Views on Whole Food Plant based diet?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Plant based diet - not for me.

But if it covers all of the micro and macro nutrient bases and deliverers the calorie content to be a healthy diet - go for it.

There is not one diet out there that will suit everyone, so find what works best for you and stick with it.
  • sukatglf
    sukatglf Posts: 2
    Options
    I became a vegan in May 2012 after my doctor gave me a copy of Forks over Knives. Within 4 week, I was off my statin and had reduced my BP dosage by 75%. My cholesterol dropped to ~110 without the medication. Getting enough protein is not easy on plant-based diets. Upon my doctor's advice, I have added fatty fishes (salmon, tuna, mackerel) and take fish oil, plant sterols, and niacin. With my family history and health trajectory, I was looking at an ugly, premature ending to life. Now, I expect to be old and cantankerous for several decades.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I eat a plant based diet. I feel great on it. Although I am not as thin as I want to be, I blame that on my love for fruits, sweets and more often than I should, I eat processed vegan food like tofu dogs and burgers.
    Add me if you want to! I can always use help! I have ten pounds to lose. I recently had radioactive iodine treatment for graves disease and hyperthyroidism, so as I go hypo, I find I am having a hard time not gaining weight.
    Good luck to all!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel like wading through a bunch of arguments about not getting enough protein on a plant-based diet, so I hope I"m not repeating anybody.

Don't worry about what anybody has to say about protein/ nutrition/ deficiencies, etc... Just eat real food.

Now that's a pretty difficult thing to do today, so don't beat yourself up if you're not eating real food all the time right away. Take it one day at a time.... take one day and say, "no meat today." and try something new, just for kicks. Experiment, and make stuff from scratch. There's so much more than tacos, pizzas and hamburgers in the world!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    There is NO PLANT that tastes like steak or BACON.

whew! what a relief!