Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Everything :/ lol

Anything that I don't consider one of my safe foods

^This so this!!!

That is concerning.

Not a healthy relationship with food AT ALL.

I feel like MFP really has its downsides--this being huge one.

Food is fuel people. I'm not suggesting you go stuff your face with 6 Big Mac's and my previous posts refers to the fact that super high fat foods actually make me physically ill.

I try not to let my self-esteem or emotions get caught up in my weight/food I'm eating. Life is going to be pretty miserable if you're constantly feeling guilty over eating.

I think you can eat anything within reason, but of course if there's a food that bothers you, you could cut that out but it should not be a mental thing. You should never feel guilty for eating. It is possible to eat a cookie or french fries or chocolate and still be under for the day.

I am not stranger to binges (and I am talking about REAL legitimate binges not eating like 500 calories) and yeah sometimes I feel guilty after those but I'm working on not freaking out about them, one day over-indulgence isn't the end of the world. If you're defining yourself based on your weight/food intake and getting too obsessive or resorting to VLCD then you're just unhealthy as you would be if you were obese--not just physically, but mentally

(OP not directed at you, more the people who are saying they are afraid of food/those with disordered eating in genreal)

And before anyone jumps on me I've been in recovery from Anorexia for 6 years with bouts of Bulimia since. I'm not stranger to it and I do understand, that's why I find it so upsetting.

Did you not read her post? She said "Anything that she doesn't consider a safe food" in my thought that means anything that doesn't go into my day. If I go over my calories I freak out most the time. Recently I've gone back to the "I don't care" And that scares me. Going from 250 lbs to 127 lbs, I'm really cautious and you better believe I eat, I couldn't live without food, I love to eat and I would rather be fat then starve myself, however I don't want to be fat so when I have dreams of myself with 3 chins again, it scares me. I wake up some times grabbing at my neck because I over ate lol. I think that is my self telling myself to do better the next day.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Anything with a lot of grease. Burgers mostly.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    pizza, chocolate, and cookie dough. O_o
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds. I wanted a mcdouble the other day and decided to have one. I was sick all night from it. It was a lesson well learned.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Everything :/ lol

Anything that I don't consider one of my safe foods

^This so this!!!

That is concerning.

Not a healthy relationship with food AT ALL.

I feel like MFP really has its downsides--this being huge one.

Food is fuel people. I'm not suggesting you go stuff your face with 6 Big Mac's and my previous posts refers to the fact that super high fat foods actually make me physically ill.

I try not to let my self-esteem or emotions get caught up in my weight/food I'm eating. Life is going to be pretty miserable if you're constantly feeling guilty over eating.

I think you can eat anything within reason, but of course if there's a food that bothers you, you could cut that out but it should not be a mental thing. You should never feel guilty for eating. It is possible to eat a cookie or french fries or chocolate and still be under for the day.

I am not stranger to binges (and I am talking about REAL legitimate binges not eating like 500 calories) and yeah sometimes I feel guilty after those but I'm working on not freaking out about them, one day over-indulgence isn't the end of the world. If you're defining yourself based on your weight/food intake and getting too obsessive or resorting to VLCD then you're just unhealthy as you would be if you were obese--not just physically, but mentally

(OP not directed at you, more the people who are saying they are afraid of food/those with disordered eating in genreal)

And before anyone jumps on me I've been in recovery from Anorexia for 6 years with bouts of Bulimia since. I'm not stranger to it and I do understand, that's why I find it so upsetting.

Did you not read her post? She said "Anything that she doesn't consider a safe food" in my thought that means anything that doesn't go into my day. If I go over my calories I freak out most the time. Recently I've gone back to the "I don't care" And that scares me. Going from 250 lbs to 127 lbs, I'm really cautious and you better believe I eat, I couldn't live without food, I love to eat and I would rather be fat then starve myself, however I don't want to be fat so when I have dreams of myself with 3 chins again, it scares me. I wake up some times grabbing at my neck because I over ate lol. I think that is my self telling myself to do better the next day.

I think of the idea of safe foods of a very limited number of (often low fat, low cal etc) foods that a person sticks to and refusing to eat anything else, but maybe it's just the term "safe foods" where we differ.

Just as long as you're being healthy and meeting your nutritional needs. I haven't lost nearly as much weight as you (Congrats that is impressive!!) and I am also scared of gaining it back so I understand that.

Just makes me sad when people stick to like 5 foods that they'll eat, never let themselves "cheat" and stop going out to eat or being around friends etc because they're afraid of food. I'm projecting a lot of my own experiences here. I just feel like sometimes people get too obsessive and it has a negative impact on mental health.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Chocolate in excess
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Disgusted? Wow that's pretty strong on account of a cookie..... It is christmas and a little of what you fancy does you good. It's excess that's bad news :-)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I only feel disgusted if I have soooo much that it puts me over my goal and ruins my calories for that day..

Common foods are having way too many cookies (common :/) , too much nutella, pasta or white processed bread
  • madcat_wechanged
    Options
    :frown: Mountain Dew is my weakness since I work 3rd shift...:noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I only regret eating things that don't taste good. I never feel guilty or disgusting about eating food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    zero reason you should feel bad about eating food.
    Agreed. I refuse to let weight loss turn into a neurosis or eating disorder. Food is my ally, not my enemy.

^^yep
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Disgusted? Wow that's pretty strong on account of a cookie..... It is christmas and a little of what you fancy does you good. It's excess that's bad news :-)

Agreed, maybe disappointed with myself but I plan treats so I enjoy them and don't have the guilty feel after, Love yourself and life.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, since eating fresh, brightly colored foods and the right portion sizes, I can't eat big meals or enjoy a lot of greasy fried batter dipped foods. Jalopeno Poppers and Fried Cheese use to be some of my favorite foods, now after just one it hits my stomache hard and creates havoc on my digestion.

I tried one of those snicker protein bars not too long ago...same thing. More than a couple of ounces of nuts, same thing.

It's not that the taste of the food disgusts me, my body just doesn't like those foods anymore. My new comfort foods aren't what they were a year ago. I think I am going to keep it that way.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I only regret eating things that don't taste good. I never feel guilty or disgusting about eating food.

I have eaten disgusting things. A cookie I baked - never disgusting.

Rotten eggs, pickled brains, fermented tongue? That's disgusting to me. To me.

Orthorexia is an eating disorder. Obsessing about eating clean or over-avoiding certain food as being unclean can go to extremes, take care of yourself.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I'll often feel like that when I overeat pasta.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Hope you guys can learn to develop a healthier relationship with food :flowerforyou:
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For me it's more volume of unhealthy food - eating THREE desserts, a whole bag of any kind of chip etc..

When the desserts are not good tasting well that's just a downer! Wasted calories on sub-par treats!

Ease up - every so often a cookie is quite tasty - maybe every once a while it's ok. Just make the next meal a good one and move forward.
  • owen_richardson
    Options
    i am so with you on that. marshmellows. gosh.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this.

This thread makes me sad.

I have never felt "disgusted" with myself or beat myself up over a cookie, or even a box of cookies.

I have felt like crap after eating, but that was physical, like heartburn, indigestion, etc, and made me think "maybe I shouldn't have eaten the whole pizza", but I never thought " I am disgusting".

I feel very sad for those who do, and hope they get help with that type of thinking and can move past it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sad thread is sad.

358fpc.jpg

A life where a cookie makes you disgusted? Screw that.
    Eat. Enjoy it. Know your limits, work within them but enjoy the world around you.

Food is great.