I have strong feelings

Options

Replies

• jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

As far as calories…

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

If you plug in all your info (typically age, gender, height and weight) into one of those calculators what you get is the average metabolic rate of a group of people who share your age, sex, height and weight. What you DON’T get is YOUR EXACT calorie needs. It's a place to start.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

You want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier. There are a bunch of tricks and clean eating; reducing sugar (especially HFCS), fiber, white flour vs whole grain, low carb, low fat, on and on. All that matters is calories for weight loss. If you need to eat a certain way for health reasons or to feel better do it, but extensive good food and bad food lists will drive you insane at some point, it’s a constantly moving target. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, mostly balanced, within a calorie budget. We all know what healthy is by now, just do it.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ this is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.

I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

Cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.

Everyone is different, but it's very easy to do a lot of cardio and think you can eat more than you really need, especially when you need to lose weight. It is also easy to think that you are burning more fat than you really are. Just do cardio if you enjoy it and because it's good for you.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

mocks the science behind this and wonders if poster read the rest of the thread.
    I'm also offended. You know why and if you dont' your stupid.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have strong feelings that conflict with yours. Hence you're a misogynistic fascist. A quote attributed to the wrong person.

But I don't want to get into it. I'm bigger than that.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    [mocks the science behind this and wonders if poster read the rest of the thread.

Has already left to copy and paste the exact same thing in another thread.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    <inserts random smiley just to be a part of the thread>
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    lurks his own thread and wonders why no one takes the issue he had strong feelings about seriously, and why everyone is just arguing about religion all of a sudden.
    Contemplates deleting account.
    Contemplates trying to bring the attention of the thread back to his strongly held belief.
    Scans through five pages of replies and cannot find a single post related to the original post and decides that there is actually no reasonable way to get the thread back on track:

I WISH I NEVER POSTED! HOW DO I DELETE THIS?

I just wanted to say that everyone (not necessarily on THIS thread) has strong feelings about something...and THAT is OK...
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have strong feelings that conflict with yours. Hence you're a misogynistic fascist. A quote attributed to the wrong person.

But I don't want to get into it. I'm bigger than that.

Says he has two friends that are women and so can't possibly be a misogynist. Accuses you of broscience and uses an old wives' tale in support of his position. Says something misogynistic like 'old wive's tale'.

"No one can make you consent without your inferior."
    -Eleanor Rigby
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    [mocks the science behind this and wonders if poster read the rest of the thread.

Has already left to copy and paste the exact same thing in another thread.

Will remember seeing said long post multiple times in other parts of forum and rolls eyes at constant cut/paste tactics of poster and plugs for weight loss site and/or quotes from "guru" that will be inevitably included.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Posts a general "good morning", uses the OP's title of "strong feelings" as a segue into a TMI question about the colour and/or consistency and/or frequency of her bowel movements, seeks medical opinion because obviously going to the doctor would be the appropriate action, and assumes strangers on the internet would diagnose her condition accurately.

(Edited for typos)
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Says he has two friends that are women and so can't possibly be a misogynist. Accuses you of broscience and uses an old wives' tale in support of his position. Says something misogynistic like 'old wive's tale'.

"No one can make you consent without your inferior."
    -Eleanor Rigby

Will say that consent is an illusion and then open a can of wtf by arguing that those priests accused of molestation were the real victims.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

As far as calories…

If you plug in all your info (typically age, gender, height and weight) into one of those calculators what you get is the average metabolic rate of a group of people who share your age, sex, height and weight. What you DON’T get is YOUR EXACT calorie needs. It's a place to start.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

You want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier. There are a bunch of tricks and clean eating; reducing sugar (especially HFCS), fiber, white flour vs whole grain, low carb, low fat, on and on. All that matters is calories for weight loss. If you need to eat a certain way for health reasons or to feel better do it, but extensive good food and bad food lists will drive you insane at some point, it’s a constantly moving target. Just eat what you like, mostly healthy, mostly balanced, within a calorie budget. We all know what healthy is by now, just do it.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ this is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.

I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

Cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.

Everyone is different, but it's very easy to do a lot of cardio and think you can eat more than you really need, especially when you need to lose weight. It is also easy to think that you are burning more fat than you really are. Just do cardio if you enjoy it and because it's good for you.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

mocks the science behind this and wonders if poster read the rest of the thread.

did you really need to quote that whole thing??
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options

is offended at the implication that I never meant to post the whole thing and maybe, just maybe forgot to actually cut it out.
    Im still offended though.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

As far as calories…

TL;DR
    You all have to stay away from carbs or you'll be fat forever. That's all you need to know.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

As far as calories…

Ironically makes ironical reference to irony, but phrases it in a way that others have a position to say that it isn't actually irony. Inevitably, at least a couple of people will completely miss the irony/sarcasm and will respond as if I was being absolutely serious.

Bonus: by quoting the WOT!! in this message responding to a complaint about quoting the entire WOT!!, it will lead to at least a half dozen fully quoted responses. People will abandon the arrow key to read through the forthcoming pages and will instead need to rely on their page down keys.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

As far as calories…

Ironically makes ironical reference to irony, but phrases it in a way that others have a position to say that it isn't actually irony. Inevitably, at least a couple of people will completely miss the irony/sarcasm and will respond as if I was being absolutely serious.

Bonus: by quoting the WOT!! in this message responding to a complaint about quoting the entire WOT!!, it will lead to at least a half dozen fully quoted responses. People will abandon the arrow key to read through the forthcoming pages and will instead need to rely on their page down keys.

posts "^^^ THIS" to the last response, but includes all previous "wall of text" responses in my response, thus unneccesarily murdering billions of innocent electrons in the process.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

As far as calories…

posts "^^^ THIS" to the last response, but includes all previous "wall of text" responses in my response, thus unneccesarily murdering billions of innocent electrons in the process.

re-posts and re-quotes everything just to correct the spelling error... "unnecessarily", instead of editing previous post.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

As far as calories…

re-posts and re-quotes everything just to correct the spelling error... "unnecessarily", instead of editing previous post.

Helpfully explains how the "edit" function works so you hopefully won't requote a pile of text like that again just to correct your spelling...(but you still will, and you'll be offended that I tried to help). Still quotes the entire mess in my response because 1) irony is still my favorite form of humor, or 2) I'm an idiot.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You wanna say that to my face? Come at me bro.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

As far as calories…

Helpfully explains how the "edit" function works so you hopefully won't requote a pile of text like that again just to correct your spelling...(but you still will, and you'll be offended that I tried to help). Still quotes the entire mess in my response because 1) irony is still my favorite form of humor, or 2) I'm an idiot.

posts "THANKS" while re-quoting all previous "wall of text" responses, without any understanding of irony.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Points out that this comment is challenging someone else's keyboard bravado with...even more keyboard bravado.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

misconstrues your aggression as an invitation to post more funny gifs.

tumblr_mew3zfwUbp1ro2d43.gif