so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Mine is still pretty empty. I did see a new guy and who I'd guess was his daughter working out. Both were seriously overweight. I made sure I said hi and asked how it was going. Hope they come back.
  • Wendydelmo
    Wendydelmo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I saw JOIN!

:)
  • Wendydelmo
    Wendydelmo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing judgmental stuff liek this. I wrote a post about it: http://weightsover.com/a-note-to-gym-rats/
    And it's why I quit my `st gym 8 years ago and didn't go again until last year. Let's share some support and love- not know the newbies!
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, I run/walk outside (I'm in Florida currently, so no nasty weather, I go out in shorts and short sleeves). I have noticed a lot more people out and about, but it's obviously not really bothersome as there's plenty of open air for all of us!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    alot of you are complaining about the "newbies" crowding the gym because they use the machines wrong or longer than normal... well, guess what, im at the gym daily, and guess who i see clogging up the machines? i see the desperate houseives, who are also there everyday, sitting on machines, with thier pretty little hair-do's, perfect make-up, and nice matching gym outfits... batting thier eyes and chatting it up with every man that walks by... not using the machines, just "staging" themself in cute positions on them. this morning, these 2 cackling hens were literally sitting on the 2 machines that i use, having a very in depth conversation, never actually using the machine, for atleast 15 minutes. i went ahead and did my other workouts before i decided to go stand right in front of them as if i was listening in, only to let them know that IM WAITING IN LINE FOR "THIER SEAT"... then they got up and took thier conversation to another set of machines... these 2 are there every morning as well... its not the "newbies" who are crowding the gym, its people in gerneral who are not there to work hard, and obviously are there for other reasons...
  • Candylips70
    Options
    alot of you are complaining about the "newbies" crowding the gym because they use the machines wrong or longer than normal... well, guess what, im at the gym daily, and guess who i see clogging up the machines? i see the desperate houseives, who are also there everyday, sitting on machines, with thier pretty little hair-do's, perfect make-up, and nice matching gym outfits... batting thier eyes and chatting it up with every man that walks by... not using the machines, just "staging" themself in cute positions on them. this morning, these 2 cackling hens were literally sitting on the 2 machines that i use, having a very in depth conversation, never actually using the machine, for atleast 15 minutes. i went ahead and did my other workouts before i decided to go stand right in front of them as if i was listening in, only to let them know that IM WAITING IN LINE FOR "THIER SEAT"... then they got up and took thier conversation to another set of machines... these 2 are there every morning as well... its not the "newbies" who are crowding the gym, its people in gerneral who are not there to work hard, and obviously are there for other reasons...

^^ I call those the 'Barbie B****es' lol. And people like that are the main reason why I quit going to the gyms. If I wanted to go to a meat market with all the cliques, I would go to the bar where I could at least drink!

After reading thru here and seeing that most people actually support us 'gym newbies', it does help me feel a little bit better that maybe the gym isn't as bad as I think :) And I do totally understand the etiquette issue. I personally don't know what it all entails, but I would think that courtesy is on the top of the list! Rude is rude, whether you're at the gym or the supermarket.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    And then almost all of the new people abruptly quit and return next January to crowd up the gym and leave plates all over the place and curl in the squat rack and aggghhh

At my gym, it's a few regulars that leave plates all over the place and/or on bars. I think the noobs are too scared to step out of line. Which is a good thing.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness the gym I go to was so busy last night. I nabbed the last piece of cardio equipment for my warm up, then had to jump on each machine as it became free. I know i missed some out because I didnt want to wait around... but it felt really good to not be amongst many other overweight people...

HOWEVER I was disturbed to see the management showing other people around the gym. There must've been about 30-50 people shown the facilities last night.... WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO GO! I have no worries about new people joining and getting fit, but there needs to be enough equipment to go around doesnt there?
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    And you were NEVER new...right?

Everyone has to start somewhere. And maybe a few will stick it out.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    More crowded than usual, but I haven't had to wait for any of the machines I use. I'm sure it will start clearing out in a month or so. Sad, but true.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Honestly, pretty quiet. There's been like two....

Really weird. Never seen it this slow in January before.

Now that I've said something...........
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    For the first time I ever I did the strong lifts workout without having to wait. I think its because I'm at a university gym though.
  • RGv2
    Options
    For the first time I ever I did the strong lifts workout without having to wait. I think its because I'm at a university gym though.

I actually had better luck off campus than on back in the day.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

I can't stand the resolution crowd!

We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

^^^^^ I was part of the 2012 resolution crowd and I'm still going! :)
  • RGv2
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

I can't stand the resolution crowd!
    We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

^^^^^ I was part of the 2012 resolution crowd and I'm still going! :)

I read nothing discouraging in that at all. It's fact that 80% of those that join in January won't be back in Feb, and less by March.

It is what it is.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! The more people in my Jazzercise class, the more I sweat!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This post is still alive................? :yawn:
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yep. managed to fit in a class after work yesterday, first day back to the gym since the Hoidays and it was packed - I felt good, that time last year I was one of the newbies, but I stuck to it (well most of the year!!)
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ack, the Resolutioners!!! It started in full force yesterday. Of course, they wait until a monday to start!!! Not knocking them...just really hard to get through a class when there is double the number of normal people there and I don't really want to make new friends because I'm afraid that they are just going to leave in a couple of months. I'm ready for those who aren't actually committed to get committed or get the heck out!
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I like seeing new determined faces. Especially the ones who are there for the right reason. But I don't appreciate the loafers taking up space for their social hour. The treadmills are taking a beating right now with the influx of people. Hope the fix it guys can get to them soon. Meanwhile, I'll stick to my TRX class. Not to many noobies there.