going vegetarian in 2013

Options
Anyone else turning veggie for 2013? :)

This is something I have thought about for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge.

Dont nesc. think meat is wrong-- still not sure exactly what I think -- but I do think it's sad, and no longer for me.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Anyone else turning veggie for 2013? :)

This is something I have thought about for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge.

Dont nesc. think meat is wrong-- still not sure exactly what I think -- but I do think it's sad, and no longer for me.
    I did it about three or four years ago. I don't miss meat at all.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for over a decade now. Personally, it wasn't all that difficult once I realized it was what I wanted to do, and I don't miss meat at all. Now I eat a mostly (like 98%) vegan diet, it's a work in progress.

Edited to add, best of luck to you! Friend me if you'd like.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    nope. I tried it when I was 16, was deathly skinny, and grew out of the whole "moral" objection to eating meat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm wishing you a very easy transition to vegetarian-eating. I've been a vegetarian since 1973, and love the way it makes me feel. Friend me if you would like a veggie friend.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Go for it, but be sure you carefully research a balanced diet - consider taking a marine algae supplement for the long chain omega-3s to replace those found in oily fish.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm going partly vegetarian... meaning meat isn't really part of my routine anymore. However, I still like meat, and I will eat it when I go out or to someone's house (my parents, for example).

Best of luck to you, and have a happy year!
  • _VoV
    Options
    nope. I tried it when I was 16, was deathly skinny, and grew out of the whole "moral" objection to eating meat.

Perhaps you didn't intend to be insulting, but you were, nonetheless. Are you trying to start a flame war?
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 2 years! :D
  • healthy5991
    Options
    i've been vegetarian for 5 years now and im 18. there is only one word to say...QUORN, this is worlds best meat substitute, you can have all the meals you used to have but with quorn products (mince, sausages, fillets, nuggets etc) instead. i dont miss meat at all, plus quorn is lower is caloris and fat! goodluck!!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yay. Good luck!
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Perhaps you didn't intend to be insulting, but you were, nonetheless. Are you trying to start a flame war?

I agree ... I'm NOT offended, but I know many would be because I've now been on both sides of this issue.
    I'd prefer if this post didn't turn into a fight ... I just wanted people who ARE veggie or planning to switch to talk about it. Not people who are not veggie/not planning to switch. :)
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    I think it's awesome when anyone pauses a moment and thinks about the source. Even if you don't become a vegetarian, just giving thought to where food comes from the process behind it is a step in the right direction!
    Mindfulness.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Go for it, but be sure you carefully research a balanced diet - consider taking a marine algae supplement for the long chain omega-3s to replace those found in oily fish.
    Or eat flax/use flax oil.
  • CinnamonKai
    CinnamonKai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 8 or 9 years now... (I've lost count of the years). It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I do not miss meat at all. Sometimes, I do have a slight temptation; however, it is not enough to drive me to eat meat.

I do not preach to people about not eating meat. It is not my place to say nor judge. Those are one of the annoying stigmas of being a vegetarian; people assuming that you're trying to convert them into vegetarianism.
  • _VoV
    Options

I agree ... I'm NOT offended, but I know many would be because I've now been on both sides of this issue.
    I'd prefer if this post didn't turn into a fight ... I just wanted people who ARE veggie or planning to switch to talk about it. Not people who are not veggie/not planning to switch. :)

I appreciate your desire to keep things positive. That is my intention as well. I'm very happy you are exploring a lifestyle which has served me so well for a very long time.
  • rml_16
    Options

My main thought when I read that was he was doing it wrong. I WISH I could be skinny just because I eat a vegetarian diet! lol My life would be much easier.

Alas, not so. Still have to watch calories and exercise and stuff. My salads are more than 300 calories. :-)
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I was a veggie for about a year and really messed up my body. I am not knocking it by any means but if you want to be a vegetarian you really have to watch what you eat to make sure you are getting the nutrition that you need! That's where I failed. Now I try to get meat and dairy from places where I know the animals were not harmed.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I was a veggie for about a year and really messed up my body. I am not knocking it by any means but if you want to be a vegetarian you really have to watch what you eat to make sure you are getting the nutrition that you need! That's where I failed. Now I try to get meat and dairy from places where I know the animals were not harmed.

Yeah. If you eat a lot of junk, it isn't good. I eat pretty much whole foods. Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, eggs and dairy. .A very balanced diet and I'm very healthy. But a lot of people go veg and eat a lot of bread and cheese maybe and not much else. Doesn't work out! But if you already enjoy eating fruits and veggies and stuff like that, you should be fine.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm wishing you a very easy transition to vegetarian-eating. I've been a vegetarian since 1973, and love the way it makes me feel. Friend me if you would like a veggie friend.

VoV is an awesome veg*n friend!
  • _VoV
    Options

I would say that there is a steeper learning curve if you are going vegan, but if you are going lacto-ovo vegetarian, the transition need not be a huge struggle. So many popular foods are vegetarian to begin with and pack a lot of nutrition in. Plus many family recipes can be tweaked a bit, e.g. substitute a veggie protein for meat without a huge change in taste and nutritional profile.