what do you call these people?

Options

Replies

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, why go to the gym if not to drip sweat? The price of membership, gas to get there, and time devoted makes me want to put in effort.

But then again I don't really bother myself with what others do, I am mostly there to push myself.

It's just a pet peeve. The only occasional, practical downside is when they consume equipment that is in short supply. I'm patient, I am not rude and I wait my turn. But man, cmon. Geez. Fo real. WTF. He's just sitting there messing with his phone, and adjusting the seat back and forth. :sad:

I get you. If someone was leisurely walking on a treadmill/spin bike etc for an hour and texting while I was waiting I would be angry also.
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Like someone mentioned; a lot of people are just going through the motions. My gf told me that she hates being at the gym but "feels good about herself afferwards". I can't work out with her or even watch her because she doesn't really push herself either. These people aren't really after progress but want to feel good knowing that they "worked out today" and feel guilty if they don't go. The quality of the workout doesn't make a difference to them as long as they can tell themselves and their friends that they worked out. Those same people will accuse you of steroid use if you're making progress and they're not or blame genetics. Of course, some people are also there to socialize.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You need to accept the reality that most people are just going through motions.
    Forget them; they do not matter.
    All that matters in the gym is you. If everybody suddenly exploded in a shower of sparks and flying red meat, you don't even miss a set.
    They're nothing - the people are unreal. Without body. They are illusions only. Shadows without substance. They do not exist.
    Nothing but ghosts of reality. They are lies. Falsehoods. Spectres without body.

They are to be ignored.

I like the way you think. Very Ghost In The Shell.
    Yes, it sure beats being distracted by gym rats.
    In life we need to pick our battles.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I shall call them "peacocks." They're there to see and be seen. And get in everyone's way...and yap in our ears...and smell god awful while they do it.

It's half the reason I invested in some decent videos and equipment and vowed never to set foot in a gym again. Good riddance, peacocks.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I had a similar experience at the gym Saturday night. I was sweating my *kitten* off and doing intervals on the treadmill in the ladies area, and there were these two young chicklings (couldn't be more than 18 or 19 years old). They were laying on the floor facing each other on on workout mats texting/facebooking and showing each other pictures. I was there for over an hour and they hadn't done a damn thing.

This isn't a slumber party, baby girls! If you're at the gym, move your *kitten*! If you're going to do stupid stuff like that take it into the lounge area.

This is all I'm saying. Just do something! I'm gonna work myself up into a tizzy. :drinker:
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Haha, I so understand what you are saying. This one girl in particular pisses me right off. Now, I have talked to her and I know she is a healthy young woman, so I know she can push herself (even just a little). She walks at 2 miles/hour if that, and then she "works out" for half half an hour. And by "work out" I mean she stands in front of the mirror and flops her arms around and looks at herself at different angles. If stretching is your thing, fine...but she isn't even stretching, she's just watching herself in the mirror. Thanks for the vent!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just stop watching other people at the gym. Keep your focus on your own workout. OR Have some compassion. Not everyone is capable of a heavy, sweat puddle creating, work out. Some people don't really know what to do or how to plan a workout so they fiddle around and hopefully watch and learn. For some people it is a sort of social outing. IMO any activity beyond lying on the couch is a good thing. :flowerforyou:
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Hey I did say upfront this is a jerk of a topic. You don't like it, don't post!

Exactly, totally agree :smile:
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I shall call them "peacocks." They're there to see and be seen. And get in everyone's way...and yap in our ears...and smell god awful while they do it.

It's half the reason I invested in some decent videos and equipment and vowed never to set foot in a gym again. Good riddance, peacocks.

Peacocks, good name. Thank you. I was wondering if they might have a name, something that is a counterpoint to the term 'gymrat' perhaps. :bigsmile:
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    They're probably doing the same as you. "people watching'
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Clueless? Bored? Injured? Recovering? Not committed? There are lots of name for these people.

I think you should try going up to one of them next time and asking what they would like their fellow gym-goers to label them as :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just stop watching other people at the gym. Keep your focus on your own workout.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

What are all these people doing? Some days I feel like yelling at the whole gym. :wink:

Probably taking pictures of you sweating and putting them up on Facebook
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Just stop watching other people at the gym. Keep your focus on your own workout.

I don't watch other people. I do focus. But they are numerous and using (or not using) the equipment. Nuff said!

And I'm not counting the injured or the recovering. I can tell when someone has a leg injury and is using the leg press machine in a specific way as likely prescribed by their doctor. Those are good people doing good work! :wink:
  • RECowgill
    Options

What are all these people doing? Some days I feel like yelling at the whole gym. :wink:

Probably taking pictures of you sweating and putting them up on Facebook

That would be funny. I don't have any pics of the megatons of flopsweat slimily drooling and dripping off my fat pasty carcass as I ought to and I would like to have some, please.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasons why people do what they do. Maybe they aren't educated on fitness. Maybe they do some other kind of serious fitness, but like to lift some weights as well, but don't want to over train. Maybe it's their rest day, but they still like to do something small. Maybe they are in a maintenance break phase for whatever reason, where they don't want to lose their fitness but are also not trying to progress (it's smarter than giving up). Maybe they thought they were going to work out then changed their mind. Maybe they have an injury.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well me too because many of them look great in leggings.
    [/quote]

Not at my gym! They are the people that DON'T look good in leggings and no amount of so-slow-their-legs-barely-move action on the stationary bike is going to fix THAT.

No, I can't see the point in going to the gym and not working hard. But then, I am a busy person and don't have much time, so when I work out, I tend to get the job done. Maybe if I was bored with nothing to do and just needed a change of scenery, I might go to to gym? But probably not, I would shop! Lol
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying. . is that people DO notice and judge me when I only work out for 30 minutes and don't drench myself in sweat?.

That sucks.

Oh well. . when you have a full time job and a full time kid and a household to maintain and have to give up cooking dinner for your kid to get in a workout. . well. . sometimes you just can't spend three hours. .
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well, let me think. Girls go through the motions and try to get the eye of nice fit guys. Guys go through the motions and try to the the attention of girls preferably fit, (but at least not fat). Its more of a social thing than a workout.

Some of us are gradually working up to killer workouts (I'm 60 with health issues for goodness sake - it may take while to get there and until then, its wimp weights for me). I also did wimp weights when I was much younger but coming off a rotator cuff tear....

In my experience, not all gyms are created equal. Look around at some others in your area and you may be able to spot the serious workout spaces as opposed to the lightly disguised meat markets. If you don't have the choice may I suggest internal chuckles at the nymphettes and wannabe satyrs around you while you build some genuine muscle of your own.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I get so angry at those people!! Lol. I just get really pissed at anyone who doesnt take their workout seriously! I see girls alllll the time, with one friend, go on the treadmill and walk and talk, or on the elliptical and everything. PISSES ME OFF. Mainly because i think, that they think their ganna lose weight that easily...... Or i hate when people are texting constantly while at the gym..... AND once in a while i see heavier set girls doing cardio, taking it seriously... and i just want to go up to them that they are wasting their time and to go lift weights!!!

Lol, sorry for the rant, i just had to get it out.

:)