Pepsi addict! Help!!

Options

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to avoid pop more, especially Mountain Dew. I'm done drinking the free pop my boyfriend's brother gives us and not wasting my money on it. Water, water, and water!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Lol, okay then. There is sufficient CORRELATION to SUGGEST that DIET SODAS impact WEIGHT LOSS. Better?

nope. because correlation =/= causation.

.......:huh:

sorry. I guess the correct answer is that, yes, what you said it better.

but I'm not sure that there actually is enough of anything to prove that, ingested in a realistic amount, diet soda has any negative impact on the majority of the population. (because dosage does matter, despite most studies just using copious amounts of ______ to prove that _____ is, in fact, bad.)

the go-to seems to be that diet soda makes you crave other sweet things, so you gorge yourself on said sweet things. my thinking is that, if the diet soda does, somehow, make you crave anything, that's on you. either realize that is the catalyst for your binge or use more self control the next time you pop a pepsi max.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just. Quit. Cold. Turkey. Don't buy it, don't have it. It is really irritating to your nervous and adrenal systems, and a waste of money. My 13-year old daughter and I quit ALL soda several months ago, except an occasional treat of a splash of sparkling water in cranberry juice. Our cravings have diminished substantially since. Food tastes better and we need less because we can really taste it. I found that I needed very cold beverages at first. For the few days of caffeine-withdrawal headaches, I took a low dose of the over-the-counter painkiller for migraines - it has a little caffeine in it. The headaches only lasted a few day. TOTALLY worth it. Just a few days ago, we were on a road trip and I gave myself permission to get a soda for the trip. I only took 3 sips of it - it tasted gross to me.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Lol, okay then. There is sufficient CORRELATION to SUGGEST that DIET SODAS impact WEIGHT LOSS. Better?

nope. because correlation =/= causation.

.......:huh:

sorry. I guess the correct answer is that, yes, what you said it better.

but I'm not sure that there actually is enough of anything to prove that, ingested in a realistic amount, diet soda has any negative impact on the majority of the population. (because dosage does matter, despite most studies just using copious amounts of ______ to prove that _____ is, in fact, bad.)

the go-to seems to be that diet soda makes you crave other sweet things, so you gorge yourself on said sweet things. my thinking is that, if the diet soda does, somehow, make you crave anything, that's on you. either realize that is the catalyst for your binge or use more self control the next time you pop a pepsi max.

There is speculation as to why, yes. And there is a correlation, then suggesting that the weight gain and the diet soda relate somehow. It seems to be how/and why is up for debate.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My rule is if you can't see through it, don't drink it!
  • FiestyIrish
    Options
    I gave up my Diet Cokes cold turkey about two months ago. The caffeine headaches weren't pleasant, but they stopped after about a week. I started drinking just water and saw a difference in my skin around the two week mark. It just looked brighter and healthier. Now, I don't even want sodas. If I want a little flavor, I just have some no added sugar apple juice or some chocolate soymilk. It does take commitment, but I promise you'll enjoy the changes it brings to your energy and health. And soon, those sodas won't even be a thought in your mind.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet (force yourself) and then switch off several months later.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

so mtn dew/diet mtn dew is still in. sweet.
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    I was a Coke addict since I was a teen, drinking about 2L a day. I dropped from regular to diet when I first started this MFP and thought I was gonna hurl! However, I found that by adding copius amounts of lemon juice or lime juice it significantly changed the flavour for me I still drink lots but it is all diet with the juice!
    I have lost about 40 lbs even with drinking all the pop!
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was drinking about 5 20oz Dr. Peppers a day. It was basically my only liquid intake. I cut down to one a day, then one a week. I dropped 20lbs just by cutting the soda. I haven't had one in almost 2 years. All I drink now is water, club soda, black coffee and the occasional Monster Absolute Zero.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Coke Zero is the best, curbs my sweet tooth. Just drink diet sodas. Doesn't mean that's all you should drink though, nothing better than good ol' H20.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you can find a way to watch it, I'd highly recommend "Hungry For Change". The extreme changes may not be for everyone, but certainly the documentary addresses A LOT of great health issues. Sugar being one of them! Diet Pop (diet soda) being another.

Best of luck to you!

I am officially diet pop free since watching this documentary! (and of course regular pop).
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    If you can find a way to watch it, I'd highly recommend "Hungry For Change". The extreme changes may not be for everyone, but certainly the documentary addresses A LOT of great health issues. Sugar being one of them! Diet Pop (diet soda) being another.

Best of luck to you!

I am officially diet pop free since watching this documentary! (and of course regular pop).

...I've seen it. Scared the crap out of me....but eh.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That's a huge amount of calories from cola. I would quit it cold turkey and just guzzle water instead. Drink coffee or Yerba Mate if you need the caffeine fix.

I was drinking diet soda before getting into my routine (around 2 cans a day). At first I changed to only drinking it on the weekends, but now I've probably cut it out 95% .... perhaps I will have the odd can at a restaurant or in a mixed drink but I no longer buy them with my groceries.

My thinking is that if I'm always drinking water then I'm always in training mode and it's just easier to stay compliant.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mine was mt dew. however i dont suggest doing what i did to quit drinking it which was coming down with strep. wasnt my choice but i stopped drinking it while i had strep and just didnt go back to it. i drank like 2 24oz bottles a day and now i drink less than 24oz a week and i only drink it when i start to get a mirgaine

good luck to you
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Can't see through milk.........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lwagnitz
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Many people would argue not to drink milk lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Many people would argue not to drink milk lol
    I know I can't because of lactose intolerance (but I can drink Lactaid), but overall milk is a pretty good choice.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Can't see through coffee or most teas...