Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    105lbs using an Olympic bar in the squat rack, LOL
  • wee_wolfie
    wee_wolfie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use the wee wiggly bar, but curl maybe 24kg, or a max of 12kg with dumbbells. I usually work with 10kg, and go up to 12 for the last couple of sets. I do curl, hammer curl and concentration curls for 4 sets of 10 (or 7) reps. I spend far too much time on arms, but I want a nice gun show :D
  • i curl in the sguat cage because i curl an olympic bar with weights on it. that is the safest place to be as the bar is too wide to be anywhere else!!!

<swoons> sigghhhh...that's my girl crush, Lynette right there...she can curl wherever she wants, and she lifts so heavy she makes all the boys cry. ;)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I rarely do isolation exercises.
    dead
    squat
    bent over row
    bench
    military press
    pull up

55 dumbbell and 135 with a barbell if I feel bored enough to do isolation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i curl in the sguat cage because i curl an olympic bar with weights on it. that is the safest place to be as the bar is too wide to be anywhere else!!!

This is why we are friends

People never seem to realize that space in a gym is a zero sum game. Waaah, you're in the squat rack! Well, where would you rather I be? I'm curling 150 lbs, so I'm using an Olympic bar because there is no other piece of equipment that can handle that weight. So, should I swing this bar around the middle of the floor? And if I did, I would be taking the bar away from the rack, the bench or the shoulder press. So now you can't do any of those exercises. So before they cry about the precious squat rack that barely anyone uses anyway, could they please tell me where to stand with this bar I stole from the bench press?
  • DavPul
    Options
    Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls and Preacher Curls are a staple to developing big arms PERIOD..!!

I switch up my bicep workouts every Monday and I do all 3 of these.

About 2 or 3 years ago there was an article posted about a study done using an EMG (I believe that's what it was called at least) to determine which exercises create the greatest peak contraction of various muscle groups. For the biceps, the exercise creating the largest peak contraction was the chin-up, Preacher/Scot Curl was number 5 I believe and barbell curl was further down the list. Obviously there are benefits to using various bicep exercises but for somebody interested in just strength development and/or training efficiency curling is not necessary.

These studies are always weird because everyone with big *kitten* arms does curls. Ok, i get it, most people on mfp want strength instead. But there has got to be some room on this site for hypertrophy, even it's just a small corner someplace.

Studies have also shown that cardio doesn't interfere with mass or strength gains.... Yet I can't find any actual bodybuilders or powerlifters that concur. Take studies with a grain of salt.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    i curl in the sguat cage because i curl an olympic bar with weights on it. that is the safest place to be as the bar is too wide to be anywhere else!!!

People never seem to realize that space in a gym is a zero sum game. Waaah, you're in the squat rack! Well, where would you rather I be? I'm curling 150 lbs, so I'm using an Olympic bar because there is no other piece of equipment that can handle that weight. So, should I swing this bar around the middle of the floor? And if I did, I would be taking the bar away from the rack, the bench or the shoulder press. So now you can't do any of those exercises. So before they cry about the precious squat rack that barely anyone uses anyway, could they please tell me where to stand with this bar I stole from the bench press?

This is even more valid in my gym. There are two oly bars, and two racks. I can curl in the middle of the gym instead if you like, but I'm not sure what you plan to do in the rack with no bar.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

This is even more valid in my gym. There are two oly bars, and two racks. I can curl in the middle of the gym instead if you like, but I'm not sure what you plan to do in the rack with no bar.

I will do dips :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls and Preacher Curls are a staple to developing big arms PERIOD..!!

I switch up my bicep workouts every Monday and I do all 3 of these.

About 2 or 3 years ago there was an article posted about a study done using an EMG (I believe that's what it was called at least) to determine which exercises create the greatest peak contraction of various muscle groups. For the biceps, the exercise creating the largest peak contraction was the chin-up, Preacher/Scot Curl was number 5 I believe and barbell curl was further down the list. Obviously there are benefits to using various bicep exercises but for somebody interested in just strength development and/or training efficiency curling is not necessary.

These studies are always weird because everyone with big *kitten* arms does curls. Ok, i get it, most people on mfp want strength instead. But there has got to be some room on this site for hypertrophy, even it's just a small corner someplace.

Studies have also shown that cardio doesn't interfere with mass or strength gains.... Yet I can't find any actual bodybuilders or powerlifters that concur. Take studies with a grain of salt.

Excellent point. That possibly could be because as you're going through the lift, your wrists have to twist naturally (again, this is the primary function of the biceps) to hold onto a bar. Dumbbells obviously have an even greater advantage. So...while the chin up creates a greater overall contraction (but your elbows bend in a plane!), the curl might utilize your biceps more naturally, and thus, more completely. I think for strength the difference might be minute, but for hypertrophy and size gains, I'd go with the more natural motion that utilizes the entire muscle.
  • DavPul
    Options

Excellent point. That possibly could be because as you're going through the lift, your wrists have to twist naturally (again, this is the primary function of the biceps) to hold onto a bar. Dumbbells obviously have an even greater advantage. So...while the chin up creates a greater overall contraction (but your elbows bend in a plane!), the curl might utilize your biceps more naturally, and thus, more completely. I think for strength the difference might be minute, but for hypertrophy and size gains, I'd go with the more natural motion that utilizes the entire muscle.

And this is why we're friends. Thoughtful answer even tho we do different routines with different priorities
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Would I answer this based upon what I would curl with one arm (single dumbbell) or two arms (barbell)? Yes, this is a serious question.... I'm kindo new to lifting and don't really do curls much, so I thought I'd ask.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Would I answer this based upon what I would curl with one arm (single dumbbell) or two arms (barbell)? Yes, this is a serious question.... I'm kindo new to lifting and don't really do curls much, so I thought I'd ask.

doesnt matter

you are a girl

you belong in the kitchen curling me up a sandwich

chop chop!

No_2f1f15_2745133_zps5f8553c8.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, I did a few sets of 6 with 65 on the bar. (Now to read through this thread and see how many women lift more than I.)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, I did a few sets of 6 with 65 on the bar. (Now to read through this thread and see how many women lift more than I.)

I may not be a woman, but I sure do make a mean sandwich.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I may not be a woman, but I sure do make a mean sandwich.

sammich1_zps102b16d2.jpg
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm so good at everything that I can't really let a girl make my sandwiches... they don't make them good enough.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A51nbknCMAELni9.jpg:large
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Well, squat, deadlift and bench are the big 3. Curling isn't that popular anymore, especially with people trying to separate themselves from the 'curlbros.'

That said, I have no idea. I've never tried to curl more than 60lbs.

I work separate muscles 5 days a week, and have seen big gains this way so is something I keep track of. I always see people flexing there biceps , not there legs , back, and chest, so why not post what you are curling since everyone I know does some type of curls at the gym ;-) Do we not want big arms?

You're completely right, I mean, I only use my core muscles to sit up straight, support my spine, and lift my lower body over my head, and I only use my legs to walk, lift things, climb stairs, but my biceps, in my real life I use them constantly. See what I'm getting at here? Yes, admittedly, I do use biceps to carry and lift things (including myself) but really, when you want to talk about body strength, even just for health, squats and deadlifts work areas of the body that are way more important than biceps. Also, not everyone who lifts is trying to get big arms, or big anything for that matter.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I see all kinds of guys curl -- barbells, dumbbells, curling bars.
    My son is in high school. He does them all the time.