If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This is not a silly question, but just so everyone knows, don't run. I live in bear country and this is a big issue for hikers. Don't run.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    So apparently a bear isnt good motivation since they are faster than us. How about a skunk? How far could you run to avoid being sprayed by a skunk?

How far the skunk can run + additional 10 metres, does that answer your question?
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    This is not a silly question, but just so everyone knows, don't run. I live in bear country and this is a big issue for hikers. Don't run.

What do you suggest? I know if a black bear would come running towards me I would deploy my self defense mechanism...****ting my pants
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to take up target practice....this confirms it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    2 miles and a bit, assuming that was one slow-*kitten* bear. My running pace is slower than some people's walking pace!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    well, if it was my life, or the bear eating, im sure i could probably save my own @$$..i have run from things that scared me before, and when the adrenaline gets going, you can do things you never thought you could do..
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

What do you suggest? I know if a black bear would come running towards me I would deploy my self defense mechanism...****ting my pants
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped my running. My 10k pace for 10 years was always around 10min/mile... with yoga I have gotten it down to 8:45 :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could bear if this situation happened.

Certainly, it makes you paws for thought.

Although, when this happens, my thoughts get a little fuzzy.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe 15 ft. There's no way I could outrun a bear.
    Course if there's someone with me, I would only have to run faster than them. That's not how I roll, though, I would try to distract the bear so my friend could get out of there.

And really, if a bear attacks you, you're supposed to defend yourself. If it's a momma bear, though, you're toasters.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe 15 ft. There's no way I could outrun a bear.
    Course if there's someone with me, I would only have to run faster than them. That's not how I roll, though, I would try to distract the bear so my friend could get out of there.

And really, if a bear attacks you, you're supposed to defend yourself. If it's a momma bear, though, you're toasters.

I thought you were supposed to play dead for a day attack (which is usually a defensive attack) and fight back if it's a night attack (which is usually a predatory attack).

Now I'm all confused. I hope I never need to know either way.

Edit: And if a bear ever does charge me, I hope I'm well-armed. No assault rifle ban, please.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I can only go about maybe a half-mile. I'm just too heavy. I'd be forced to stop and fight him at which point I would certainly lose.

Yes, the thought of this is simply unbearable. :drinker:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Re suggestion request: I could make you a whole list of preventing and dealing with bear encounters but they vary on what is most effective depending on whether you are dealing with a grizzly or a black bear. Also depends on if you have surprised a bear or if the bear has been stalking you as prey.

Here is a link to a how to deal with a grizzly attack (the really dangerous kind): http://www.glacier-national-park-travel-guide.com/grizzly-bear-attack.html. Yes, you can and should use bear spray IF THE BEAR CHARGES YOU. They don't stalk as much as black bears from what I hear, but they do not like surprises. Many encounters will result in the bear leaving the area if they know you are coming (from hearing you) and thus will not result in a bear attack at all.

If you are dealing with a black bear, you want the bear to know you are human. Black bear attacks are more common but less likely to cause major injury. If a bear enters your camp, make a lot of noise. If you're on a trail, talk to the bear and slowly back away from the bear (don't make eye contact). You can drop things on the ground to distract the bear (not food or your entire pack). You want the bear to know that you are not easy prey should the bear become aggressive.

The biggest things are not to hike alone and to make a lot of noise while you are hiking like clapping, shouting, bells, etc. so you don't alarm a bear (especially a sow with cubs). Store food AWAY from your sleeping areas in bear-safe containers. It really does take a lot of research to do back country hiking and camping safely.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Re suggestion request: I could make you a whole list of preventing and dealing with bear encounters but they vary on what is most effective depending on whether you are dealing with a grizzly or a black bear. Also depends on if you have surprised a bear or if the bear has been stalking you as prey.

Here is a link to a how to deal with a grizzly attack (the really dangerous kind): http://www.glacier-national-park-travel-guide.com/grizzly-bear-attack.html. Yes, you can and should use bear spray IF THE BEAR CHARGES YOU. They don't stalk as much as black bears from what I hear, but they do not like surprises. Many encounters will result in the bear leaving the area if they know you are coming (from hearing you) and thus will not result in a bear attack at all.

If you are dealing with a black bear, you want the bear to know you are human. Black bear attacks are more common but less likely to cause major injury. If a bear enters your camp, make a lot of noise. If you're on a trail, talk to the bear and slowly back away from the bear (don't make eye contact). You can drop things on the ground to distract the bear (not food or your entire pack). You want the bear to know that you are not easy prey should the bear become aggressive.

The biggest things are not to hike alone and to make a lot of noise while you are hiking like clapping, shouting, bells, etc. so you don't alarm a bear (especially a sow with cubs). Store food AWAY from your sleeping areas in bear-safe containers. It really does take a lot of research to do back country hiking and camping safely.

Thanks for the info, will remember to not hike alone and make sure those that do come along carry the food and are slower than me. :drinker:

On a more serious note, OP I think what would be a more appropriate answer is to run from a serial killer....
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Do you have to count how soon you would fall flat on your face while running?
    Because that seems to happen a lot to me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I could run pretty far however considering a bear can run 35MPH and climb trees I think I'd still be toast. :tongue:

However I think the REAL answer to the question is: I only have to outrun you. :laugh:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think I can do about 7 miles....but very slowly! Haven't been training like I should.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Bears can run pretty fast...

Aren't you supposed to play dead?
  • jlynn8684
    Options
    Not very far, sad.... I would become bear food :(

I am going to work on changing that though!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not very far. I would wrestle the bear instead.