Best response to a telemarketer.

Options

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i <3 Caller ID- i dont even pick up and when they hear the answering machine they dont even leave a message. Although every once in awhile ill get one that doesnt seem to understand an answering machine (god i know, so old school (rolls eyes)) and will say " hello? hello?" 20x.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I let either my 6 year old or 4 year old answer the phone.. They normally just hang up on my kids and then I block the number from calling again.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you but, NO thank you.

They can't work out if it's yes or no and it's too polite to argue with.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this and you know... why are we so hard on telemarketers? Scam artists I don't mind messing with but telemarketers? They're just doing their job. A really ****ty job. They're trying to earn a pay cheque and here we are giving them grief for it.

A good friend of mine had to work as a telemarketer for a few months back when the job market was ****ty. She couldn't get a job anywhere else. She hated it. Every minute of it. Every day people were screaming at her and being jerks to her, all while she was just trying to make ends meet.

Anyway. Scam artists deserve a good old rub but telemarketers are just regular people who are paid to sell a product. Like a door to door salesman but LESS intrusive because you can just hang up. I wouldn't slam the door in a door salesman's face.

Just my two cents. :P
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this and you know... why are we so hard on telemarketers? Scam artists I don't mind messing with but telemarketers? They're just doing their job. A really ****ty job. They're trying to earn a pay cheque and here we are giving them grief for it.

A good friend of mine had to work as a telemarketer for a few months back when the job market was ****ty. She couldn't get a job anywhere else. She hated it. Every minute of it. Every day people were screaming at her and being jerks to her, all while she was just trying to make ends meet.

Anyway. Scam artists deserve a good old rub but telemarketers are just regular people who are paid to sell a product. Like a door to door salesman but LESS intrusive because you can just hang up. I wouldn't slam the door in a door salesman's face.

Just my two cents. :P

thats fine and dandy except they get paid whether they get a sale or not (unless its commission) and they seem to have the worlds WORST timing. Thats part of the reason people get mad plus they dont understand NO.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

thats fine and dandy except they get paid whether they get a sale or not (unless its commission) and they seem to have the worlds WORST timing. Thats part of the reason people get mad plus they dont understand NO.

That's because they're expected to push and they get in trouble if they don't. :)

I don't see the point of yelling at them, tricking them or pranking them. Why not just hang the phone up?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I switched my home phone over to my fax line. Now they get the annoying loud beep of my fax.

The real people I want to talk with call my cell phone.

It's so satisfying to hear the phone ring, see "out of area" on the caller ID and then hear my fax machine pick up! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can't hear anything that comes out from a telephone. I could feel a boom when I shot a .30-06 rifle and I couldn't hear it without using the hear protection form. Yeah, you are right I am a profounded deaf. :)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I can't hear anything that comes out from a telephone. I could feel a boom when I shot a .30-06 rifle and I couldn't hear it without using the hear protection form. Yeah, you are right I am a profounded deaf. :)

That's quite deaf I'd say. I have shot a 30-06 and that sucker is LOUD!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    "No, Sally is not available. She stole all our petty cash and flew off to New Zealand to find Xena Warrior Princess and Hercules on their legendary journeys. Bye."
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My brother has something similar to Aspergers and he gets rid of them without even trying! He just starts talking about his latest obsession (periodic table, math equations, family history, farmville 2... etc.) and will NOT let them talk about anything else. He does this in real life too, when you try to change the subject he just keeps talking about it until you stop responding.

I'm starting to think he might be on to something...
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've gone by my middle name since the day I was born...my parents were pressured into giving me the "family" first name. So whenever I get a telemarketer, they always ask for my first name. I just tell them that there is no one here that goes by that name.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you really want the calls to stop the best way is simply to ask them directly to put you on the companies do not call list. Make sure you write down the name of the company calling and the date and time.

they can be sued for up to $1,500 for each violation after your request per the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

It legally requires these companies to maintain do-not-call lists of anyone who requests to be taken off the call list.

They typically will not call back after being reminded that and if they do you can stick it to them.

A lot of these calls are now originating outside the country, and thus they cannot be prosecuted. Do you ever get those recorded calls from "Rachel at Card Services?" Yeah, those... Not from the US.

Or they're scams. There are some that you try to say "do not call list" and they hang up before you can get it out (I guess they reason you didn't say it/they didn't hear it)… they keep calling back. Anyway, after that happened a few times I called back the number on my caller ID to complain to a supervisor … and it was spoofed to a real card company. Sadly not much you can do legally, there, since you don't even know who's calling. That's when I pull out these tactics.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    (because I sound 5 on the phone)

They always lead with "Hi there is your mommy or daddy home?"

and I say

"(sigh)... mmmmmmmm... (pause) mommy left on (whatever day was six days ago)... but it's ok we have cereal!!!" *hangs up*
  • mvandommelen
    Options
    My dad... one called and asked for Mrs. Brandy (knowing it was a telemarketer) my Dad said she could not come to the phone right now because he had her locked up in the basement. Hahaha, the caller hung up immediately!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My uncle once asked a telemarketer for their phone number so he could call her back after he finished his dinner. She was so shocked that she just hung up.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok, So this really isn't a telemarketer, but similar. My roommate years ago, had never known what a Jehovah Witness was. So she answered the door and let them give her the info then she gave them her name. So, every week they would come back asking for her. Finally, she and I and our other roommate had had enough and so I answered the door. When they said her name, I made my eyes well up with tears and started sobbing. They asked what was wrong and I told them she had just died in car accident four days ago. They apologized profusely and left. A friend of mine still lives there and no Jehovah witnesses have ever stopped by the house again.
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    I put my two year old on the phone to talk to them. Last time I put them on speaker phone, and they sat there in silence for about 5 minutes before hanging up.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Oh man, these sound great. Too bad I'm on the "Do Not Call" list in my state. I don't get telemarketing calls.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    " Thanks for interrupting....I had a pretty good *kitten* going. Do you know how difficult it will be to get that going again? "