What does your doctor say you should weigh?

Options

Replies

• amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My doc hasn't said anything like that. His nurse however always tells me I am overweight and I need to lose weight. I like my doc but he doesn't really explain anything unles you specifically ask him.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have never understood what ppl mean by - big frame- , - small frame- ...

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.

The bones aren't really the same. I am 5'9" and my wrist circumference is 6.5". I could never wear a women's watch, only men's--the band just wouldn't close over my wrist. My skeleton has to weigh more than that of, say, Nicole Kidman (just randomly picking a tall woman who seems to be very slender-boned from the pictures).

Back to the thread topic, my doctor said I weighed too much and that I should lose some weight. At the time, I weighed 165 lb and thought I was in pretty decent shape. I have not gone back to see her again since :)
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My doctors have all been obese (I think), my dietician 6/7 years ago was obese, the "quit smoking nurse" is too I think, and my food technology and PE teacher at school were too. Not sure if that has been why weight is hardly brought up.

My current doctor has never talked to me about losing weight. On the rare occasion I see him, if I mention it, it is purely so it is "monitored" in my medical records - "why do you want to be weighed?". Smoking... He always brings that up, and my mental issues.

I think my dietician suggested 14 stone (assuming bad posture, I was 5' 5") - 196 pounds or a BMI of 32.6.

My doctor when I was 14 suggested 11 stone (assuming I was 3 inches shorter, 5' 2") - 154 pounds or an adult BMI of 28.2.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My doctor never gave a number, but says I need to weigh less.
    Every time I'd see him, he'd tell me that I need to walk and lose weight. Migraines? Go for walks. Excema? Go for walks. Got the flu? Go for walks.

Yep, my doctors have the same mentality. Losing weight will cure any health problem. :yawn:
    "Less". Those were the wise words my doctor chose.

And "less" will always be lower than what you weigh, even if you're underweight.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I'm not a fan of getting weight advice from doctors either. When I was in my early 20's and about 123 lbs I went to my doctor for another issue and he told me to make sure I didn't ever get over 125 lbs or I would be overweight (I'm 5'2"). So even though that wasn't true, I have had that silly number stuck in my head ever since. I think the BMI range for my height is 120-140 lbs and I have never been higher than it, except when pregnant. Luckily I have not had another doc bring up the weight issue!
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow listening to some of your goals are pretty amazing. I am 5' 1" and I did hit my goal of 135 in Oct this year. But
    I wanted 130 which I bottom but hard to stay there. My doc is a peanut so I don't know what she would say to me. She is like 4' 11" and dislike 95 soaking wet.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have never understood what ppl mean by - big frame- , - small frame- ...

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.

LOL!!! tell that to my birthing hip bones, and compare it to some women that would never be able to have a natural child birth.

Exactly! I have wide hips which I always moaned about, but I have been able to give birth naturally twice, not needing stitches either time. According to my wrist size I am a medium/large frame.

My weight has never really been checked by my GP. My midwife checked it at my booking visit in both pregnancies and didn't seem bothered. It was around 27 first time, perhaps 28 2nd time. That was at 11 weeks pregnant.

I went to get the pill when my 1st was a few months old and the b*tch nurse told me my BMI was high and I should only eat 1000 calories a day! Hmmm, great advice. I was gymming 5 times a week and looking after a baby. I wrote a letter of complaint.

I find that doctors here (in the UK) tend to use BMI as their main guide. Mine is 26 now and i'd be happy to get under 25, which would mean 150lbs for me.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My doctor goes by BMI. He is happy as long as I am in normal range. For 5'9 I think it's 125-168, something like that. I am 163 now, but still feel I have more to lose. 155 is my goal weight.

I really go more by how my body looks and where I feel comfortable.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    since i was in high school i have always been told i should weigh between 100-110 kbs for my height and bone structure (prefereably closer to 100) in later years had a doctor tell me the last weight where i felt happy is apt weight for me the last weight where i was happy and content was 120 which is where i was from 8th grade until i got pregnant with my daughter (25 years ago). so that is why i have set 120 as my goal to reach and is just over 150 lbs away
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am only 4'11 and it stinks! I SHOULD weight between 93 and 119-
    I was so mad last time I went to the doctors! It used to say to 1224 pounds and I was about 122 the last time I went and they changed the chart so all my info still said OVERWEIGHT! I was so looking forward to getting praise from my doctor since She hadn't seen me since I was in the Obese Category, YET SHE SAID NOTHING! lame..

my goal is 105-110. I am an adult women and I don't think I want to be below 100 ehh
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and my doctor wants me at 150, my goal weight is 155-160
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I believe there are different body frame sizes---just compare your wrist size and finger size to different ppl and see the difference.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" tall. At 150lbs I was wearing a size 14 (US). I'm at 135ish right now and wearing a size 4 to 6.... My chiropractor says I'm at 32% body fat right now. I don't know what the right answer is but I'd say set mini goals until you are comfortable with your body and then maintain it.
    Good luck to you!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    At this point I just want to say One Hundred and . ..Not Two Hundred and ... lbs.

Not gonna lie, that was the BEST weight loss moment for me. Not saying "two hundred and..." anymore. It is a mental boost :-)
  • serenapitala
    Options
    He said 150 lbs.. 2 months later and 10 lbs. lighter, he said "how about 140 lbs." I said what happened to 150 lbs. He said I know you can do it. Gotta love a guy with a sense of humor

Love it :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    My doc wishes he was as fit as I am.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Both my family doctor and my psychiatrist know I will NEVER set a weight goal. Ive set a body fat % goal. I want to be under 20% and I want to build muscle. I'm 5'5" so if I look at BMI I should weigh 112-149lbs to be in the "normal" range. I cant imagine being that small. To me, small = weak. Just my own opinion about my own body. Not judging anyone else or their goals.

I'm finally getting a DEXA scan done on Jan 5th so I know exactly where I am & how far I have to go.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I find that doctors here (in the UK) tend to use BMI as their main guide. Mine is 26 now and i'd be happy to get under 25, which would mean 150lbs for me.
    That's odd. My GP has never even looked up my BMI and has a chart on his wall with appropriate weightloss intakes for people of different sizes; his chart actually recommends about 2500 a day for me.

Maybe he's a bit more up to date than others though. He asks what my training plan looks like whenever I see him and has told me that exercise, especially resistance training, is woefully under-prescribed by the Medical community.
  • serenapitala
    Options
    He asks what my training plan looks like whenever I see him and has told me that exercise..is woefully under-prescribed by the Medical community.
    Mine said something similar about exercise being under-prescribed. He asked about how I was losing the weight and I explained that I am working on what I eat, but I exercise a ton to make up for it. He told me that exercise is the best determinant in health. He said to keep working on eating healthy, but that exercise as my main focus is good.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As an Advanced Nurse Practioner, I have some insight. If you are asking for help setting a goal weight, the health care provider should provide their best advice. I will say that not all health care Providers are created equal and may not have the expertise to provide the goal weight. The BMI is one way to look at weight and it is not a one size fits all. No pun intended.