going vegetarian in 2013

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Veggie friend here! I don't miss meat at all cause I never really liked eat in the first place, but I've found that there are a lot of foods I love (rice pilaf, bloody mary's, McDonalds fries (drunk college days! :)) that are made with meat products. I've loosened my standards, and I need to get more on track. Also, if you are concerned about the humaneness of it, try buying free range and local eggs and milk. It's way more expensive, but corporate farms treat animals terribly even if they are not raising them to be killed. Feel free to friend me! I love trying to incorporate new food things into my way of life!

- Most male chicks get killed soon after hatching.
    - Male calves are killed, either soon after birth or when they are sent to slaughter.
    - When dairy cows stop giving milk, they are sent to slaughter.
    - When chickens stop laying, they are sent to slaughter.

The sad truth is, regardless of what type of farm it is (factory farm, local organic farm, etc.), animals that don't produce something are generally killed or sent to slaughter, otherwise farms have to spend money to care for animals who don't give any return--not a good business practice. Even if you buy eggs from the person down the road who lets their hens live out their natural lives, their brothers were killed as babies.

Before I gave up eggs I bought free range eggs from trader joes. I later found out that even though they are free range they still cut their beaks. The imagery made me really sad and I quit eggs that moment.
    isn't that done so they wont cannibalize/ peck at each other ie stop them from harming on another. I've had chickens and they are mean.

The hens my family had never did that. However, pecking at each other, and picking at themselves is a common sign of stress in all birds.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I will say this I do get annoyed by the same basic and lack of vegetarian dishes restaurants offer. They could be more accommodating.

I agree... Where I am there are very few places that have meat free options. One reason why my husband and I don't go out to eat as much as we used to.

I have been vegetarian since Father's Day of this year (that was my last meat meal). It is still a struggle sometimes as people don't seem to understand. I've had two friends try to argue with me that I can still eat chicken. I know I can still eat chicken, I just choose to not eat any form of meat. I still have a lot of people questioning me as to why I choose to eat the way I do.

There are a lot of options out these days for vegetarians and vegans which is great! If you like the meat substitutes there are TONS out there. I don't eat a lot of them but some are great!

I'm still learning how to ensure I get the nutrtition I need. Protein is my main thing and I have found a lot of ways to incorporate it.

I'm learning as I go.. feel free to add me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    An FYI about restaurants: Some of them actually have a separate menu with vegetarian dishes that you can ask for (as with pretty much any dietary restriction). Some have better options than others, but you have to at least ask. I generally, at chains, end up with a couple side dishes and I've found a lot of places' creamy soups do not have chicken broth in them.

But if you want to really not go wrong and have a good, wide selection, go for Indian.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I have given it thought, but when I really think about I realize it's not for me. Good luck though!
  • UtahWalker
    UtahWalker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I am going from vegetarian to vegan. I love cooking and I love creating new recipes and converting many recipes to vegan recipes. I collect cook books and I have probably over 20 vegetarian cook books. When you first start being a vegetarian you might want to include some of the Morningstar or Boca products. I started including some of them until I learned to prepare wholesome products from scratch. I now make over 50 different burger like products, meat like loafs, chili, pasta sauce, lasagna, and etc. without burger crumbles. Veggie stir fries are terrific. Veggie coconut almond oatmeal cookies and orange spice cookies taste great. There are so many recipes for vegetarians just waiting to be tried. Good luck to you and welcome to the world of vegetarians.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree that being vegetarian isn't all that difficult.

Over the last 20 years or so, many vegetarian convenience foods have come on the market. So, if you are a person who doesn't enjoy cooking from scratch, you can still eat a good variety of foods with a minimal amount of preparation.

And, if are the sort of person who enjoys culinary creating, you can still do that--plating elegant food, as well as downhome favorites.

In other words, each vegetarian diet can be unique to individual tastes and lifestyle preferences. And, it can all work beautifully.

^^agreed.

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 25 years and it really is not that hard and has got a lot easier. You just need to 'keep an eye' on your protein which I assume you will be doing as you are logging here. There are some restrictions but if you are not averse to 'fake meat' it really is not difficult at all - just swap out what would normally be meat. Although I do miss bacon...they just cannot seem to make a good fake bacon *sigh*. If you eat a well balanced diet you should not have any issues with macro or micronutient deficiencies. It can be a little annoying when you go out to restaurants. Most in my area are really good with vegetarian options but there have been a few times I have had to have a plate of steamed veggies or a salad. You will find appetizers are your friend!

You may want to join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I agree that being vegetarian isn't all that difficult.

Over the last 20 years or so, many vegetarian convenience foods have come on the market. So, if you are a person who doesn't enjoy cooking from scratch, you can still eat a good variety of foods with a minimal amount of preparation.

And, if are the sort of person who enjoys culinary creating, you can still do that--plating elegant food, as well as downhome favorites.

In other words, each vegetarian diet can be unique to individual tastes and lifestyle preferences. And, it can all work beautifully.

^^agreed.

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 25 years and it really is not that hard and has got a lot easier. You just need to 'keep an eye' on your protein which I assume you will be doing as you are logging here. There are some restrictions but if you are not averse to 'fake meat' it really is not difficult at all - just swap out what would normally be meat. Although I do miss bacon...they just cannot seem to make a good fake bacon *sigh*. If you eat a well balanced diet you should not have any issues with macro or micronutient deficiencies. It can be a little annoying when you go out to restaurants. Most in my area are really good with vegetarian options but there have been a few times I have had to have a plate of steamed veggies or a salad. You will find appetizers are your friend!

You may want to join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

This sounds weird, but when I first became a veggie bacon was the one thing I missed. I found smoked almonds cured the craving. They're smoky, and fatty just like bacon.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This sounds weird, but when I first became a veggie bacon was the one thing I missed. I found smoked almonds cured the craving. They're smoky, and fatty just like bacon.

Thank you for the suggestion.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ate lots of meat over Christmas and then ate leftovers before new year and today i have had no meat and do not intend on buying any again until easter!

In fact we are hoping that 50% of our diet will be RAW vegan food, by February when we will get a dehydrator!!

I will still buy meat on special occasions, from the community farm down the road.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My main thought when I read that was he was doing it wrong. I WISH I could be skinny just because I eat a vegetarian diet! lol My life would be much easier.

Alas, not so. Still have to watch calories and exercise and stuff. My salads are more than 300 calories. :-)
    [/quote]

ditto.
    I have been veggie for over 30 years. still working on skinny.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.

THIS! It annoys me that people are always "warning" that being a vegetarian is extremely difficult. It is not! I mean, I was never one of those people who ate meat at every meal or even every day so perhaps I don't understand what the huge adjustment is, but seriously people...it's not that hard. Eat healthy whole foods whether you eat meat or not. You can be a "sickly" omnivore just as easily!

Completely agree. Well said.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian at some point in the mid-90s. It was not a difficult transition at all. In fact, it wasn't really a conscious decision. I just realized one day that I hadn't eaten meat in several months and didn't miss it. I did resume eating fish for a few years, but gave that up several months ago.
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough. Whatever your source of calories, it is about calories in and calories out. It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

I have been listening and studying both vegan and low carb "experts" and I ultimately decided to go starch-based (McDougall diet and Jeff Novick).

If you are seriously interested in your health (as well as weight loss) here are some videos that will help you.

Eating packaged foods.
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711025

If you want to learn about starch-based diets:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30989976

McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30630278

The psychology of losing weight:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711020
    and
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711021

There are more videos but I believe these are very important videos to watch anyone who wants to transition from a meat to non-meat diet.

Feel free to message me for more information, please watch your fat and sodium intake when eating refined foods (package foods).

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.

Those are my opinion as I have been meat, dairy and seafood free for 2 years. Try watching the links about your B12 comments. I also said those videos are a start.

There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.

lolz
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

With all due respect, your opinion is absurd.
  • almc170
    Options

My blood work and my doctor would tend to disagree...
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough. Whatever your source of calories, it is about calories in and calories out. It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

I have been listening and studying both vegan and low carb "experts" and I ultimately decided to go starch-based (McDougall diet and Jeff Novick).

If you are seriously interested in your health (as well as weight loss) here are some videos that will help you.

Eating packaged foods.

and

There are more videos but I believe these are very important videos to watch anyone who wants to transition from a meat to non-meat diet.

Feel free to message me for more information, please watch your fat and sodium intake when eating refined foods (package foods).

Those are my opinion as I have been meat, dairy and seafood free for 2 years. Try watching the links about your B12 comments. I also said those videos are a start.

Please, please, please give me a prevue by telling me what *reliable* vegan source of B12 your links will lead me to that numerous vegan nutrition experts (e.g. Jack Norris, Virginia Messina, Brenda Davis, and Vesanto Melina to name a few) are somehow unaware of, I would love to see it. Please note that seaweed, and other ocean plants do not have consistent, or particularly high levels of B12, so relying on them is not a good idea. Nutritional yeast, another common source is fortified with B12, so eating it is no different than taking a pill.

Also, you presented your opinion as fact, I countered with my opinion in a polite fashion. It's called having a conversation. There is no reason to get snippy.
  • Taem2
    Options

THIS! It annoys me that people are always "warning" that being a vegetarian is extremely difficult. It is not! I mean, I was never one of those people who ate meat at every meal or even every day so perhaps I don't understand what the huge adjustment is, but seriously people...it's not that hard. Eat healthy whole foods whether you eat meat or not. You can be a "sickly" omnivore just as easily!

The reason why being a vegetarian/vegan is difficult is because, depending on which diet you eat, you will get healthy or fatter. Chocolate and soda is considered vegan.

Eating healthy is the proper term, like whole foods, or plant strong, or starch-based. What does being a vegetarian mean? What does being a vegan mean? That is why I said in my original post that being healthy is what people strive to be.

People can turn to begin a vegan purely because of their love for animals. That has nothing to do with eating healthy. That is why I posted those hour long videos for the new beginner to watch.
  • Taem2
    Options

Eating packaged foods.

and

Please, please, please give me a prevue by telling me what *reliable* vegan source of B12 your links will lead me to that numerous vegan nutrition experts (e.g. Jack Norris, Virginia Messina, Brenda Davis, and Vesanto Melina to name a few) are somehow unaware of, I would love to see it. Please note that seaweed, and other ocean plants do not have consistent, or particularly high levels of B12, so relying on them is not a good idea. Nutritional yeast, another common source is fortified with B12, so eating it is no different than taking a pill.

Also, you presented your opinion as fact, I countered with my opinion in a polite fashion. It's called having a conversation. There is no reason to get snippy.

Instead of singling out my post, why didn't you create a new one? Also, I gave links for the OP to watch for her to make up her mind, you just have to say what is on your mind and that's it. Seems to me you are the one who is the rude one.
  • almc170
    Options

The reason why being a vegetarian/vegan is difficult is because, depending on which diet you eat, you will get healthy or fatter. Chocolate and soda is considered vegan.

Eating healthy is the proper term, like whole foods, or plant strong, or starch-based. What does being a vegetarian mean? What does being a vegan mean? That is why I said in my original post that being healthy is what people strive to be.

People can turn to begin a vegan purely because of their love for animals. That has nothing to do with eating healthy. That is why I posted those hour long videos for the new beginner to watch.
    Oy. It's not difficult or complicated. And certainly not a rigid, black/white proposition. Why discourage people by making it unnecessarily so?