going vegetarian in 2013

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.

THIS! It annoys me that people are always "warning" that being a vegetarian is extremely difficult. It is not! I mean, I was never one of those people who ate meat at every meal or even every day so perhaps I don't understand what the huge adjustment is, but seriously people...it's not that hard. Eat healthy whole foods whether you eat meat or not. You can be a "sickly" omnivore just as easily!

Completely agree. Well said.

The reason why being a vegetarian/vegan is difficult is because, depending on which diet you eat, you will get healthy or fatter. Chocolate and soda is considered vegan.

Eating healthy is the proper term, like whole foods, or plant strong, or starch-based. What does being a vegetarian mean? What does being a vegan mean? That is why I said in my original post that being healthy is what people strive to be.

People can turn to begin a vegan purely because of their love for animals. That has nothing to do with eating healthy. That is why I posted those hour long videos for the new beginner to watch.

You started your post with these words "becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough." There is no mention of health, although you quickly make it clear that you are assuming weight loss is the goal. You are correct that a veg*n diet is not necessarily healthy or low calorie, but I don't think anyone here is claiming otherwise. In fact, several people have pointed out that they were/are overweight veg*ns. Moreover, I clearly state that transitioning to and maintaining a *healthy* diet is difficult for many people, not maintaining a veg*n diet.

Also note that the OP does not state that her reasons for the switch are health related. She closes her post with this "Dont nesc. think meat is wrong-- still not sure exactly what I think -- but I do think it's sad, and no longer for me." If anything, this would seem to imply that her reasons for the change are not health related, for example, "I do think it's sad."
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    So, I'm gluten-free for medical reasons, and through trial and error have discovered I feel healthier and more energetic when I also eat vegetarian, but with the gluten-free problems, I'm hesitant to willingly impose more restrictions on my diet even though I know it makes me feel better.

Also, most meat substitute products are chock full o' wheat glutens.

And even if I ever did go veggie, I think I'd still *occasionally* eat the super organic farm raised type meats. Happier meat = tastier meat.

I don't even know what I'm talking about.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough. Whatever your source of calories, it is about calories in and calories out. It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

I have been listening and studying both vegan and low carb "experts" and I ultimately decided to go starch-based (McDougall diet and Jeff Novick).

If you are seriously interested in your health (as well as weight loss) here are some videos that will help you.

Eating packaged foods.
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711025

If you want to learn about starch-based diets:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30989976

McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30630278

The psychology of losing weight:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711020
    and
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711021

There are more videos but I believe these are very important videos to watch anyone who wants to transition from a meat to non-meat diet.

Feel free to message me for more information, please watch your fat and sodium intake when eating refined foods (package foods).

While I'm sure those are excellent and helpful links, I really wish people would stop saying that being a vegetarian is difficult. Being a healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian isn't any more difficult than being a healthy omnivore. The basics of the diet are really the same, lots of veggies, some starches/whole grains, and some source of protein. It's the healthy part that requires more adjustment for most people, not the no meat part. Being vegan is slightly more effort, but not really that much, the only really special thing you need to do is take B12--a pill a couple of times a week or a descent multivitamin is really not a big deal. Going out to eat will never be the same, but most restaurant food is pretty unhealthy anyway, and the healthier places are likely to be the most accommodating.

Those are my opinion as I have been meat, dairy and seafood free for 2 years. Try watching the links about your B12 comments. I also said those videos are a start.

There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.

Please, please, please give me a prevue by telling me what *reliable* vegan source of B12 your links will lead me to that numerous vegan nutrition experts (e.g. Jack Norris, Virginia Messina, Brenda Davis, and Vesanto Melina to name a few) are somehow unaware of, I would love to see it. Please note that seaweed, and other ocean plants do not have consistent, or particularly high levels of B12, so relying on them is not a good idea. Nutritional yeast, another common source is fortified with B12, so eating it is no different than taking a pill.

Also, you presented your opinion as fact, I countered with my opinion in a polite fashion. It's called having a conversation. There is no reason to get snippy.

Instead of singling out my post, why didn't you create a new one? Also, I gave links for the OP to watch for her to make up her mind, you just have to say what is on your mind and that's it. Seems to me you are the one who is the rude one.

My post was not rude, and I do not understand why you feel singled out. You made a statement, I disagreed (politely I think, I even acknowledged that the links you supplied may well be helpful). I quoted your post because you started it with a point that I firmly disagree with, specifically, "becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough." I have been a vegetarian for over a decade, I have transitioned to a diet that involves at most a few teaspoons of dairy a month and no eggs. I have been an unhealthy vegetarian and a healthy one. Being an unhealthy vegetarian was certainly easier than being a healthy one, but being an unhealthy omnivore is far easier than being a healthy omnivore. My point was this: being healthy takes effort, avoiding certain foods is generally quite easy.

Edited to add: I'd still love to hear about a reliable, natural, vegan B12 source.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a healthy ovo-laco vegetarian. Oh look, my opinion again.

<
    Healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian.
    Your 'opinion' is invalid.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I don't even know what I'm talking about.

This cracked me up! Happy New Year :)
  • Bentley2718
    Options

<
    Healthy ovo-lacto vegetarian.
    Your 'opinion' is invalid.

Invalid might not be the entirely correct. Inconsistent with both anecdotal evidence (i.e. several people in this thread, and many others in the world) and not consistent with generally accepted medical/nutritional information, or current scientific research. Wait...
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough. Whatever your source of calories, it is about calories in and calories out. It is easier for a vegetarian/vegan because there is a lot less fat consumption (9 claories a gram).

I have been listening and studying both vegan and low carb "experts" and I ultimately decided to go starch-based (McDougall diet and Jeff Novick).

If you are seriously interested in your health (as well as weight loss) here are some videos that will help you.

Eating packaged foods.
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711025

If you want to learn about starch-based diets:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30989976

McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30630278

The psychology of losing weight:
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711020
    and
    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29711021

There are more videos but I believe these are very important videos to watch anyone who wants to transition from a meat to non-meat diet.

Feel free to message me for more information, please watch your fat and sodium intake when eating refined foods (package foods).

Those are my opinion as I have been meat, dairy and seafood free for 2 years. Try watching the links about your B12 comments. I also said those videos are a start.

Please, please, please give me a prevue by telling me what *reliable* vegan source of B12 your links will lead me to that numerous vegan nutrition experts (e.g. Jack Norris, Virginia Messina, Brenda Davis, and Vesanto Melina to name a few) are somehow unaware of, I would love to see it. Please note that seaweed, and other ocean plants do not have consistent, or particularly high levels of B12, so relying on them is not a good idea. Nutritional yeast, another common source is fortified with B12, so eating it is no different than taking a pill.

Also, you presented your opinion as fact, I countered with my opinion in a polite fashion. It's called having a conversation. There is no reason to get snippy.

Instead of singling out my post, why didn't you create a new one? Also, I gave links for the OP to watch for her to make up her mind, you just have to say what is on your mind and that's it. Seems to me you are the one who is the rude one.

My post was not rude, and I do not understand why you feel singled out. You made a statement, I disagreed (politely I think, I even acknowledged that the links you supplied may well be helpful). I quoted your post because you started it with a point that I firmly disagree with, specifically, "becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough." I have been a vegetarian for over a decade, I have transitioned to a diet that involves at most a few teaspoons of dairy a month and no eggs. I have been an unhealthy vegetarian and a healthy one. Being an unhealthy vegetarian was certainly easier than being a healthy one, but being an unhealthy omnivore is far easier than being a healthy omnivore. My point was this: being healthy takes effort, avoiding certain foods is generally quite easy.

Edited to add: I'd still love to hear about a reliable, natural, vegan B12 source.

Instead of arguing with someone who tried to support the transition to a vegetarian lifestyle, why don't you supply links that will help the OP so others can politely disagree with your opinions.
  • Bentley2718
    Options

Instead of arguing with someone who tried to support the transition to a vegetarian lifestyle, why don't you supply links that will help the OP so others can politely disagree with your opinions.

I will gladly supply the OP with links as well as book recommendations if she asks for them. However, her original post only asked if anyone was going veggie, and I responded that I was veggie, wished her luck, and invited her to friend me in case she wanted friends who don't eat meat. All perfectly reasonable.

I responded to your post because it began with what I consider to be a major piece of misinformation, specifically the words "becoming a vegetarian or vegan is tough." These are exactly the sort of words that scare people away from vegetarian and vegan diets, not a very helpful thing to say to someone who is just starting out. I am sure you did not intent to discourage her, and you provided her with information that is potentially useful, but I responded because I wanted to make the counter point that I, and many other people, do not find it difficult to maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet, and to point out that healthier diets typically take more work than unhealthy diets, regardless of whether one chooses to eat meat, dairy, or eggs.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I just want to interject that it's important for vegans to get a reliable source of vitamin B12. Some plants (such as seaweeds) have a substance that tests as vitamin B12 in the lab, but is actually a precursor to vitamin B12 which cannot be used by the body.

I have made this a careful study, due to an early misadventure of mine in the 1970's when I first went vegan. At the time, the literature said that most people had vitamin B12 stores in their bodies which would last at least 5 years. Not. so.

After a year, my red cells were big, immature, and didn't hold enough hemoglobin to power me: classic pernicious anemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency. I had many other subtle symptoms which were no fun: a white streak in my hair; low mood; lack of energy.

My suggestion: take the little pink pill that tastes vaguely like berries at least a few times a week. It can help you avoid problems.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How can that be an opinion? There either are or there are not healthy lacto-ovo vegetarians. I am one and according to all my blood work and examinations by physicians, as well as how I FEEL and LOOK (skin, hair, etc.), I am a healthy lacto-ovo vegetarian. Therefore, your "opinion" is wrong.

If I said it's my opinion that the sky is green or that it snows in the summer and is hot in the winter, wouldn't you scratch your head over that?
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I went vegan in may and never turned back. The first month will give you hell. Good luck and Happy New Year :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing this as well... Once all the meat is gone in my house. But just like a work out, I never start on a new year or a Monday, because that just gives me another excuse to start the next Monday. I start when I think about starting. Otherwise I feel like I make excuses for myself. That's just what works for me.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thought about it seriiously. Good luck with it and hope you are successful.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm headed that way for health reasons (cholesterol). I did a blood test 3 months ago and then started cutting out foods with cholesterol in them (not completely but more and more). I take my next cholesterol test in 3 more months and I'm curious to see what affect the food I eat has on my cholesterol levels. I say that knowing that each person is different and some foods affect peoples cholesterol and in others it has no affect.

God bless,
    Karen
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for eight years now. I eat mostly vegan, though.
    Good luck! (:
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie Vegucated the other night and now I'm trying my hardest to not eat meat I plan on tomorrow being my lest meat meal (BBQ pork!) I haven't eaten meat and I've hardly touched dairy every time I do I think about what I saw in that movie and I just don't want it any more. Of course I don't really even like meat any way. I eat pulled pork, ribs, bacon, roast beef and fried chicken and that is really all of it that I like. so this should be easy and then I hope to cut our dairy and eggs and just be vegan by the end of the year and if possible I would love to be raw vegan for the summer.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since 1998. You're welcome to add me if you find it difficult... Also if you like some recipes and tips. :)
    Good luck!
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

With all due respect, your opinion is absurd.

Hi, I really don't want to discuss something off-topic. However, since people feel the need to comment on it, here we go.

Empirical evidence of how eggs do in your salads (when you buy them):
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_005_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_007_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_006_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_003_2012_Release/index.asp

Pretty much, you get Listeria contamination.

Here is a Canadian doctor who wants to prevent strokes, due to egg consumption:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/whose-health-unaffected-by-eggs/

Which has more dietary cholesterol, where does the egg stand?
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/avoiding-cholesterol-is-a-no-brainer/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/

I'm only going to give one link for milk, unless there is more "your opinion is invalid" response.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/food-sources-of-pcb-chemical-pollutants/

Going for my run!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian before I got sober because I had high cholesterol and did not want to take the meds because you are not allowed to drink that much on them(yeah, sad huh?)

My experience was that my body was very happy with me but I did need to take an iron supplement as I got anemic, especially during TOM. I found that when I started eating a little bit of meat that it was very gross to me as I felt I could taste the animal in it.

I am also a big fan of Quorn but beware, if you have a mold allergy it could make you sick as it is made from a fungus an some types of mold. It is delicious and I use it for most everything. The best thing about it is that it does not take long to make as it is not real meat.

One thing I will share that I had the "look down my nose" at meat thing the first few years. I made a big deal in front of others about my choices as if to make sure they knew that my choices were better than theirs. I did this in the beginning, as many of us do, but I am willing to talk about it. :wink: I did not realize I was doing it and found that people did not feel insulted by my choices or talk smack to me about eating veg when I did not make a big deal about it. My choices are the right choices for me and I have learned that I more people are attracted to my lifestyle when I am not trying to promote it.

Good luck, take your supplements, get enough protein and dont go all vegetarian nazi, those are my suggestions. :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

With all due respect, your opinion is absurd.

Hi, I really don't want to discuss something off-topic. However, since people feel the need to comment on it, here we go.

Empirical evidence of how eggs do in your salads (when you buy them):
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_005_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_007_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_006_2012_Release/index.asp
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_003_2012_Release/index.asp

Pretty much, you get Listeria contamination.

Here is a Canadian doctor who wants to prevent strokes, due to egg consumption:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/whose-health-unaffected-by-eggs/

Which has more dietary cholesterol, where does the egg stand?
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/avoiding-cholesterol-is-a-no-brainer/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/

I'm only going to give one link for milk, unless there is more "your opinion is invalid" response.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/food-sources-of-pcb-chemical-pollutants/

Going for my run!

Wow, that equates to a whole lot of dead people.....Hmm