What is the worst comment you ever got about your weight?

Options

Replies

• texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Some asked me when I was due -- this happened to me multiple times because I carry my weight in my stomach.

I truly believe that it is NOT okay to ask a woman when she is due unless you know for a complete fact that she is pregnant1!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Some asked me when I was due -- this happened to me multiple times because I carry my weight in my stomach.

I truly believe that it is NOT okay to ask a woman when she is due unless you know for a complete fact that she is pregnant1!

I wouldn't ask a woman if she was pregnant, if her water broke right in front of me.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options

• ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

I think it would be different if it was worded different, its implying that we are currently ugly. Which I don't believe is true. and yes I think others would find me more attractive if I lost all my weight, but being fat doesn't make you ugly. Also not everyone can turn hurtful things into motivation, sometimes it breaks us down.

I see it as they're implying that you're already attractive at the weight you're at and just dropping to a more "healthy" level would make you even more attractive. It doesn't have anything to do, imo, with being fat making you ugly...if that were the case they'd never tell you that you'd look better if you dropped some weight. I mean if you realize you're overweight already...someone telling you that you'd look better lighter really isn't surprising you with the fact that you're overweight. Now if you're delusional and think you're "slim" when you're really obese and someone says that...then I can see it coming off hurtful.

I get what you're saying, and it's valid. But I think different people interpret words in different ways, it's just something I hate hearing esp. from a parent. Used to make me feel like *kitten*, and I had no illusions about my weight, I knew when I got fat and I was aware when I added on. But when my dad told me that, it was the first time I felt ugly. But like I said rolls off now, and I'm slowly getting healthier so yay.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options

This is so true ... if you don't know don't ask
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was around 10 or so she kept making comments like "mommy you're so fat". I just kept telling her that every time she said that she hurt my feelings. She doesn't say it anymore.

My sister would say "when you lose weight ...." UGH!

ETA: When I was working at a restaurant as a hostess, one of the women (there were two) asked me how the baby was. I told her I wasn't pregnant. And I told her no that was (there was another girl that was pregnant). She was adamant it was me. Then she looked down at my stomach and shut up.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options

I think it would be different if it was worded different, its implying that we are currently ugly. Which I don't believe is true. and yes I think others would find me more attractive if I lost all my weight, but being fat doesn't make you ugly. Also not everyone can turn hurtful things into motivation, sometimes it breaks us down.

I see it as they're implying that you're already attractive at the weight you're at and just dropping to a more "healthy" level would make you even more attractive. It doesn't have anything to do, imo, with being fat making you ugly...if that were the case they'd never tell you that you'd look better if you dropped some weight. I mean if you realize you're overweight already...someone telling you that you'd look better lighter really isn't surprising you with the fact that you're overweight. Now if you're delusional and think you're "slim" when you're really obese and someone says that...then I can see it coming off hurtful.

I get what you're saying, and it's valid. But I think different people interpret words in different ways, it's just something I hate hearing esp. from a parent. Used to make me feel like ****, and I had no illusions about my weight, I knew when I got fat and I was aware when I added on. But when my dad told me that, it was the first time I felt ugly. But like I said rolls off now, and I'm slowly getting healthier so yay.

I have to comment here .. what if it was something you couldn't change like your nose .. like if someone said you would be prettier if you had a smaller nose.. it doesnt matter what someone is talking about you never want to hear you could look better and or be prettier it hurts no matter if it is true or not or how they word it
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I get what you're saying, and it's valid. But I think different people interpret words in different ways, it's just something I hate hearing esp. from a parent. Used to make me feel like *kitten*, and I had no illusions about my weight, I knew when I got fat and I was aware when I added on. But when my dad told me that, it was the first time I felt ugly. But like I said rolls off now, and I'm slowly getting healthier so yay.

I hear what you're saying. Keep up the good work!
  • vice350z
    Options

I have to comment here .. what if it was something you couldn't change like your nose .. like if someone said you would be prettier if you had a smaller nose.. it doesnt matter what someone is talking about you never want to hear you could look better and or be prettier it hurts no matter if it is true or not or how they word it

I don't want to totally drive this topic off track...but just want to reply. Yes, when it comes down to it, you don't really want to hear "hey, you'd look a lot better if you weren't so fat"...but at least with weight you can do something about it. Even with your nose you can..but of course that would cost a lot more to do and risk screwing something up.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant, but still...
    I was going to get some pizza, and the pizza guy asked me when I was due. I told him, and he asked if it was just one. I laughed, and said, "Yeah, just one,"
    He gave me a look of disgust and disbelief as he handed me my pizza and said, "Wow. You look like you're carrying twins."
    I should have thrown the pizza at his face, but I didn't think about it until later.
    I walked away, could hardly eat the stupid pizza and cried when I got home.

I've been there with you. When I was pregnant I got asked if I was carrying only one... and also am I sure I was due in 3 months, because I looked ready to pop. Well that was not what you wanted to hear bc i had 3 more months to go! GRRR
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    That I must have been a really busy mom because I didn't have time for me. Made me feel awful. Then the you don't look so bad....you've had kids. I hate that one. I want to look good, period.

When I was younger, I just got told that I was lucky because I was smart. Not sure if that "compliment" was to offset my chubbiness or my ugly.
  • astrong74
    Options
    Sometimes....the worst comments are the ones not said....being rejected by guys hurts:(
  • TKOhYeah
    Options
    About 10-15 years ago, a woman I know asked me when my baby was due. I was not pregnant.

I ran into someone from high school and she asked me the same thing. I said 3 yrs ago as I hugged my little boy and walked away.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband told me I was so disgusting that touching me made him vomit.

Your EX-husband, right? My goodness.
  • vice350z
    Options
    Sometimes....the worst comments are the ones not said....being rejected by guys hurts:(

I hear ya...especially when you have a slimmer bro that usually always got the attention of women when we're out together. I'd feel like the fat funny brother.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was laying in bed with a sheet on me. My wife came and fluffed my belly because she thought it was a pillow. :cry:
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    "Well, you have a pretty face at least"..not sure how THAT is a compliment!
  • vice350z
    Options
    Oh yeah, almost forgot..my ex-wife telling me during a fight near the end of our marriage..."you'll always be fat and never find another good looking woman!"

It was the best feeling to drop 80lbs at one point and walk into her work to drop off something she left at the house when she left after the divorce. It made her upset that it took a divorce to do something about it...50lbs heavier again but we're good now and as mentioned in another thread she still cuts my hair...she's a hair dresser.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Kind of OT, but after reading stories in this thread I actually felt compelled to tell my parents tonight how thankful I was that they never made hurtful comments about my weight or appearance when I was younger.

After I said that, my mom relayed a neat story to me. She said she was discussing the same thing with my dad the other day and he said something along the lines of "Why would I say something hurtful about your weight? I didn't marry your weight!" Go Dad!

There are men out there who won't be cruel about your body like some of the losers I have read about on this thread. Don't put up with it!

*steps off of soap box, goes back into shadowy cave*

Your dad is win.
    christianbalehorns.gif
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    that i was a fat pig