If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Not far at all, but I can climb a tree real fast, and probably trip someone on the way to give myself more time.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    to the gun cabinet. the real question is, could i get the gun loaded before the bear ate me good arm.

in all seriousness, not very far though Im adept at tree climbing so Id probably head for the nearest tree and hurl squirrels at the bear until it was sated or left.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but I am being partially serious! :smile:

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.

How far is the nearest tree?

But bears are good climbers! :)

Outrun and trip the nearest guy and make sure to have my cellphone ready for a viral youtube video

I like your thinking on so many levels. :D
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Our bears don't run, they drop ... and they rarely miss, so you're pretty much stuffed.
    :tongue:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    35mph??? They can climb trees? Buggerit, I'll make sure I have more than one sword on me just in case.
    Note: if a bear ever charges at you, don't run!

Because he'll apply to the local court to have your assets seized? Oh, wait, you meant...

You must be in law school? Bad law humor is a hallmark of our kind.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    If it was a black bear, you are to make yourself as large as possible - raise your arms, make as much noise as possible and fight like hell if they nab you.. A grizzley - play dead.
    However, if a any bear decides he is going to chase you - you're pretty much toast. They can run, climb, swim faster than any human.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Well, I actually have a true life bear story to share. I was out for a 10 mile training run. It was hot and hilly. I kept stopping to walk.
    On the way back (it was an out and back course) I was walking more -my legs just felt "dead". Thought I may have to walk the remainder (4+ miles) back, when all of a sudden a huge black bear meanered out of the woods and slowly crossed the road just in front of me. I didn't know what to do, where to run and I literally was in the middle of the woods. Prayed he wouldn't get a wiff of me, now grateful for the strong headwind I was cursing moments ago, so I waited until he had meandered further into the bush and then ran like hell the rest of the way home. At one point, I thought "funny, my legs don't feel dead anymore". Best negative split ever! :laugh:

That is absolutely terrifying!! If I lived where bears roamed, I would probably pick another form of exercise! :)
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is why you should always run with a partner, and make sure they're slower than you. ;)
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think for most people if a bear was chasing them adrenaline would kick in and you would be able to run faster and farther then you think. however, I feel depending on how determined the bear was after the first kick of adrenaline, I better be able to find a place to hide cause I cant ran very far as of right now...I am going to start training for runs in a couple weeks...so hopefully by summer and camping season I can run away from those bears lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Distance wouldn't matter because I could never run as fast as a bear.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I could run three miles. But I couldn't escape that bear. It'd catch me in seconds. =(
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Climbing a tree is only a good idea if you are light enough to climb past where a bear would climb. Cubs do this to avoid being killed my males. They climb out onto the branches that a full grown bear would break. So if you are 90 lbs or less, and you can scramble up a tree like a kid from the tropics, this might work.

Yes, I have given way too much thought to escaping bears since my last bear incident.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Run? I'd just sick my Sasquatch on em!!! :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    The most I've ever run is 9 miles but I am training for my first half marathon; I'd like to say if a bear was chasing me, I could run a little further and say I'd make it 13 miles at this point. However, I have trouble running the fastest out of the gate and slowing as I go...that is what I'm working on now...starting slower and speeding up as I go.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    "I'm wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    So apparently a bear isnt good motivation since they are faster than us. How about a skunk? How far could you run to avoid being sprayed by a skunk?
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    35mph??? They can climb trees? Buggerit, I'll make sure I have more than one sword on me just in case.
    Note: if a bear ever charges at you, don't run!

Because he'll apply to the local court to have your assets seized? Oh, wait, you meant...

You must be in law school? Bad law humor is a hallmark of our kind.

Hehe. No, unfortunately. I have no excuse for my poor humour. :D
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A bear run in excess of 30 MPH so you wouldn't run far at all! I actually live in a house where we constatly have bears in our backyard and getting into our trash, I see them all the time and think **** I can't outrun that bear LOL
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could bear if this situation happened.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I don't think I could bear if this situation happened.

Certainly, it makes you paws for thought.