going vegetarian in 2013

Options

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my daughter (7) has expressed moral objection to eating meat and sometimes claims to be vegetarian for that meal or day.
    I'm trying not to make a big deal about it, but she needs to be eating other protein like eggs or beans that meal.
    and I've told her this and she has to be more careful about eating healthy.
    she likes almost any fruit or veggie and many other healthy foods, but she also still likes to eat meat sometimes too.
    I suspected she would feel this way. she is very like my youngest sister in personality and body type.
    (she doesn't see her aunt often, she isn't copying her)
    But my parents made it a big deal that she had to eat meat and it became a battle making her control over food issues worse.
    so I want to avoid that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

There are recalls on a lot of things - remember the e. coli ones for spinach?

Spinach doesn't poop on itself.

The argument, if you didn't realize, is that food preparation is not as good as you or others here might like it to be. Over half a billion eggs recalled, hard-boiled egg salads found with disease. If you bothered looking past that slide, you would see the owner of one of the egg companies had to testify.

Sept. 22, 2010

Austin "Jack" DeCoster, the owner of Wright County Egg, told members of a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee that he was "horrified" to learn that his products might have been the cause of the salmonella-related illnesses. His farm had long lacked sophisticated technology to combat the contamination, but he said that his company's methods had evolved and that it was using modern techniques before the salmonella outbreak. During the hearing, photos of conditions on the farm were shown: dead and live mice, mounds of manure and dead chickens in a heap.

Melina Mara / The Washington Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-nations-food-recalls-anger-pain-and-death/2010/10/21/gIQAev734K_gallery.html#photo=8
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11023005

"For over 25 years eggs have been the icon for the fat, cholesterol and caloric excesses in the American diet, and the message to limit eggs to lower heart disease risk has been widely circulated. The "dietary cholesterol equals blood cholesterol" view is a standard of dietary recommendations, yet few consider whether the evidence justifies such restrictions. Over 50 years of cholesterol-feeding studies show that dietary cholesterol does have a small effect on plasma cholesterol concentrations. The 167 cholesterol feeding studies in over 3,500 subjects in the literature indicate that a 100 mg change in dietary cholesterol changes plasma total cholesterol by 2.2 mg/dL. Today we recognize that dietary effects on plasma cholesterol must be viewed from effects on the atherogenic LDL cholesterol as well as anti-atherogenic HDL cholesterol since the ratio of LDL:HDL cholesterol is a major determinant of heart disease risk. Cholesterol feeding studies demonstrate that dietary cholesterol increases both LDL and HDL cholesterol with little change in the LDL:HDL ratio. Addition of 100 mg cholesterol per day to the diet increases total cholesterol with a 1.9 mg/dL increase in LDL cholesterol and a 0.4 mg/dL increase in HDL cholesterol. On average, the LDL:HDL ratio change per 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol is from 2.60 to 2.61, which would be predicted to have little effect on heart disease risk. These data help explain the epidemiological studies showing that dietary cholesterol is not related to coronary heart disease incidence or mortality across or within populations."
    [\quote]

This study was from McNamara DJ.

Source: Egg Nutrition Center, Washington, DC 20036, USA. enc@enc-online.org

Oh, an egg promoting institution, how interesting.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11023006

"Serum cholesterol has been established as a modifiable risk factor for coronary heart disease. Experimental feeding studies show that saturated fat and cholesterol increase serum cholesterol levels; thus, dietary recommendations for lowering the risk of heart disease proscribe the intake of both substances. Recommendations have also included limits on the intake of eggs because of their high cholesterol content. In free-living populations, diet reflects a pattern of associated choices. Increases in one food may lead to changes in the consumption of other foods that may modulate disease risk. Epidemiologic data are helpful in assessing the importance of foods and nutrients in the context in which they are actually consumed. We review epidemiologic data relating dietary cholesterol and eggs to coronary disease risk. Cholesterol intake was associated with a modest increase in the risk of coronary events. The true magnitude of the association is difficult to estimate because most studies fail to account for potential confounding by other features of the diet. When a full-range of confounding factors was considered, the association between cholesterol intake and heart disease risk was small (6% increase in risk for 200mg/1,000kcal/day difference in cholesterol intake). Several studies have examined egg intake and its relationship with coronary outcomes. All but one failed to consider the role of other potentially confounding dietary factors. When dietary confounders were considered, no association was seen between egg consumption at levels up to 1 + egg per day and the risk of coronary heart disease in non-diabetic men and women."
    [\quote]

Did you read that seriously? You are agreeing with me there. While there are factors that raise or cholesterol levels, eggs is still proven to be one of those factors that raise them. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Here, I'll quote it again: Recommendations have also included limits on the intake of eggs because of their high cholesterol content.

Going back to my first statement that eggs is not healthy, lots of things are not healthy. I even clarified it when someone said oh look, eggs kill people by saying that wasn't accurate I said, it was unhealthy. Your evidence, shows that to be the case. I never said eating eggs will kill you. So, thanks for agreeing with me.

I did not agree with you - stop trying to be cute - it is not. Neither is picking ONE study of the many I provided to attempt to make a patronizing statement about who sponsored it. You made the statement that lacto-ovo vegetarians cannot be healthy. You have done absolutely nothing do prove that. Simple as that.

I am not going to continue to derail this thread anymore with trying to bring you back to the point at hand or to discuss every little point you chose to cherry pick or interpret from a bias slant from the studies or even actually try to work out what you are saying above as the picking and choosing of your quoting is really hard to follow. I think this thread is derailed enough already and enough debate has already happened so people can make their own decisions as to whether eating eggs is fine for them.

ETA: No idea how to fix these quotes
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    [

In order to make gelatin, one must actually kill an animal. No animal dies in order for me to eat an egg. I am vegetarian not for health reasons, but because I don't want to eat dead animals, which is the reason stated by the OP. Therefore, my advice was accurate and appropriate.

I guess you didn't want to see that in order to get female chickens, the male baby chick is killed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5H9audCRQ

So, yes, you are killing animals for eggs.
    You mean you have to sacrifice a male chicken in order for a female chicken to exist? because that is what you just said.

Yes, the egg companies won't even sell the male baby chicks because there is no profit, they just kill them and throw the baby chicks away.

Here is another video, by the vegetarian society of Hawaii, a presentation dealing with eggs and dairy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOPzKc4vA
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Just found out about cheese, that most is made with an enzyme from a baby cow or pig's stomach. I have been a pescetarian since I was 10 years old. I am sooo grossed out and so sad because I love cheese. It is hard to find vegetarian anything where I live, especially cheese. I can't possibly eat it now that I know what is in it and how it is made. It is something calles rennet, and should be listed in the ingrediants. Most rennat is animal based boohooo. I wish I knew this 30 years ago. I have been sooo bothered by this since I found it out a couple days ago. blach.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    vegetarian since birth . . . and have always loved it :flowerforyou:
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and have been for 25 years.. I got lazy over the years and was eating too much pasta, pizza and sweets. I am not vegan and I also include seafood in my diet once a week. You really have to work hard to plan healthy meals. I found Amy's frozen vegetarian meals and they are amazing and low calorie.
  • Angie1366
    Options
    If you want to go veggie - then do it. As long as you don't tut and start lecturing your friends when they dig into a nice juicy steak I am sure they won't lecture you about your eating habits.

And I am saying that because I have 2 veggie friends... One who just gets on with it - and another who lays on the old "eugh.. how can you eat that - it was living and breathing.. eugh eugh..."

I do not see the latter very often any more...

By the way did you know beer is filtered using a byproduct from fish?
  • CharlieGumkeb
    Options
    Many things contain animal byproduct. These include plastic bags, tires, certain types of glue, toothpaste, fireworks, fabric softener, shampoo/conditioner, and more. I would really recomend looking into "Vegan" options of these products. I'm also going vegetarian this year, but am weaning myself off of meat. Only eating it 3 days a week for now, and then when I feel ready to move on, I will. Does anyone have tips/tricks for going vegetarian?
  • mochablend
    mochablend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My friend's niece became vegetarian after viewing a documentary... Except she only eats French fries and macaroni & cheese... Yikes! Not very healthy, I'm afraid. But really, anybody can have a unhealthy diet if they are not careful. I am vegetarian but now that I work crazy hours I noticed that there's way too much carbs in my diet, so I need to be more careful.
  • mochablend
    mochablend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It is true about beer, but also wine because it uses gelatin... That would only concern a vegan who refuses any animal product like honey and such. Vegetarians are rarely that strict.

There are vegan wines though because some people like me are allergic to meat and we want a good time, too!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you want to go veggie - then do it. As long as you don't tut and start lecturing your friends when they dig into a nice juicy steak I am sure they won't lecture you about your eating habits.

And I am saying that because I have 2 veggie friends... One who just gets on with it - and another who lays on the old "eugh.. how can you eat that - it was living and breathing.. eugh eugh..."

My long-time meat-eating friends always order vegetarian food when we are eating together. I have never asked anyone to do that, and rarely talk about my vegetarianism or philosophy that shapes it. They do it out of respect for me. I'm glad I have friends like this.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Some beers - and wines! - but not all. www.barnivore.com is a great resource for those who wish to imbibe compassionately. Yours truly enjoys Blue Moon and Shock Top on a regular basis :)
  • LE193
    LE193 Posts: 23
    Options
    Definitely go for it! Been veggie for nearly 11 years and it's so easy I don't even think about it, the only thing thats difficult is how some people seem to object and criticise. Best of luck!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I need to build muscle need protein and vegetables dont contain enough i need to eat MEAT
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I need to build muscle need protein and vegetables dont contain enough i need to eat MEAT

Seitan actually has a protein-to-calorie ratio similar to skinless chicken breast. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    [

In order to make gelatin, one must actually kill an animal. No animal dies in order for me to eat an egg. I am vegetarian not for health reasons, but because I don't want to eat dead animals, which is the reason stated by the OP. Therefore, my advice was accurate and appropriate.

I guess you didn't want to see that in order to get female chickens, the male baby chick is killed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5H9audCRQ

So, yes, you are killing animals for eggs.
    You mean you have to sacrifice a male chicken in order for a female chicken to exist? because that is what you just said.

Yes, the egg companies won't even sell the male baby chicks because there is no profit, they just kill them and throw the baby chicks away.

Here is another video, by the vegetarian society of Hawaii, a presentation dealing with eggs and dairy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOPzKc4vA

But it is not necessary to kill a chicken (male or female) to produce an egg. That may be the practice of factory farms, but the process of laying an egg does not include the death of any animal.

Don't eat eggs if you don't want to eat eggs. That is your business. But claiming that eating eggs makes people unhealthy or insisting that an animal died in order for an egg to exist (not the case. An egg can exist without an animal's death) makes you look ridiculous.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just found out about cheese, that most is made with an enzyme from a baby cow or pig's stomach.
    Not in the US.

Most of the bigger cheese companies don't use animal byproducts, rather a vegetable based alternative; and the gourmet cheeses will say if they do right on the label.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Heard of whey protein?
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it. I am ready for this. May eat a little meat for dinner till i know if i can do this.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I am going to try it. I am ready for this. May eat a little meat for dinner till i know if i can do this.

The "Meatless Monday" concept is great for people interested in transitioning to a meat-free diet. Pick one (or two, or three) days out of the week that are "meatless". Even if you aren't interested in pursuing a vegetarian lifestyle, it can incorporate variety into your weekly meals, and staples like lentils and beans tend to cost less than meat.