the person I see doing what I think is poor form knows something I don't.
    "Excuse me, sir, I noticed when doing your squats you were arching your back. Does that work a different muscle set than keeping your back straight?"
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I silently judge them and continue with my workout.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Chuckle a lil bit, shake my head, continue with the next set
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    CRINGE >.<