If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Right past the nearest other person...... thats all it would take.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That's a silly question. I would never go walking anywhere a bear could attack me.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would run about as long as it took him to catch me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    not very
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Id be the first one eaten :sad:
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In a South Dakota Winter? Not far before my lungs shattered.

(Of course, no bear would dare chase me in Winter; he'd be sleeping.)

Debilitating weather aside, it doesn't really matter if I could run at least a mile under normal circumstances, I have a tendency to freeze in frightening situations. I'd be bear dinner for sure.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I would be toast. I run with my husband who is bigger and faster than me. I know the rule on not running, so when I don't run, and he does, the bear will go after me because I am the easier target. And I know he will run because once we were snorkeling on an island in the Great Barrier Reef and came nose to snorkels with a saltwater crocodile. Guess who left me in the water with a Salty while he swam away as fast as he could? My adorable husband, that's who. Okay, so it was only about 5 feet long and was stuffed full of tropical fish and just sort of chilling and floating. But it was a Salty, and those things eat people...

So, in short, I'd be a goner.

Not if you stick out your foot and trip him, then run away.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    7 minutes then I'd have to walk for 60 seconds then I could run for another 7 minutes...
    Hopefully the bear is doing C25K.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Not very far. I'd be bear dinner and the bear would be on MFP calculating how many calories there are in a Kimi.
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Far enough to bearly escape ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not very far. I'd be bear dinner and the bear would be on MFP calculating how many calories there are in a Kimi.

:laugh: You should be nice and create an entry calculating your own calorie content!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of bear?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i think I'd let 'em catch me...
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but I am being partially serious! :smile:

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.
    This made me laugh! I often say to people if you can walk you can run and then I say you would run if you were being chased! Some people say - unless you can fight!! I know how you feel though my husband says to me "when we go running can we not stop but just keep plodding along?" He actually thinks I want to stop running! I HAVE to stop as I can't breathe. Best for me to run on my own I think!! I hope you get some sound sensible advice on here...........................................
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    About 8 feet. Bears are considerably faster than humans.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What kind of bear?

Good question, I guess it is safe to assume teddy bears are out of the question?
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options

LOL. If we're distributing prizes for Most Clever Response, this post wins. ;)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of bear?

Good question, I guess it is safe to assume teddy bears are out of the question?

I could definitely outrun a teddy bear. I have done it.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My knees start hurting between mile 12 and mile 15. I don't go further than than. I think the bear would catch me at that point. I have a trick for when my legs get tired: switch strides. Learn to run with a toe strike, a heal strike, and a mid-foot strike. You can switch strides when your legs start to fatigue and you'll notice an immediate freshness because different strides used your muscles differently.

That actually sounds cool. No serious damage or anything to the muscle? I've just started running this past month and I wonder if this would work for my leg fatigue.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Given that a Grizzly bear can run 35 miles an hour .. I dont care what kind of shape you're in ... If a bear was chasing you, you are not running very far.

Time = Starting Distance Apart / Speed difference
    Your Running Distance = Time * Your Running Speed

if you have a 100 yd head start and can run 12 MPH:

Time For the Bear to Catch Up to You = .0568 Miles / 23 MPH = 8.89 Seconds
    Your Distance = Time for the Bear to Catch Up to you * 12 = 156.5 Feet