How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I found that I could only go to a bar and not get hammered once I joined AA.

Just something to think about - a regular drinker is capable of controlling his or her consumption; an alcoholic, is not.

I tried to join, but Steps 1 and 2 were dealbreakers for me ... but hey now I'm an ex-alcoholic ...
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all.

Yep, my point exactly!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ahh those happy days when I was at Uni/had just left!

A few things that worked for me:
    Getting a mortgage (that cured my spending like magic)!
    Some 20 years later walking out of a well paid job to become a penniless writer!

My trick is to switch between the alcohol of choice and get a soft drink next time.

Just a word about holding your friends accountable - i knew someone who would get hammered ridinkidonkly quickly ... Lost a brand new coat and a brand new iPhone once, never got rounds in, and on one occasion was so hammered there was no way they could get themselves down the road let alone home, so I had to take care of them... Not a bloody word of thanks. Next time they were at mine for a party, again super hammered and fell off the front step. I refuse to offer to let them stay now, because it is an odds on bet that they will get hammered and basically ruin my night. That act gets real old, real quickly ...
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Drink Less. Being an adult is rough.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is a serious question!
    Every single time I go to the bar, I end up drinking more than I planned. I'll go with every intention to have only two beers and to drink slowly. I don't know what comes over me, but I just can't stick with only two drinks!

Anyone have any advice?

Also, I know avoiding the bar is the obvious solution, but I really love going when my friend's bands play. I'd just like to be able to go and enjoy myself without drinking so much.

Thanks!

Date an alcoholic for about a year...that'll change your frame of mind REAL quick
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

So is being a jerk but that doesn't stop most people...
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    If you don't have self control over your drinking ..I would question whether you have a legit problem...aka...seek some help. The only other option would be to suck it up, only take enough money for a drink or two, and learn how to tell yourself no.

Otherwise....just imagine this and know you don't want that to be you on camera...
    drunk-santa-fail.gif
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I will tell you what NOT to do.
    Don't bang the bartender. This has not helped to slow my drinking at all.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all. This question is just as legit as all the countless treads asking how to stop binge eating or eating fatty foods/chocolate/candy/soda... You get my point, just don't eat them isn't always the answer we need
    Excuse me?

Last I checked, I'm not here because I'm an alcoholic.

To the OP:

Step 1: Don't drink
    Step 2: Don't allow anyone to hit with you a hammer.

You're welcome.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Leave the credit card at home, just leave 5-10 dollars in your wallet.

This doesn't work for me because I never have to buy my own drinks. I know some of you think this thread is silly but I think it's a fair question that I deal with as well.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Didn't read other replies, but, it's winter.

Drink the stoutest, thickest, bitterest stout you can find, and swap it up with club soda.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all. This question is just as legit as all the countless treads asking how to stop binge eating or eating fatty foods/chocolate/candy/soda... You get my point, just don't eat them isn't always the answer we need
    Excuse me?

Food binge, alcohol binge - same *kitten*, different substance.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Try some Vitameatavegiman!

tumblr_lj3hf9raZF1qbs7vs-1.gif
  • darloeye
    Options
    only take your ID and 15 bucks

As a girl, I can safely bet that I have never bought more than two of my own drinks in any given night out. I have come home plastered many a time on some random mens dollars. And then left them at the bar.

This is why I don't like buying birds drinks. I'm all for Womans Rights.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

Except when I go and binge on food, I don't potentially become a danger to anyone else due to my lack of self control... only a danger to *myself* Alcohol is a whole other topic.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

Except when I go and binge, I don't potentially become a danger to anyone else since I can't control myself... only a danger to *myself* Alcohol is a whole other topic.
    ^This.

I can't get arrested for eating in public, I can't get arrested for eating and driving, my judgement isn't impaired, the likelihood of me getting in a car crash because I went on a food binge then decided to drive is slim to none...I mean, I can go on and on.

Dear lord. Not even close to the same thing.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It can be pretty hard in social situations, when everyone around is drinking and encouraging it, not to have more. I understand and I used to have this problem. I went to a lot of shows (my bf is musician) and my friends would be having beers and shots. It got to the point where I had to sacrifice being on time for work/working with a hangover or having more booze. Not to mention my weight loss was suffering because of the alcohol.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't waking up and having a drink at 6am everyday. I mean choosing to drink more when we went out to bars which was once a week or so. I finally decided that I was going to limit myself to 3 drinks when we went out. It was really hard at first. But just like you have the "want/will" to eat better and exercise for weight loss, you must have will to limit your drinks. You have to want it.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

So is being a jerk but that doesn't stop most people...

oh-snap_zpsf039ad21.gif
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Do one or two drinks and then water.

I'm a light weight so it doesn't take much for me to get a buzz on and my husband watches me because as he says: "1 drink too many Jennie is fun. 2 drinks too many and it's night -night fun time over." And it's true. I don't go out and get hammered every weekend but there are the times where I am having fun and I'm not paying attention and I don't drink water and next thing you know I'm telling my husband I want to go home in a really annoying voice that I continue to use the entire ride back home until we get here. :smile:

I'm fine when I'm by myself and I have to drive or I see that my husband is having a good time and I feel I should drive home. It's when I'm not driving that I tend to over indulge.

Seriously though if you pace yourself chances are good you won't get hammered. And make sure you have a DD too regardless.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    But just like you have the "want/will" to eat better and exercise for weight loss, you must have will to limit your drinks. You have to want it.
    Thanks, this is a very helpful observation. I know it'll be difficult, but it must be done!