WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Happy New Year!!!!

Special thank you to Barbie:flowerforyou: for keeping our thread going!!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come in often and just start chatting! This is the best group of women on MFP, full of motivation and inspirition, and good recipes too!!!!

I didn`t make any goals for Dec.:blushing: , I just couldn`t think of anything. I did lose 2 of the 3 pounds gained:happy: , so I`m happy with that, I always got in at least 8 glasses of water:bigsmile: , I checked in here everyday:bigsmile: for my daily dose of Vit. F!!! , I continued my walking..even on those brrrr...cold mornings in the rain:happy:, I think Dec. was a good month all in all! I haven`t decided yet what my goals for Jan. will be, I will make some this month though and post them later.

Thanks to all my friends here who have helped me with the ups and downs of this roller coaster I`ve been on, it`s not been a lot of fun watching the scale go down and then come up over and over again...keeping my fingers crossed, the scale has gone down for the past 5 days...YAY, it hasn`t done that in a long time!!!

Hope you all have a wonderful day today, filled with joy and peace and happiness!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy New Year, Lovelies!:love:

Missed you, all so much, had to come back.
    Thank you Barbie for keeping us going, even after we've been gone:wink: Loved your don't expect... goal, I could sure use that one. Appreciate your honesty about the weight training, it's inspiring to see you never give up even when, like the rest of us, you don't achieve everything you set out to do. Thank YOU!:smooched:

Updated ticker and measurements to speak the truth. :embarassed: Changed long time "who will be a size 10 one day" to "of the heatlthier waist in 2013." :ohwell: Long past time to shake things up.:frown:

Will scan posts after I get down on that :heart:blessed:heart: mat,

Hugs,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD of the heatlthier waist in 2013.

2012: dance more (great), bark less (good) and check in!!! (needs work)

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    January: Log, move and listen!
  • sigmarhose
    sigmarhose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my 50+ Sisters! I am new to posting and a bit apprehensive. I, too, am somewhat of an introvert and tend to keep to myself. But I thought I would try reaching out to others who share the same goals-being fit and losing weight. This year I promise myself that I will not use myself as a punching bag, get rid of the negative thoughts about myself and love me for me. Life is too short to waste it being mean to yourself. I like the goal/month concept. A lot less overwhelming than trying to achieve a bajillion goals at once and not completing any of them. My goal this month: for each week complete a minimum of 120+minutes of aerobic exercise I will treat myself to a pedicure! And I really need a pedicure. :laugh:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy 2013!

I have woken up with renewed determination to get back on track and ignore my stresses in the workplace. January is a month of starting over and I get the added treat of seeing both of my daughters at Olivia's 1st birthday at the end of this month. DD #2 is flying down to Vegas from MN to be there because I am going to be there.:love:

I got a stomach bug yesterday and I am still achy, chills and feeling crappy today so I will start the month off without eating to much:wink:

Enjoy the new year!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello dear Pals, and Happy New Year's Day!

I am sitting here wondering what and how and shoulda and could I....in terms of making resolutions.
    It seems to me that the one resolution I need to make is just to log my food in MFP every day! I know what is healthy, and good, and reasonable...I know that I can "forget" what I eat if I don't make a plan; and I know that life interferes with the best laid food plans......so

my main resolution is to continue to do what I started 84 days ago...eat as cleanly and healthy as possible, log in here, and then take the next steps to a more active and healthy life!

My wishes are all for your following a healthy life too!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year all. Hope you are ok with a new member at this stage of your thread.
    I have been doing mfp for over a year and had been doing well, but have not been as sensible as I should over the holidays. So I thought I'd re-motivate and join a group of like-minded people who might help keep me motivated.
    My resolution is to get back to regular exercise, keep the calories down and get back to where I should be.
    I shall try to be positive!!!
    :wink:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you Barbie, for keeping this thread going. Of all MFPs, you have been an inspiration to me. Your losing weight and keeping it off at 62 spurs me on to get mine off before I reach 60. My daughters and I are determined to make a difference this year. Aren't new years a good time to get back on track?! A fresh outlook is always good. We hope each day can be a day of success as we lose weight together. Happy New Year!! :flowerforyou:
  • rka58
    rka58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. Hope this will help. I was always thin until I turned 40, then had to go on some meds which gave me a voracious appetite & subsequent weight gain. I've yoyo'ed over the last few years, but really want to get the weight off now. Not only am I disgusted with how I look & feel, yesterday I got the biggest positive jump I need to get the pounds off - I'm going to be a 1st time Grandma in August! Have to keep up with that baby!
  • saltymama
    saltymama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Group!! i would like to join your group! i'm 53 with a birthday coming up. I've been yo-yo ing between 189 and 199 for several months. My goal is to be solidly in the 180s by my birthday.. I am looking for a group to hang out with and share ideas about this journey! i lost 30 pounds in 2012. My current goal is to get to 180... about 12-15 lbs depending on the day. Once I get there I will no longer be in the "obese" category and will be "overweight" with a BMI under 30. Aiming for a 24 BMI eventually. :smile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks Barbie for keeping us going! I appreciate you.

How did I do with my resolutions for December? :smile: Well, I had thought to start my resolution in January 2013, but decided why not start on December 1st 2012! and ensure not to gain in December. Instead I lost weight. This has been such an encouragement to me. In 2005 I had lost 35 lbs in 5 months on a very healthy eating plan. I knew how to do it. Going through some, let's just say traumatic events since then, I gained all that back and more. Talk about emotional eating? Yep, that would be true.

What resolutions have I made for January? :smile:
    1. Given genetically high cholesterol I have decided to go more vegetarian. Vegetables are high in nutrients and low in calories. That should be win-win (or lose (lbs)-lose (inches), if you know what I mean):bigsmile: :bigsmile:

2. I will go back to being more active. Once winter is over, that would mean biking to/from work (30 km per day), but meanwhile, getting back to the gym and hitting the dreadmill, eliptical and weights.

3. Logging my food - daily

4. Getting my dose of Vitamin F right here on this forum as much as I can, although weekdays may not be always possible.

5. Posting the weekly "Veggie-Fruit Day Challenge" - I will post the challenge on Friday nights with the instructions for the next day's challenge.

Have a Happy and Healthy 2013!

:heart: Rebel :heart:
  • checkersmom
    Options
    hope this group can keep me motivated lost 30lbs and want to continue
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! Small changes bring great results.

January Goals toward weight loss in 2013

1. Achieve 8 glasses of water a day by end of the month.
    2. Walk dogs 3x a day minimum of 30 min each time.
    3. Zumba once a week class or DVD
    4. Log daily
    5.Take multivitamin
    6. Watch sodium intake. Keep under 2500
    7. Be positive, supportive of a healthier lifestyle.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Lila, JaneM, LindaSundance, Michele, DeeDee, Robin and... Rebel? So good to see:love: all your smiling faces still here.
    DID get down on the mat this morning, but passed on the miniwalks with Joe and the dogs, too afraid of slipping on the ice. When I fall, bones break. :ohwell:
    Reb, we're cutting back on the 4 footed protein a little here too. Dixie became mysteriously ill 3 weeks ago, after bloodwork, xrays and 2 separate all day on IV fluid experiences, the process of elimination diagnosis is Pancreatitis, :sad: triggered by either getting all 3 meds at once (instead of spread out through the day), or from getting the fat from a ham hock. :sick: She's doing much better on a bland low fat diet, and Joe's on board with that. :happy: Amazing! He said it was a wakeup call for him, he'd been eating way more meat than is good for him. :noway: So Christmas day it was enchiladas with skim mozzarella and Morningstar crumbles. Day before yesterday, Boca Burgers. The only red meat we've had since was some rotisseried lamb kebabs. It will be a challenge though, one of the best lowfat protein sources is beans, which Joe resists because they "clean him out" so thoroughly and frequently.:huh:
    Will check out Reb's fruit and veggie challenge, but for now I'm gonna take a nap.:yawn:
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It appears MFP is having a bad start to the new year - took 3 tries to post this and the photo upload crashed several times as well. Let's hope MFP isn't starting the year the way it intends to continue..... Here goes try number 4

Happy first day of 2013 ladies of the journey.

I used my new Christmas gifts and made sushi last night. DD1 and FSIL gave me rolling mats, really good Nori and sushi rice, a pretty selection of hashi to use and a hand made serving dish (see the picture on my profile – lol). It was fun and time consuming so I doubt if I will do it more than a couple of times a month. But the nori is so good for you! The rolls aren’t too bad in calories depending on what you put in them, the smoked salmon ones are a bit high, but hey – it’s my old friend salmon.

December goals
    1. more fiber in diet – yes, did well with this (and the water)
    2. exercise increase – ok but still not regular enough
    3. maintain weight under 140 for December – managed but now need to get back down 2# to 137 again
    4. enjoy the Christmas experience with family – live in the moment – was a great lowkey time

I think I did fine with my December goals, now on to the January ones.
    January goals
    1. next goal weight 135 before Feb 13
    2. exercise increase every day – more than just walking my dogs and cleaning house
    3. water – a minimum of 8 glasses per day and get up to 9 glasses often
    4. maintain a positive outlook – January and February can be long and hard

Deb A – wow, you are just about there according to your ticker and your post tells me it was a good journey in retrospect. I hope it was good along the way as well.
    Janielou21, kathy2924 and mary8n8– welcome and we definitely are supportive and you seem to have posted just fine. You too mshuggys drkatiebug, sigmarhose and gramzto12! Come and visit us often and chat about your lives, your challenges and your victories.

LilliemaesMom – I’m assuming that cute dog might be LillyMae? Oops, saw your next post and I guess she is. Some of us are on specific programs and some just are working the healthier and less calories program. Some are really, really good at exercise too!!!!

CA1954 – we’re here for you.

BJMcQ – great photo on the profile. But I’m just hanging on until spring and greenery.

Katla – resolution #1 easy, #2 doable! (not a word but hey, no one’s checking are they?)

LindaC – we’re all at your Chinese drop in in spirit. Enjoy your day.

Barbara AHMOD – glad to see you back. Missed you.

Hi Robin, hope you feel better soon. You have a good month end treat to look forward to.

JeanettteMac – always happy to see a new thread member. Come and visit often. Join the Vitamin F club.

Wow, there are so many new members, too many to mention – welcome to everyone!!!!!!
    The more the merrier. (and no, you don’t have to respond to everyone)

Rebel – I’m on board for the Fruit/Veggie challenge – looking forward to Friday night to see what it entails.

Well, I have logged my day, now just need to go eat it. And get the exercise going. Need to start the year the way I intend it to go.

See you all later.
    Lila
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy New year!!
    Welcome all the new people.
    My goals-to be honest with my food.Once it`s added up ,no more.
    No late time eating.
    Eat more during the day and less at night.
    Exercise every day.
    Get to the gym more.
    Be grateful for all of you on this thread.
    HUGS
    jane
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Tried to faithfully log the New Year eve's party. Realized I'd forgotten the chocolate chip cookie I'd eaten - brought me up to 2680 for the day. Darn. Fitbit says I burned 2187 for the day so that's technically 493 extra calories in one day. I am 108 extra calories since my last weigh in - so technically if I can accumulate at least a 108 calorie deficit between now and my Friday morning weigh in, I shouldn't show a gain. I'm on it!!! I could realistically still manage a slight loss if I'm good for 3 days :smile:

I haven't set goals or resolutions yet. Last year was to ride my horse 100 times. I failed - my last ride was 70. Fell short big time. Wondering if I should set the same goal. Last year I was injured early in the year and lost 2 months of riding.

Hope everyone has a great start to the new year.
  • sassmo
    sassmo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! Thanks to all you ladies for keeping the inspirations going. I've been a member for going on four months now and feel I have learned a lot. Whenever I've felt down, I've always found something upbeat and motivating from logging on. I also enjoy recipe ideas.

January Resolutions
    Drink more water!! Maybe not 8 glasses, but try for four
    Continue exercise bike, walking, and stretch bands
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Would love to be a part of this thread. I have been on MFP for a little over a year now. Had great sucess in the begining but.............now I'm ready for a new begining. My husband faced some very serious health issues this past year and I can now tell you that I am definitely a stress eater! Thankfully he is doing well now and we have our first grandbaby coming soon. Both good reason's to get back on this horse and try again!
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    DebA - I also had never "talked" with others on a website before this thread..I am so grateful to have found it and all of you

Linder- Hope you enjoyed the party

Nancy(TN) - what a great way to think of the #13

Eileen - Beautiful picture

BJ - cheers!

Sigmarhose - what an awesome treat to give yourself for meeting your goal

Robin - Feel better soon

Rebel - Congrats on your weight loss..Count me in ..will you be posting the challenge on this thread?

LJ Schmitt - WOW 100#s- fantastic! Grandkids have a way of getting us motivated

DeeDee - weight loss and inches! Awesome!

Texasgal - Love the message and graphics - hugs

For everyone who is new - welcome!

Take care everyone - I have to run - enjoy this new beginning

Colleen
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Happy Healthy 2013 everyone
    Been MIA from this thread since last June.
    My goals for 2013 are short and sweet.
    Happy and Healthy.
    Make me #1 priority.This one is tough for me!!!!!!!
    I'm thinking if I follow these 3 things.
    I will lose.
    Joyce