Pepsi addict! Help!!

Options

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda,, just quit all soda.

I've lost 60 pounds in five months while drinking six cans of diet soda a day. I do not get cravings. I am not hungry between meals. I do not eat more than I did when I drank regular soda many many years ago. While they may have found some people that appear to get cravings for the "calories not provided", I refuse to believe this is how all people react to artificial sweeteners. I refuse to believe that if I ate the exact same calories and did the exact same exercise, but substituted my six diet sodas with six regular sodas (900 calories for Pepsi) that they would be better for my weight loss. Sorry, but the numbers don't lie in that case. Some people drink alcohol in moderation and are fine while others subsequently can't put it down and become alcoholics. Every person reacts differently to things. *My* diet has been just fine with diet soda. It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how, but no one is going to make me believe that for me "diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda." Sorry, but my scale says otherwise.

People refused to think that the world was round and that the Earth revolved around the sun...how could that be?
    Because they were told it without actual science to back it up.:laugh:
    Okay, but in all seriousness though, there are studies shown to link that it has contributed to weight gain, and other things that contributed to poor health. Were the results the same for everyone? No. Because that's not how life or research works. You obviously still lost weight. Doesn't mean that you should dismiss other evidence.

I'm sure other peoples scales could be contradictory to your story, as well.

Everyone is different.
    Car accidents are directly linked to driving. Does that mean that everyone that drives WILL get into a car accident? Of course not. The "potential" and "possibility" is there, but it's not definitive. See the difference?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

First, they did have scientific evidence. The church persecuted them for conducting in such blasphemous activities.

But anyway, I never said that without a doubt that you WILL absolutely gain weight, but there is proof there that other people have.

Sheesh.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda,, just quit all soda.

I've lost 60 pounds in five months while drinking six cans of diet soda a day. I do not get cravings. I am not hungry between meals. I do not eat more than I did when I drank regular soda many many years ago. While they may have found some people that appear to get cravings for the "calories not provided", I refuse to believe this is how all people react to artificial sweeteners. I refuse to believe that if I ate the exact same calories and did the exact same exercise, but substituted my six diet sodas with six regular sodas (900 calories for Pepsi) that they would be better for my weight loss. Sorry, but the numbers don't lie in that case. Some people drink alcohol in moderation and are fine while others subsequently can't put it down and become alcoholics. Every person reacts differently to things. *My* diet has been just fine with diet soda. It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how, but no one is going to make me believe that for me "diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda." Sorry, but my scale says otherwise.

People refused to think that the world was round and that the Earth revolved around the sun...how could that be?

Okay, but in all seriousness though, there are studies shown to link that it has contributed to weight gain, and other things that contributed to poor health. Were the results the same for everyone? No. Because that's not how life or research works. You obviously still lost weight. Doesn't mean that you should dismiss other evidence.

Everyone is different.

Thank you for reiterating what I just said. Did you read my comment at all?
    While they may have found some people that appear to get cravings for the "calories not provided", I refuse to believe this is how all people react to artificial sweeteners
    Every person reacts differently to things.
    It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how...

I said the exact same thing you just threw back at me. Everyone is different.

I was pointing out that it's weird to dismiss that it can contribute to weight gain just because it didn't happen to you. Like you said, everyone is different,but in the same breath you say you refuse to believe that anyone else could have different results from you.

Again. Did you read it? I *never* said I dismissed it. I said it doesn't affect *my* diet. I said "It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how..." How the heck is me saying it may affect some people's weight loss dismissing that it may affect some people's weight loss???

LOL

I did but apparently not correctly. Thats what a hangover and 3 hours of sleep does to ya I guess. I thought you said
    "It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how, but no one is going to make me believe that "diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda."

I was like wuhhh?

I was thinking the same thing to your response. It was like I said "That's blue" and someone told me, "No it's not, it's blue."

Maybe we should have a moratorium on posting anything on New Year's Day. LOL
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    my suggestion for quitting soda: 4 steps:

1. Stop buying it.
    2. Stop drinking it.
    3. Drink other things like water with lemon, or water with a raspberry tea bag in it.
    4. profit
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Everyone is different.

Thank you for reiterating what I just said. Did you read my comment at all?
    While they may have found some people that appear to get cravings for the "calories not provided", I refuse to believe this is how all people react to artificial sweeteners
    Every person reacts differently to things.
    It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how...

I said the exact same thing you just threw back at me. Everyone is different.

I was pointing out that it's weird to dismiss that it can contribute to weight gain just because it didn't happen to you. Like you said, everyone is different,but in the same breath you say you refuse to believe that anyone else could have different results from you.

Again. Did you read it? I *never* said I dismissed it. I said it doesn't affect *my* diet. I said "It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how..." How the heck is me saying it may affect some people's weight loss dismissing that it may affect some people's weight loss???

LOL

I did but apparently not correctly. Thats what a hangover and 3 hours of sleep does to ya I guess. I thought you said
    "It may seem to affect some people's weight loss some how, but no one is going to make me believe that "diet drinks are worse for you when you are trying to lose weight than regular soda."

I was like wuhhh?

I was thinking the same thing to your response. It was like I said "That's blue" and someone told me, "No it's not, it's blue."

Maybe we should have a moratorium on posting anything on New Year's Day. LOL

:laugh: Haha, yeah. I think that'd be a good idea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

Everyone is different.
    Car accidents are directly linked to driving. Does that mean that everyone that drives WILL get into a car accident? Of course not. The "potential" and "possibility" is there, but it's not definitive. See the difference?

IDEA Fitness member

First, they did have scientific evidence. The church persecuted them for conducting in such blasphemous activities.
    Well, it's true that a few actually knew the truth and it was suppressed by the churches. But once science was actually accepted as being proof.............well we know what happened from there.
    But anyway, I never said that without a doubt that you WILL absolutely gain weight, but there is proof there that other people have.

Sheesh.
    No there isn't PROOF, there correlation. There's a difference.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Everyone is different.

IDEA Fitness member

Well, it's true that a few actually knew the truth and it was suppressed by the churches. But once science was actually accepted as being proof.............well we know what happened from there.

Sheesh.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, okay then. There is sufficient CORRELATION to SUGGEST that DIET SODAS impact WEIGHT LOSS. Better?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't drink more water, This is a sure fire way to DIE!

Stick with the soda, it will have carbonation and other factors that will force you to drink it slower and limit your chance of dieing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am a former Pepsi addict. I used to drink 2 bottles of 20oz Pepsi everyday for more than 20yrs. It has been 1 yr and I honestly do not miss it. I used it as an energy booster from getting a quick sugar high. I just made a conscious decision to stop when I wanted to start losing weight. As I dropped the pounds & started exercising, I discovered I had energy. I drink water. I initially drank seltzer or sparkling water for the carbonation fizz because I lenjoyed that from my Pepsi. Eventually, I started just drinking plain water. The major down side to drinking lots of water is the need to constantly void . You learn to make adjustments. I really believe kicking the soda habit really contributed to my initial loss of 10lbs.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Why drink soda and possibly increase your risk of stroke and heart attack... when you can drink beer !

Atleast beer only destroys one organ(liver)... while stroke and heart attack destroy heart+mind.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Everyone is different.

IDEA Fitness member

Sheesh.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, okay then. There is sufficient CORRELATION to SUGGEST that DIET SODAS impact WEIGHT LOSS. Better?
    Yes.:wink: On a public forum, correct information should be given so that people can make the right decision for themselves. Whichever way they want to go with it, it's best to post correct information that can be verified rather than just state opinion. I don't think your professor of law would disagree.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Everyone is different.

IDEA Fitness member

Sheesh.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes.:wink: On a public forum, correct information should be given so that people can make the right decision for themselves. Whichever way they want to go with it, it's best to post correct information that can be verified rather than just state opinion. I don't think your professor of law would disagree.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

I never stated that diet soda CAUSED weight loss. However, I would agree that I didn't make my point very clear. I'm not a law major, btw ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why drink soda and possibly increase your risk of stroke and heart attack... when you can drink beer !

Atleast beer only destroys one organ(liver)... while stroke and heart attack destroy heart+mind.
    I bet I could pull up more deaths directly related to beer drinking (drunk driving) than possible death from diet soda.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Amen!:drinker:
  • lwagnitz
    Options

I bet I could pull up more deaths directly related to beer drinking (drunk driving) than possible death from diet soda.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

No, just a correlation :wink:
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Only because pathologists did not know to document Diet Soda Intake on the autopsy forms from all of the people who have died of stroke and heart attacks since the birth of diet soda. :bigsmile:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Don't drink more water, This is a sure fire way to DIE!

Stick with the soda, it will have carbonation and other factors that will force you to drink it slower and limit your chance of dieing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
    Seriously, I prefer green tea with some lemon......and I log it in as water.
    Regarding diet soda, I just have a lack of trust for the stuff. I fear it's unhealthy.
    Just a feeling - nothing more.
    If you folks enjoy it, you have my blessings...
    :drinker:
    Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum, spatium verae et fructuosae poenitentiæ, cor semper penitens, et emendationem vitae, gratiam et consolationem Sancti Spiritus; et finalem perseverantiam in bonis operibus tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus.
    AMEN
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda but I used to be addicted to icee's. I just stopped drinking them cold turkey. Now when I try just a sip of my husbands, it tastes so sweet it makes my lips pucker.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I don't think the craving for soda is illigitimate.
    Really, I think we crave the acids, especially with certain meals, like meat meals.
    You could try kombucha, it's a cultured tea that contains a wide range of acids and other nutrients, including b12.
    It's natural. It's available in many brands, but my all time fav is GT Dave's.
    This is a healthy habit, although the drinks are not cheap.
    However, you can make it yourself. I have a batch brewing right now!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

nope. because correlation =/= causation.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

nope. because correlation =/= causation.

.......:huh: