going vegetarian in 2013

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I will say this I do get annoyed by the same basic and lack of vegetarian dishes restaurants offer. They could be more accommodating.

I totally agree! I sometimes ask for a modified plate. Example: A few side dishes from various plates already on the menu. Or, perhaps a couple of appetizers instead of a main dish. That said, there are times it gets frustrating, particularly if chicken broth is in everything including the salad dressing.

And speaking of salad: why don't restaurants get that vegetarians aren't always in the mood for salad? Sometimes we want hearty comfort foods too, like creamy soups, pot pies, and stews.

haha try gluten free and pescetarian. I usually just order steamed brocolli and grilled fish. Actually, I don't go out to eat very often anymore.

That would be my mother. She doesn't eat out often either.
  • hyerlevo
    Options
    Hi, Congrats and be encouraged on your veg journey. It has it's benefits as long as you replace your COMPLETE PROTIEN with plant based amino acids and fish or fax oils.

I've done it on and off for years. At this time I only enjoy meat periodicly when I want to splurg n some of the dishes that I used to love where I grew up. I really don't miss meat most of the time.

You may also want to look into "Mock Meat's" ie..soy protiens or seitan if you need that transitional segway.

Be well!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I gave vegan a try this past summer, but that was too strict for me. So i turned complete vegetarian about 5 months ago. I don't even miss meat. I do take a couple supplements every day to make sure I'm getting all the protein and iron I need every day though. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm against animal-cruelty 100% and I think nothing should have to suffer or die that I might live.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's the best thing I ever did! I would never go back to eating the flesh of an animal
  • jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Veggie friend here! I don't miss meat at all cause I never really liked eat in the first place, but I've found that there are a lot of foods I love (rice pilaf, bloody mary's, McDonalds fries (drunk college days! :)) that are made with meat products. I've loosened my standards, and I need to get more on track. Also, if you are concerned about the humaneness of it, try buying free range and local eggs and milk. It's way more expensive, but corporate farms treat animals terribly even if they are not raising them to be killed. Feel free to friend me! I love trying to incorporate new food things into my way of life!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough. Whatever your source of calories, it is about calories in and calories out. It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

I have been listening and studying both vegan and low carb "experts" and I ultimately decided to go starch-based (McDougall diet and Jeff Novick).

If you are seriously interested in your health (as well as weight loss) here are some videos that will help you.

Eating packaged foods.
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711025

If you want to learn about starch-based diets:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30989976

McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30630278

The psychology of losing weight:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711020
    and
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711021

There are more videos but I believe these are very important videos to watch anyone who wants to transition from a meat to non-meat diet.

Feel free to message me for more information, please watch your fat and sodium intake when eating refined foods (package foods).

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.
  • IamNhappy
    IamNhappy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been working on it since 2010, I think I am officially ready!
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.

THIS! It annoys me that people are always "warning" that being a vegetarian is extremely difficult. It is not! I mean, I was never one of those people who ate meat at every meal or even every day so perhaps I don't understand what the huge adjustment is, but seriously people...it's not that hard. Eat healthy whole foods whether you eat meat or not. You can be a "sickly" omnivore just as easily!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could give up meat. I feel bad and have seen some movies that would make a lot of people convert, but it only works for like a week for me.

Best of luck to you though.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Veggie friend here! I don't miss meat at all cause I never really liked eat in the first place, but I've found that there are a lot of foods I love (rice pilaf, bloody mary's, McDonalds fries (drunk college days! :)) that are made with meat products. I've loosened my standards, and I need to get more on track. Also, if you are concerned about the humaneness of it, try buying free range and local eggs and milk. It's way more expensive, but corporate farms treat animals terribly even if they are not raising them to be killed. Feel free to friend me! I love trying to incorporate new food things into my way of life!

- Most male chicks get killed soon after hatching.
    - Male calves are killed, either soon after birth or when they are sent to slaughter.
    - When dairy cows stop giving milk, they are sent to slaughter.
    - When chickens stop laying, they are sent to slaughter.

The sad truth is, regardless of what type of farm it is (factory farm, local organic farm, etc.), animals that don't produce something are generally killed or sent to slaughter, otherwise farms have to spend money to care for animals who don't give any return--not a good business practice. Even if you buy eggs from the person down the road who lets their hens live out their natural lives, their brothers were killed as babies.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I went veggie in May of this year for ethical reasons. I then molded my daily diet for health reasons. Get used to the mundane questioning and pestering of others. It's borderline bullying and pathetic. I have learned to tune it out but it still happens occasionally (like on xmas at work when a coworker pushed a plate of bloody red prime rib in my face, almost hitting my nose with it... seriously?).

It's easy to eat the wrong things and lack nutrition just as a meat eater would (like eating nothing but fast food for example). Watch your carbs (best friend is a carbitarian lol), take a suppliment, take advantage of protein powders, and enjoy the thousands of amazing recipes on sites like vegweb, post punk kitchen, and oh she glows. I have started eating more foods since I went veg and I love trying new things. I cook every day instead of eating out all the time and my food tastes 100% more appetizing and flavorful.

There are a couple of groups on this site for veggies and vegans (I think happy herbivores is the most active) that you should join!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options

- Male calves are killed, either soon after birth or when they are sent to slaughter.

The sad truth is, regardless of what type of farm it is (factory farm, local organic farm, etc.), animals that don't produce something are generally killed or sent to slaughter, otherwise farms have to spend money to care for animals who don't give any return--not a good business practice. Even if you buy eggs from the person down the road who lets their hens live out their natural lives, their brothers were killed as babies.

Before I gave up eggs I bought free range eggs from trader joes. I later found out that even though they are free range they still cut their beaks. The imagery made me really sad and I quit eggs that moment.
  • hyerlevo
    Options

THIS! It annoys me that people are always "warning" that being a vegetarian is extremely difficult. It is not! I mean, I was never one of those people who ate meat at every meal or even every day so perhaps I don't understand what the huge adjustment is, but seriously people...it's not that hard. Eat healthy whole foods whether you eat meat or not. You can be a "sickly" omnivore just as easily!

THIS!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I agree that being vegetarian isn't all that difficult.

Over the last 20 years or so, many vegetarian convenience foods have come on the market. So, if you are a person who doesn't enjoy cooking from scratch, you can still eat a good variety of foods with a minimal amount of preparation.

And, if are the sort of person who enjoys culinary creating, you can still do that--plating elegant food, as well as downhome favorites.

In other words, each vegetarian diet can be unique to individual tastes and lifestyle preferences. And, it can all work beautifully.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I was a HUGE meat-eater! Gimme a juicy steak and I was in heaven. I gave it up pretty much cold turkey (had one or two slips in the beginning -- Swedish meatballs at a party one night was too much temptation), but once I really committed, I was in all the way. No problem.
    It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

Where did you pull this from? Plenty of fat in a veg diet.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I asked for Gluten Free Vegetarian Cookbooks for Christmas. While my goal is to eat less meat, I'm more of a Flexigtarian. I'm still eating eggs and milk as protein and dairy sources And avoiding soy because of the connection to hypothyroid I already struggle with. I'm really just hoping to go for more vegetarian options rather than meat options. I was raised by a beef farmer, always raising our own cattle, and chickens. I'm a firm believer in getting back to the basics of food. My kids have celiac disease so we are gluten free for the most part. I just think in the long run it's more of a meatless option which I would rather pursue.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Before I gave up eggs I bought free range eggs from trader joes. I later found out that even though they are free range they still cut their beaks. The imagery made me really sad and I quit eggs that moment.
    isn't that done so they wont cannibalize/ peck at each other ie stop them from harming on another. I've had chickens and they are mean.
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    I totally cannot touch meat because I feel like I am eating an animal that got killed the wrong way. I saw videos of how Cows and Chickens get beaten and electrified so we can eat them. It makes me sick!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Anyone else turning veggie for 2013? :)

Planning to return to my 90% Raw Vegan diet around February or March. I reserve my 10% for social eating, where I will eat meat if offered.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 24 years, been eating all the wrong things up until January 2012, I've lost 40lbs since. And now love my new way of life.
    Anyone, please feel free to add me so that we can share tips.