How often do you eat at Subway

Options

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Never. Subway is terrible. Worked there for three years, and ate it pretty much exclusively during that time (free food, and I was in college). Can't stand the smell now.

Instead I eat a Publix sub for lunch each day, and every now and then I'll get one from Jersey Mike's (best subs), or Firehouse Subs.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Never. Subway is terrible. Worked there for three years, and ate it pretty much exclusively during that time (free food, and I was in college). Can't stand the smell now.

Instead I eat a Publix sub for lunch each day, and every now and then I'll get one from Jersey Mike's (best subs), or Firehouse Subs.
    Jersey Mike's - great food!
    They have a location down in Tampa, and I still remember that place.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat there twice a month at least. There is one close to my house too. I usually get the same. Six-inch turkey. It hasn't interfered with my weight loss at all. It is one of the healthier options in fast food.
  • christy180
    Options
    Processed meats and filled with nitrates and forms of MSG... Yum!
    Did you know they have to add the color to banana peppers and olives? In what world do you have to add color to a vegetable?
    Bread is supposed to have like 5 ingredients, but at Subway you get a whopping 50 INGREDIENTS!!

I'm just saying.

They're motto is "Subway: Eat Fresh" but it really should be "Subway: Eat Trash".
  • patmegkaren
    patmegkaren Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find that Subway is a great alternative to fast food without blowing your diet. I love the double chicken chopped salad, they are amazing. Of coure, my favorite is meatball but that is a no-no. Buffalo chicken is also low and very good , I like the flatbreads.:flowerforyou:
  • sfic1
    sfic1 Posts: 31
    Options
    I like subways. I eat it 2-3x a mth . Grilled chicken on wheat no cheese. With all veg. No dressing. Very Gd protein.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Did you know they have to add the color to banana peppers and olives? In what world do you have to add color to a vegetable?
    Bread is supposed to have like 5 ingredients, but at Subway you get a whopping 50 INGREDIENTS!!

I'm just saying.

They're motto is "Subway: Eat Fresh" but it really should be "Subway: Eat Trash".

Meats I agree with... But I don`t eat meat so it`s not an issue. However, you buy deli meats in the store and have the same issues unless you pay the higher prices for the nitrate free alteratives.

Have you checked the labels of any jarred banana peppers or olives? I bet you would see artificial colouring.

Checked the label of bread lately? More than 5 ingredients. If you make the bread yourself most of the time there is more than 5 ingredients.

I realize everyone has their own opinions however I'm not sure why so many people think it's such a terrible place to eat. I'm sure these people are eating much worse if they opened their food diaries. Pita Pit while a great place to go is more expensive and filled with the same stuff that Subway would use.

Sure, there is a lot of sodium in the foods... there is sodium in everything. Buy the stuff to make a sub at home? You will be loading it with sodium and the same sort of "crap" from Subway.

Subway can be a very healthy place to eat, you just need to be careful with what you order. Sure, ordering a double meat and cheese sub isn't healthy. I order a veggie sub when I go. A little bit of grated cheese, tons of veggies, pepper and no sauce... that makes a pretty healthy lunch or dinner.

I'm not sure if the US is different however here each location is owned by different people and are run differently. Some locations won't go into. There are a few I will frequent as I know how they prepare the foods, clean the restaurant, etc.
  • atvfanatics1
    Options
    Probably 3-4 times a month. There are times when you are busy, traveling or just can't cook at home and a fast food joint is convenient. Subway is my choice and their calorie counter on their website helps to be sure you stay within the levels that work for you. We must have a well kept, clean and sanitary Subway cause I've never experienced some of these negative comments. :laugh:
  • armorflamemusicman
    Options
    I eat there maybe twice a month or so. Maybe it's true you could make a healthier sandwich at home for less money, but I guess it really depends on the circumstances at the moment. Subway is better for you than other fast food (no doubt about it). I'm a fan of the buffalo chicken, but will probably switch to turkey or tuna once I get back on track from the holiday food.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    DH and I just shared a tuna sub from there yesterday. We usually have it a couple of times a month. I agree that if you don't have a sodium issue and eat within your calories you can easily fit it into your diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I'm just saying.

Meats I agree with... But I don`t eat meat so it`s not an issue. However, you buy deli meats in the store and have the same issues unless you pay the higher prices for the nitrate free alteratives.

Have you checked the labels of any jarred banana peppers or olives? I bet you would see artificial colouring.

Checked the label of bread lately? More than 5 ingredients. If you make the bread yourself most of the time there is more than 5 ingredients.

I realize everyone has their own opinions however I'm not sure why so many people think it's such a terrible place to eat. I'm sure these people are eating much worse if they opened their food diaries. Pita Pit while a great place to go is more expensive and filled with the same stuff that Subway would use.

Sure, there is a lot of sodium in the foods... there is sodium in everything. Buy the stuff to make a sub at home? You will be loading it with sodium and the same sort of "crap" from Subway.

Subway can be a very healthy place to eat, you just need to be careful with what you order. Sure, ordering a double meat and cheese sub isn't healthy. I order a veggie sub when I go. A little bit of grated cheese, tons of veggies, pepper and no sauce... that makes a pretty healthy lunch or dinner.

I'm not sure if the US is different however here each location is owned by different people and are run differently. Some locations won't go into. There are a few I will frequent as I know how they prepare the foods, clean the restaurant, etc.
    For the record, most meat has a form of MSG in it, MSG is monosodium glutamate, and glutamate is an amino acid found in just about all protein sources (it's particularly common in vegetarian protein, in fact, it was first "discovered" in nori.)

And anyway, my decision to not eat at Subway has nothing to do with the quality of my diet, I just have much better sandwich options available. Al local deli will always make better quality sandwiches than a Subway, but since you want to generalize everybody...

My "barbecue turkey sandwich" that I usually make at home for lunch has 380 calories, 42 grams of carbs, 6 grams of fiber, 42 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 600mg of sodium. Compared to a 6" turkey from Subway that has 280 calories, 46 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber, only 18 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat, and 810 mg of protein.

I'd say mine is a much better choice, more fiber, way more protein, more fiber, less sodium.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I eat it maybe once every couple of months? Probably 2x/month in the summer because we stop there on the way home from the beach sometimes. I like their veggie flat breads with pepper jack cheese.

I eat fast food once a week or so and honestly, it's usually something like Wendy's or Chic Fil A... mmmmm
  • Neequie
    Options
    NEVER and have no intention of starting! It may be a healthier option than most fast food, however the meat is loaded with nitrates and are one of the most used cancer causing agents in the U.S. YUCK!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Once in the past year, because we were out of town, somewhat lost and hungry.
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat there once or twice a week
    it's about 3 miles from my house so I run down there and then run back after c: and usually run extra on the 3 miles both ways
  • OliLloyd
    OliLloyd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK, Subway as a novelty alternative to making your own sandwiches, is not expensive at all. You can currently pick up a 6 inch Sub, with some form of drink, for £1.99 on some days. I don't go often, mainly because I don't eat much bread anymore, but it is by no means unhealthy OR expensive so long as you pick the right sandwich and day to go.

Personally, if I do go, it's very very rarely, so I would go all out and get some form of 12 inch beast with cheese and warm meat on it.

Wow.. that sounded interesting./=
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Subway is so yucky. It smells so weird, there's no way that's a natural smell for a sandwich shop!
  • beachpoodles
    beachpoodles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This thread is ridiculous. This is why I avoid F&N topics like the plague. People believe in so much false information that they make losing weight a losing proposition. They make it so difficult that people give up after a few weeks. Sodium doesn't make you fat. Processed food doesn't make you fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Stay under calories and hit your macros. it's so damn easy.

Was going to reply, but you said it perfectly. People who replied about Subway being bad, probably eat at McDonald's instead. What gives?

Yes I eat there a couple times a week, usually the english muffin and egg whites with cheese. The first couple months on MFP I utilized Subway A LOT - it helped me track my intake as well I took advantage of all the veggie options and my sodium intake is also in check......and I've lost weight - win win to me.

As far as price....I think they are reasonable especially for some of us on the go, out of town for work etc. Great option actually.
  • ShaunShaunphenomenon
    Options
    I eat there if I'm out and about, I enjoy it only because I don't have to feel like I just picked up butter after I ate it. I had it last night and that will be it for this week (girlfriend loves it) so if she goes, I have to go.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I eat there every so often. But if you get anything other than lettuce and tomatoes you're looking at an almost 600 calorie 6 inch. On subway's website you can select the sandwich you purchased and click "create your own". You can add the ingredients and it gives you the exact amount of calories and nutrition info. Then you can turn around and add it into MFP. Whenever I have searched for my sandwich on here the right cal amount isn't on here so I had to manually add my own.