If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options
Silly question, but I am being partially serious! :smile:

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Not far at all, sadly. I make it about one minute, fifteen seconds of actual running (jogging, really, if I'm being honest) and I have walk. That bear would have my *kitten* in no time.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    hopefully farther than the bear
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Nowhere! I would have to try and fight him off with my walking stick.
    :laugh:
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    if i was with somone elese id only have to out run them lol but being chased by a bear im sure would bring out your inner flojo no matter how fit you were lol
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.

How far is the nearest tree?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When you hit the wall, bear or no bear, it's hard to keep going
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I could run at least 10 miles. I ran 7-miles Sunday -- even though I was completely exhausted and tired after only 1.5-miles haha.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can run, but I don't think I can outrun a bear.

I did my first half in November.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My knees start hurting between mile 12 and mile 15. I don't go further than than. I think the bear would catch me at that point. I have a trick for when my legs get tired: switch strides. Learn to run with a toe strike, a heal strike, and a mid-foot strike. You can switch strides when your legs start to fatigue and you'll notice an immediate freshness because different strides used your muscles differently.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    far enough to find the first car I see and hot-wire it in time to get out. (can't run too long!!)
    climb a tree (if bears can climb trees...twas nice knowing you all)
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    As far as I would need to to overtake someone else!!!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I can run just a little bit faster than whomever I'm with at the time. Sorry pal, you're lunch.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options

Lol.

How far is the nearest tree?

But bears are good climbers! :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would totally die within 5 minutes. Same with the Zombie Apocalypse. Although, at least if I were turned into a zombie, I'd have a chance to take a few other slow pokes out with me before I got double-tapped. Hah.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't have to outrun the bear - I just have to outrun (or trip) you.
  • Fat2fitplease
    Options
    Id be the one everyone is out-running or pushing down
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I will never ever run. I'd rather get fat than run.

Anyway, I'll resort to my other exercise activities - rock climbing and weapons training. I'll take my chances with a broadsword against the bear. If that fails, I'll climb a tree. Oh yeah, I'd also throw my kettlebell at it. And my plate weights.

:D

I tell a lie - I did try out minimalist running just to see if it was BS or not.
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hah! I've done these zombie tag games in the city I live near, and if running from bears is anything like running from "zombies", not long. It's the full out sprinting that you have to do to stay alive that kills me. I can run slow and steady for a long time, but being chased is a whole other ballgame.

So if the bear would go nice and slow, about an hour and a half (7 miles at my pace). If the bear was sprinting, about two minutes.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your done. They run faster than us in short spurts.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    After seeing a full-grown grizzly running right by me this year at Grand Teton NP, I don't think I would have a chance. Fortunately we were in the car stopped on the side of the road. Those things can move!