what do you call these people?

Options

Replies

• _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you care what the other people are doing at the gym. You are there for you.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Well, let me think. Girls go through the motions and try to get the eye of nice fit guys. Guys go through the motions and try to the the attention of girls preferably fit, (but at least not fat). Its more of a social thing than a workout.

Some of us are gradually working up to killer workouts (I'm 60 with health issues for goodness sake - it may take while to get there and until then, its wimp weights for me). I also did wimp weights when I was much younger but coming off a rotator cuff tear....

In my experience, not all gyms are created equal. Look around at some others in your area and you may be able to spot the serious workout spaces as opposed to the lightly disguised meat markets. If you don't have the choice may I suggest internal chuckles at the nymphettes and wannabe satyrs around you while you build some genuine muscle of your own.

LOL. You made me genuinely laugh, thank you. Hey I have my fair share of wimp weights. I actually hadn't considered the meat market angle, I'm pretty dense. =)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You should go to a gym in Japan. Everyone's color coordinated, nobody sweats, and everyone has on a weight belt, even the guy on the elliptical.

*scribbles on bucket list* Go to Japanese gym!
    I would like to see that. I see some random things at the Y that makes me wonder about gym etiquette in other countries. One lady that does a lot of arm twirling motions while walking the track, some Asian ladies that do a lot A LOT of vigorous scrubbing on themselves AND each other in the showers, and it looked like one lady was giving another a perm! What? Oh and imagine my surprise when one came up behind me when I was getting dressed and she fastened my bra. Thanks, but I dress myself all the time.

Believe it or not, the gyms in Japan aren't like what you are thinking. They are just really polite people on a whole. I hope one day you can go experience it because it is pretty interesting. Wish I could go back and live there again :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I applaud your post on the basis that you used the word "pernicious" if absolutely nothing else.

I was thinking the exact same thing.:flowerforyou:
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I get so angry at those people!! Lol. I just get really pissed at anyone who doesnt take their workout seriously! I see girls alllll the time, with one friend, go on the treadmill and walk and talk, or on the elliptical and everything. PISSES ME OFF. Mainly because i think, that they think their ganna lose weight that easily...... Or i hate when people are texting constantly while at the gym..... AND once in a while i see heavier set girls doing cardio, taking it seriously... and i just want to go up to them that they are wasting their time and to go lift weights!!!

Lol, sorry for the rant, i just had to get it out.

:)

I feel your anger!!!! Now, go lift something heavy. :explode:
  • intrepidity
    Options
    I agree bro. You've read my profile. I believe in going hard consistently. But like anything in life you get out what you put in. This is why I don't go to gyms. I do Crossfit and workout at my home. Most crossfiters go hard. But yea its annoying.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fu ckarounditis.html (get rid of the spaces)

Pretty much sums it up.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I really don't care what other people do at the gym unless they are on my favorite machine. Those people get the evil eye.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    But, seriously if watching people **** around at the gym makes you feel all angry like that, you need to find a way to chill.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Speaking of crowded gyms, today something odd happened. There were 4 benches in a formation like this:

I I
    I I

Then a staff member asked me to please get up so he could move the bench. Then it looked like:

I I
    x I
    I

(The x marks an empty spot. I just couldn't get the keys to line up correctly.)

Keep in mind the dude next to me was on a rest break but he didn't move his. There was nothing obvious on my side that wasn't on the side of the person behind me. What gives?

I'll take your weak sauce people any day if you can explain why the heck that happened.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You need to accept the reality that most people are just going through motions.
    Forget them; they do not matter.
    All that matters in the gym is you. If everybody suddenly exploded in a shower of sparks and flying red meat, you don't even miss a set.
    They're nothing - the people are unreal. Without body. They are illusions only. Shadows without substance. They do not exist.
    Nothing but ghosts of reality. They are lies. Falsehoods. Spectres without body.

They are to be ignored.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. Total horse-pucky!

Years ago I didn't know what I was doing in the gym...so I guess I was a lie, a falsehood...to be ignored. Well, I'm glad I wasn't ignored. I'm glad someone took notice of me and helped me out. Now I look for people struggling and strike up a conversation. If they have a question, they ask. It's called paying-it-forward.

I dare you to try it some time. You might just be surprised at these nobodies....
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Personally it's their membership why do they need to do what is acceptable to you. You dont know what their situation is. They could be thinking the same thing or worse about you. This kind of attitude is why a lot of people stay away from the gym. Work on yourself and leave other people to themselves.
    [/quote

This plus one million
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nice to know what people think of my noob pansy *kitten* trying to figure out what works for me :tongue:

I don't sit for long on any of those machines, but i try to do as heavy as i can do to get several reps in. And I walk at a high incline as fast as i can at this point in time cause I don't care for running...unless someone is chasing me with a chainsaw and i have a beer waiting for me at the finish line. Oh and Ii do meet up with a friend at the gym once a week and we walk and talk, but we are both drenched with sweat by the time its said and done (and this is the only time we can meet up to chit chat with our kids schedules anymore).
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me laugh. You saying "don't post if you don't like" is just silly-talk. Everyone has an opinion, you posted yours, expect to get negative feedback. It's just how it is, brah. My take on this is really attempt to just mind your own business and focus on yourself. If someone is there in the gym, they paid to be in there, wasting their own time/money/gas on what they want to do.

Also, have you ever thought that maybe they are new to working out? Or that maybe they seem to be alright on the outside, but they could have some kind of medical reason that isn't obvious to everyone else for why they can't be drenched in sweat after they are all done? Why do you feel the need to judge people just because they cannot pick things up and put them down like you do, when you really have no idea what their story is? I can understand if people are fiddling around on their phones while on a machine for a while, that could be an understandable pet peeve, but otherwise, c'mon man..
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Go do yoga! Mellows you out and I never notice any of my fellow yogis/yoginis not giving it their all...but, since yoga involves moving meditation and listening to your body and what it needs at the moment, lying in corpse pose for an hour is truly part of the practice, if you chose to do it :smile:

But...when I am at the gym, I go all out till I hurt :drinker:
  • RECowgill
    Options
    This topic makes me laugh. You saying "don't post if you don't like" is just silly-talk. Everyone has an opinion, you posted yours, expect to get negative feedback. It's just how it is, brah. My take on this is really attempt to just mind your own business and focus on yourself. If someone is there in the gym, they paid to be in there, wasting their own time/money/gas on what they want to do.

Also, have you ever thought that maybe they are new to working out? Or that maybe they seem to be alright on the outside, but they could have some kind of medical reason that isn't obvious to everyone else for why they can't be drenched in sweat after they are all done? Why do you feel the need to judge people just because they cannot pick things up and put them down like you do, when you really have no idea what their story is? I can understand if people are fiddling around on their phones while on a machine for a while, that could be an understandable pet peeve, but otherwise, c'mon man..

You didn't read the other posts. :drinker:
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Duh I go to the gym to look pretty and post sexy workout pictures on Facebook ;)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I call them none of your damm business! LOL. They pay membership fees, probably never signed a contract that said "Go hard or go home".

But yeah, I would call them people with F*ckarounditis, like Dope posted.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Nice to know what people think of my noob pansy *kitten* trying to figure out what works for me :tongue:

I don't sit for long on any of those machines, but i try to do as heavy as i can do to get several reps in. And I walk at a high incline as fast as i can at this point in time cause I don't care for running...unless someone is chasing me with a chainsaw and i have a beer waiting for me at the finish line. Oh and Ii do meet up with a friend at the gym once a week and we walk and talk, but we are both drenched with sweat by the time its said and done (and this is the only time we can meet up to chit chat with our kids schedules anymore).

Actually this is not about new people. This is about people who consume precious gym resources while not being serious with their efforts. They are not injured and they are not on special recovery routines. I don't know what you call them. Someone else said 'peacocks'. That sounds fine to me. You don't seem like a peacock. :happy:

I love new people who put in the work! Any... work... really...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Some people (like me) have bad backs, arthritis, heart problems, etc.