going vegetarian in 2013

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.

With all due respect, your opinion is absurd.

Hi, I really don't want to discuss something off-topic. However, since people feel the need to comment on it, here we go.

Empirical evidence of how eggs do in your salads (when you buy them):
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_005_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_007_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_006_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_003_2012_Release/index.asp

Pretty much, you get Listeria contamination.

Here is a Canadian doctor who wants to prevent strokes, due to egg consumption:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/whose-health-unaffected-by-eggs/

Which has more dietary cholesterol, where does the egg stand?
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/avoiding-cholesterol-is-a-no-brainer/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/

I'm only going to give one link for milk, unless there is more "your opinion is invalid" response.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/food-sources-of-pcb-chemical-pollutants/

Going for my run!

Oh for the love of Pete. Whatever. Enjoy your run.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    my husband and I are going vegan, we were already mostly vegetarian. add me if you want!
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I went Vegetarian in August & a month later went Vegan. It is much healthier than eating meat.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    10+ years over here. eating flesh creeps me out.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.
    My blood work and my doctor would tend to disagree...

this.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I gave up chicken & fish a few months ago (beef, seafood, etc went a long time ago). I don't miss them. Becoming an ovo-lacto-vegetarian has improved how I feel healthwise tremendously. For me that heavy feeling that goes along with eating any kind of meat has gone. I would like to be vegan but I'm finding it hard to do away with milk & eggs (along with the picture in my mind of suffering animals)
    There are lots of creative vegetarian recipes to try. Some of my favorites are 3-Bean Chili, Kasha Salad & Lentil Soup.

Good Luck in achieving your new goal to become vegetarian!

I found a gradual approach helped me give up dairy and eggs. Over a couple of years I found and adapted to other foods to fill the places those foods filled in my diet. For example, switching from regular milk to almond milk, or eating more beans since I no longer got my protein from yogurt. Even if you are never a "perfect" vegan, I think that any reduction is a positive thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee this morning. It's not as bad tasting as I thought it might be. Next to go will probably be yogurt. I have some recipes that I've been making more often with beans, lentils & buckwheat groats. Remembering back to transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle I did use a gradual approach. So I know it isn't that hard. Or as hard as some people think.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie for about a year and really messed up my body. I am not knocking it by any means but if you want to be a vegetarian you really have to watch what you eat to make sure you are getting the nutrition that you need! That's where I failed. Now I try to get meat and dairy from places where I know the animals were not harmed.

I think if you are eating meat, the animals were harmed.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I gave vegan a try this past summer, but that was too strict for me. So i turned complete vegetarian about 5 months ago. I don't even miss meat. I do take a couple supplements every day to make sure I'm getting all the protein and iron I need every day though. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm against animal-cruelty 100% and I think nothing should have to suffer or die that I might live.

Thought is wasn't going to be a post about this type of stuff. You're killing plants to eat, so down from the high horse.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I gave vegan a try this past summer, but that was too strict for me. So i turned complete vegetarian about 5 months ago. I don't even miss meat. I do take a couple supplements every day to make sure I'm getting all the protein and iron I need every day though. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm against animal-cruelty 100% and I think nothing should have to suffer or die that I might live.

Thought is wasn't going to be a post about this type of stuff. You're killing plants to eat, so down from the high horse.

Talk about someone on their high horse. People have different reasons to be vegetarian. If she thinks making animals live in an unnatural state and killing them for her own consumption is wrong, then that is her choice, not anyone else's. It's not like she's going around saying "all you meat eaters are horrible people." Her choice to not eat meat is just that; her choice. It shouldn't matter to you or anyone else her reasons behind it. And the whole "killing plants to eat" is an elementary argument.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Okay....so Unionville is very sweet with its great suspension bridge and all, so I'm not going to say anything harsh. I just would encourage you reconsider your statement. I think it's perfectly okay to make consumer decisions to avoid animal exploitation. If you draw the line to include cruelty to plants that is your choice.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fruitetarians believe its wrong to kill plants so they don't eat anything that involved killing the plant. Yeah I don't know I saw it in a vegetarian cook book.
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Wow, that equates to a whole lot of dead people.....Hmm

No dear, that equates to unhealthy people.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

:noway:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Anyone else turning veggie for 2013? :)

This is something I have thought about for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge.

Dont nesc. think meat is wrong-- still not sure exactly what I think -- but I do think it's sad, and no longer for me.

I have been a non meat eater for nearly 16 years...I did a one month trial run and I make my own rules..so I might eat eggs, milk, foods cooked with meat...ie pot pie I just don't eat the chicken chunks...once when I was pregnant with my oldest I had a turkey sandwich...that repulsed me taste and texture wise, it just sounded good...a few times a year I have fish...see how you feel...you either will love it or it will be a challenge...you can be healthy either way so do what makes you feel good
  • thatonegirlamy
    Options
    I already added a few of you, but anyway, I am already *mostly* vegetarian, as in a few times a week I do still eat it, and bacon is my only weakness....I plan to make the change completely into lacto-ovo veg. Feel free to add me!! I also need accountability friends!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I eat cheese daily. I use milk in recipes (though I prefer the taste of soy when not baking). I eat eggs on my salad all the time.

Heat kills listeria. If eggs were contaminated with it, pregnant women would be warned against them.

My cholesterol is normal and my HDL is higher than normal. I am in perfect health, in fact. I'm sure there are a lot of unhealthy people who eat dairy and eggs, but they are not unhealthy BECAUSE they eat dairy and eggs.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

I eat cheese daily. I use milk in recipes (though I prefer the taste of soy when not baking). I eat eggs on my salad all the time.

Heat kills listeria. If eggs were contaminated with it, pregnant women would be warned against them.

My cholesterol is normal and my HDL is higher than normal. I am in perfect health, in fact. I'm sure there are a lot of unhealthy people who eat dairy and eggs, but they are not unhealthy BECAUSE they eat dairy and eggs.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, hi OP! I'm excited for you to make a change! I feel my health has improved a lot since I went veg'n. I'm mostly vegan, shooting for 100% now as I've realized dairy and eggs just don 't jive in my body.

Enjoy your journey! I've been on a logging break but am back at it as of tomorrow if you want another veg'n friend.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I could never ever be vegan.. I need my meat
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Go for it, but be sure you carefully research a balanced diet - consider taking a marine algae supplement for the long chain omega-3s to replace those found in oily fish.

I wasn't aware there was an alternative to that! Are those supplements expensive? I might have to look for them as I've been worried about omega 3s for awhile now.