girls dont like skinny guys

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    When making your fitness goals, focus on what you like. People are always saying "guys don't like skinny girls, guys like meat, etc." whatever...who cares about that, everyone has different taste and the only person you should worry about pleasing (especially if you're single) is yourself.

Personally, I don't like the really muscular look. But there are plenty of people out there who do. My only point is that it really shouldn't matter, do whatever makes you happier.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Not true. I can lift weight more than my man. He's sortof...Sheldon looking(but not sheldon the personality..lol) from the Big Bang Theory. What can I say, I love me some nerds.

(he's also a phd...although not in physics. He just graduated with his doctorate in molecular genetics)

I am helping him start to weight train though since he is getting interested. AM So happy.

Despite him being all skinny..he eats like a freaking insatiable football player. Pisses me off. I definately have a hardgainer on my hands. HE is actually pretty strong for how skinny he is. He can do 10 deadhang pullups, do a 5k in 23 min without training(MOFO!) and do 50 pushups at the drop of a hat with good form. (his academic self though grew up in a household with no electricity,filled with hippie parents who made him chop wood and pump water from a well and homeschooled him until he got to the ivy league). Despite all that manual labor..he remained skinny.

And he is good with bodyweight exercises but definately needs to lift more...becuase his girlfriend (me!) is a personal trainer! SO funny, it's usually the guys showing their girlfriends the weights. This time it's opposite.

But I love him..skinny man and all. But he is a bit self conscious I think, especially dating a personal trainer. I told him he didn't have to lift and get bigger if he doesn't want to. He shouldn't do it for me. But I think in the back of his phd academic self he always harbored wanting to get muscular. I am just a great excuse to do so.

Still...I will love my guy no matter what!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Become what you want to be: you shouldn't care about what people say about physique, most of them are not in a position to judge anyway.
  • 2gurl45
    Options
    To be honest I don't really care if a guy is skinny, muscular, or abit chubby. I focus more on personality, and I look at the face more so often than the body !! But I think I do have a slight inclination towards guys who are a little muscley! Not too muscley, ones that are tall and have some muscles! But if a guy has muscles than all the better, at least he can pick me up! I don't really have a great preference. I would go for a skinny or muscley guy I'm not picky, but what takes me in is how I clique with them :P
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Work on what you want and they will come.

No truer way to be unhappy than to try to make yourself something you don't want for someone you don't know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have found that it has a lot more will your personality, self-esteem, confidence, etc than anything else. Many moons ago, I was very skinny (5'10.5" and a buck 35 or so)...I wasn't happy with the way I looked so my self-esteem and confidence really took a hit. I came to find out much later that a lot of cute girls were interested in me, but my overall lack of self confidence when I was actually around them was off-putting. It wasn't until I gained confidence in myself that those things changed. That in and of itself can be an arguous journey. For me, I joined the Marine Corps out of highschool and that pretty much changed my life. I was still skinny (though I did put some muscle on and was pretty cut)...but the Corps changed me from FEELING like a skinny geek to FEELING like a bad *kitten* mo-fo skinny geek who knew several ways to drop even the biggest dudes around. The thing is, I did that for myself...it was something I wanted to do...I didn't do it for anyone else or for chicks, etc. Now, I'm not saying you should do anything rash like joining the military...but you need to find a way to get your self confidence up I think. In my experience, lifting and getting stronger always helps in that RE...you look better and feel better...and you feel awesome when you're pushing up some heavy weights regarless of your physique.

As far as a personal trainer goes, I would definitely consult one. You don't need a full time trainer IMHO, but it's always good to consult with a good one from time to time. They can at least look at your goals and adjust your workout accordingly and show you how to do it right. Good to consult with them from time to time as you progress and hit plateus as well. Just remember, you need to do this for yourself...not anybody else. If you're doing for other people, you'll never be happy with the results.

BTW....now I'm a big fat *kitten* geek and have been for quite awhile...I still had no problems landing the most awesome chick in the universe and making her my wife.
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    Obviously you're talking to the wrong girls dude, because I know there are tons of ladies out there who just love skinny dudes.
  • Iron_warrior33
    Options
    Ok, yesterday there was a post, saying women don't like muscular guys, todays post says women don't like skinny guys. That only leaves the chubby guys left, now if tomorrow there's a post saying women don't like chubby guys, I guess that just means all women are lesbians????
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    Become what you want to be: you shouldn't care about what people say about physique, most of them are not in a position to judge anyway.

^^THIS
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My manbeast was 125 soaking wet when we met. He was (is) sweet, charming, and adorably dorky. In the past eight years he's managed to gain about 40 pounds, mostly muscle. I don't know how he's done it, as he eats like crap and only exercises half heartedly, but it can be done. He still thinks he's too skinny. I don't care.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Join a gym do resistance training (lifting weights) find out your base metabolic rate (BMR) and eat around 200 calories over your BMR.

200 above BMR?!?!? I think you mean TDEE. eating above BMR but below TDEE will cause him to LOSE not GAIN.... ugh...
  • Shamrock_me
    Options

THIS!!
    Yes.. This is Freaking the right Answer!!!
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Crossfit? It is a pretty expensive gym but they have coaches that work with you one on one. I have a few male friends that were pretty skinny and got a great physique after training for a year or two with Crossfit.

You can go to the gym and do it yourself but it sounds like you are just beginning training for the first time, it might be worth it for you to have some kind of help with your training so you start off with great habits, also you will see the most gains in the early stages of working out so might as well make the most you can of them.

Also, if you are a hard gainer you are going to really have to pay attention to diet and how to get your body to build muscle, eating clean and increasing your caloric surplus is also something to keep in mind.

The good thing about being skinny is if you work hard whatever muscle you get will show quickly, you don't have to get rid of a layer of fat first.

Good luck:-)
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this guy has never thought about it
    >Mick Jagar
  • AKbikini
    Options
    The most attractive people are the ones that accept themselves as they are, but strive to improves themselves, physically, mentally and emotionnaly, on a daily basis. If you are not happy with your body, this is what you're projecting to the ladies. Concentrate on the positive aspects of yourself, and work on the ones you like less. And the idea of a good personal trainer is right on! Remember...different strokes for different folks...tall, short, skinny, round...you can't generalize on what people like.
  • messyjessi12
    Options
    Working out– whether it's to gain muscle mass or work on cardiovascular health– is good for you, so do it anyways!

But just to clarify. MY boyfriend is a skinny dude. Probably around your weight, 5'8 ish. He won me with his sense of humor, his outgoing personality, his persistence and patience, etc., etc.! I couldn't give a CRAP how skinny he is. In fact, I love to cook, so I don't feel guilty feeding him up! And the more I got to know him, the sexier he became to me. :)

So just be clear that if you have confidence in your approach to women, then the right woman will come along, and she is going to love you for many of your merits– not just your body type.
  • jsdouglas26
    Options
    Thanks everyone it really makes me feel a lot better. That's not the only reason I've gotten to the gym but it was one of them.
  • jsdouglas26
    Options
    The most attractive people are the ones that accept themselves as they are, but strive to improves themselves, physically, mentally and emotionnaly, on a daily basis. If you are not happy with your body, this is what you're projecting to the ladies. Concentrate on the positive aspects of yourself, and work on the ones you like less. And the idea of a good personal trainer is right on! Remember...different strokes for different folks...tall, short, skinny, round...you can't generalize on what people like.
    that's true
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this guy has never thought about it
    >Mick Jagar
    Nor did this guy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkcoNSTdK2K5SscwTmsgytnYE868Opk7REdhcjaqpNZZDFLx7a

Robert Plant was skinny as a rail - had a sunken chest and arms like matchsticks, but I doubt he ever had trouble attracting women.

OP - nothing wrong with buffing up, but do it for YOU, not because you think it will attract women. I've known plenty of guys with bodies like Adonis, but as soon as they opened their mouth women ran the other way because they were total douches. An improved physique may help YOU as far as having more confidence, but it's not the be-all-end-all of attracting women.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Join a gym do resistance training (lifting weights) find out your base metabolic rate (BMR) and eat around 200 calories over your BMR.

Basal* Metabolic Rate
    My bad typing on iPhone autocorrect.

Either way, this won't allow you to bulk. You need to eat over your TDEE or total daily energy expended. TDEE is the calories you burn from your BMR , daily routine and exercise. So my BMR is about 2080, i have a desk job (sedentary) and average 500 calories for a workout. I have done a slow bulk in the past so I eat 250 calories greater that my TDEE. So my caloric needs would be:

=2080*1.2+500+250 = 3246

Then you want to make sure you get 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 g of fat per lb of lean body mass and the rest can be carbs.

If you don't know a workout routine, strong lift 5x5 is a good program to start with.

OP- do you know your body fat and what is your height? I am thinking you will need 2700+ calories.
    Listen to this....^^^^^^