wedding/ engagement rings...

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    hahaha tell me you wouldn't wear this ring:

I wouldn't. LOL, I'd be terrified to lose it (and I probably would. I'm amazed I haven't lost mine yet).

It is beautiful.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hahaha tell me you wouldn't wear this ring:

I wouldn't. LOL, I'd be terrified to lose it (and I probably would).

It is beautiful.

;) thanks mama. and that's why it's insured! i actually got a killer deal on the stone - bought it pre-set from someone else (it is GIA certified and has a quantifiable value, unlike uncertified stones or stones with unrecognized certifications) so a quick change of the mounting and it is worth double what I paid. not talking over-inflated appraisal prices either, actual wholesale value to a jeweler on the stone alone is substantially more than my cost. it pays to do your research! xoxo
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    Mine was free :). It was his Great Grandmothers. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    305650_10200171265071256_1145447201_n_zps2f2f618e.jpg

My boyfriend (now fiance) of three years recently bought this and proposed. Complete surprise, shock, and happiness. Yes it os 2 carat, which some may find too much, do I care? No. He bought it because he thought I would love it. and I do.. Would I have said yes even had it been a tiny ring with a CZ? Absolutely. I love him much more than I could ever love the ring. That being said:

I am young. 23. He is 27. We both work our *kitten* off every day. I work full time and go to school full time (graduating in May). He also works full time. He is well set into a great career where he has already moved up beyond most in his company, and is valued for his knowledge and hard work. We pay every single bill EARLY, EVERY MONTH. No bill is ever late. We never worry how we are going to pay for something. We have plenty of money in the bank so that if either of us lose our job, we will still have the funds to pay our bills for at least six months, if not more. We have money saved for a down payment on a new house in Sept when our lease is up. We both own nice vehicles and rent a very nice apartment. We have money to go out and enjoy dates and not have to worry about who is paying or where we are going.

The point is, not every YOUNG person is bad with their finances. We have money saved that WE WORKED FOR, not because anyone gave it to us. We pay our bills on time, get absolutely no assistance from anyone- and if he wants to buy me a nice ring- why can't he? why does it make us irresponsible or bad with money?
  • faithfulll1
    Options
    Pretty!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

We pay every single bill EARLY, EVERY MONTH. No bill is ever late. We never worry how we are going to pay for something. We have plenty of money in the bank so that if either of us lose our job, we will still have the funds to pay our bills for at least six months, if not more. We have money saved for a down payment on a new house in Sept when our lease is up. We both own nice vehicles and rent a very nice apartment. We have money to go out and enjoy dates and not have to worry about who is paying or where we are going.

The point is, not every YOUNG person is bad with their finances. We have money saved that WE WORKED FOR, not because anyone gave it to us. We pay our bills on time, get absolutely no assistance from anyone- and if he wants to buy me a nice ring- why can't he? why does it make us irresponsible or bad with money?

Dang, you sound like MY daughter, except that she and her husband already own a home! Congratulations! I actually think there are quite a lot of young people out there who have learned to tame their finances, and quite a lot of older people who still haven't learned that.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call mine flashy but it is big. A green sapphire set with small diamonds around it. However it was certainly not something I insisted on. Don't know the carats or its value and don't wish to know, that means very little to me.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    8C362169-04E3-400A-9614-B046C1D545E3-7398-0000073FBBCEA247_zps9c5d3d53.jpg
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love seeing ring pictures. They all are beautiful!

Here is mine, set in platinum. I have a big hand.

20121229_090818.jpg
  • stephsteph76
    stephsteph76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I believe the guy should have all the input on the ring. He can spend however much he wants. The idea that a guy wants to spend the rest of his life with you is way more important to me then how much the ring costs. I am recently got married and to me my ring is too flashy for me but I am not going to tell my husband that!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    rings-2.jpg

That's my engagement ring, wedding band and anniversary band. You can't see the wedding band because it's thin and inbetween the two. They are all soldered together.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    To each their own, I say. I just got engaged on the 16th, and my wonderful fiance presented me with a gorgeous ring that was well within the budget. It's not a typical ring, sort of antique looking and the main stone is .25 carat. I am going to wear this through my engagement, and I am going to have an heirloom ring (my Mom's) as my ring when we are married (and that's a very nice piece of jewelry, my Dad did good. lol). The sentimental value outweighs monetary value. My husband to be will put that on my hand the way my Dad did for my Mom. Amazing. I cannot wait!
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have the money and that's what you choose to spend it on, good for you.

But it does drive me a little crazy to see so many couples living in council housing (ie rent-free, or very very low rent) who have a downpayment on a house, or three years' rent, sitting on their finger. You see a lot of that in my neighborhood. I can think of at least a dozen women that I personally know who wear £5000-15,000 rings but can't afford to pay rent.

I don't mean to sound like I'm down on the benefits system, or that I think everyone who collects social security is cheating the system. I don't. I think income support and the like are good things to have for people with low incomes who need the money for food and bills and education and other necessities. I do not think that wedding rings and weddings come under necessities.

Ehh. Even people who don't claim benefits, but live with their parents because they can't afford both a home and an expensive wedding are beyond my comprehension, but if you're happy and your folks are happy, do what you will.

Basically, I think people should live within their means. If your / your partner's salary allows you to spend a lot of money on an engagement ring, and you really want an expensive one, then have it and enjoy it. (Although please refrain from telling everyone you meet how much it cost before they even ask - that's just annoying.) If your salary doesn't allow for it, and you absolutely HAVE to have an expensive ring? Either suck it up and find something you can afford, or work your butt off to make the money.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My ring is the one my dad placed on my mom's finger 45 years ago. I can't tell you the size of the stone and I don't care. It's the family history behind it.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I never wear jewellery so I doubt I could even make myself wear a ring everyday, haha. Also, my fingers are size 12/13 so my boyfriend would probably have to propose with an onion ring.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Of course, I'm probably prejudiced here. I can't wear rings. Arthritis in the hands. Although if someone buys me a nice silver ring, I sometimes put it on my charm bracelet. :) I would dearly like to be able to wear one on my finger, but it appears that this is not to be.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It is indeed absurd.
    People have totally misplaced values which is why our whole nation is in this dreadful financial condition.
    What we need is a horrible depression to toughen us up.
    There is nothing better for character building than hard times.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't really care much about what other people do, but I can see the OP's point to a degree. I got married four years ago (second marriage) and I was somewhat appalled by some of the things I saw and heard on the wedding board where I posted. It did indeed seem that several of those girls were interested in the wedding, not the marriage. One girl complained constantly about how her fiance worked too much and how it cut into their time together - but never once did she consider scaling back their $50k wedding that they were paying for.

And frankly, I do recall seeing some of the rings that these girls had and wondering how they could afford them - some of these couples were barely out of college and struggling to make ends meet, but were sporting $5k and better rings.These were the same girls complaining that their electricity got cut off, or how they had to borrow money from their parents to buy groceries, most of the time.

It's really no one's business about other people's financial outlook, but it does raise eyebrows when someone is spending thousands on weddings and/or rings while complaining they can't afford the day to day bills. Having been through some pretty tough financial times myself (sometimes of my own doing, more recently due to other "influences") I can empathize with folks who have money issues, but it is difficult to empathize when someone is wearing a $5k diamond ring, driving a brand new $40k car, and getting weekly mani/pedis, all while claiming they can't afford to pay their water bill (and yes, I know someone who does that).

It's not a generalization, because I don't think it applies to "everyone" in a certain age group, or everyone in any group - but I do believe that for some people, the appearance of having money, and how that affects their wedding plans, is much more important than the marriage. And that is something that transcends age - a lot of people get caught up in "keeping up with the Jones's."
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Weddings should be cheap, the divorce should cost about 40k, there would be a lot less of them. NOT that sometimes divorce isn't warrented or needed. I just think sometimes it's the easy way out. And again I said sometimes, NOT all the time.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My ring is the most beautiful thing I've ever owned. I still smile every time I look at it. Who's to say what is and what isn't a reasonable way for someone else to spend their money?