What is your favorite frozen healthy food?

Options

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whatever food I previously cooked that I froze.
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    None. None of it is healthy. I'm not saying I may not buy something once in a very great while but I don't kid myself into thinking that it's anywhere close to healthy.

Nonsense. There are lots of frozen healthy foods.

because all of that added salt and preservitives are just soooooooo good for you
    I don't delude myself into thinking that a Lean Cuisine is the *best* choice, however I rarely cook and I believe that the Lean Cuisine is at least as 'good for me,' if not better, than eating a bunch of fast food. Far less calories and actually a lot less sodium as well. The Lean Cuisine meals I eat usually have 650 of less mg of sodium, which is actually less than a sandwich from Wendy's, also quite a few less calories. Shrug... Maybe it's not "healthy" to you, but it's definitely HEALTHIER than what I used to eat.

Where's the 'like' button when you need one?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Cedarlane Three Layer Enchilada Pie...mostly organic ingredients, decent protein...only drawback is 25 % DV of sodium, but that's with any prepared frozen food for the most part. Anyone who says it is not healthy has a very strict and small spectrum of healthy. Not the best compared to whole foods but surely fine for a meal or two a week!:smile:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Perdue Chicken Breasts, all natural, no steroids or hormones only 100 calories.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Frozen edamame is a staple at my house! I boil or steam it then add a little sea salt, fresh pepper and garlic powder with a tiny little bit of olive oil. So so good. Actually i do the same with frozen asparagus spears but substitute garlic for a tiny bit of Parmesan cheese.

Also frozen mango slices, slightly thawed (microwave for 20 seconds max) added to greek yogurt is a favourite breakfast of mine!

As far as frozen meals: Lean Cuisine Breakfast Quesadilla are so awesome and the Lean Cuisin Santa Fe Beans and Rice is delicious, extra sodium and all.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    None. None of it is healthy. I'm not saying I may not buy something once in a very great while but I don't kid myself into thinking that it's anywhere close to healthy.

because all of that added salt and preservitives are just soooooooo good for you

Not all frozen foods have added salt or preservatives.

It's a heck of a lot better than many things. I love using frozen fruits and veggies for all kinds of things: quiche, Southwestern Spaghetti Squash, frozen fruit makes great smoothies because the fruit is not nearly as time sensitive and it basically blends down into a delightful icee. those individual cubes of frozen, chopped garlic are SO convenient for quick cooking.

I also like to make soups, veggie patties, etc and freeze them so I can grab them on the go and pop it in a microwave for a quick and healthy meal.

As far as frozen meals in a box from the store, Amy's light and lean Lasagna is pretty stinking good. And as far as preservatives and salt go, I can pronounce all of the ingredients (eg- they are real food) except for enzymes (hey, what are ya gonna do? it is a frozen meal...) and the sodium comes in at 540 mg- which honestly would rarely put me over on sodium.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So, what, precisely, is in a steamer bag of frozen broccoli that is not healthy?
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I don't delude myself into thinking that a Lean Cuisine is the *best* choice, however I rarely cook and I believe that the Lean Cuisine is at least as 'good for me,' if not better, than eating a bunch of fast food. Far less calories and actually a lot less sodium as well. The Lean Cuisine meals I eat usually have 650 of less mg of sodium, which is actually less than a sandwich from Wendy's, also quite a few less calories. Shrug... Maybe it's not "healthy" to you, but it's definitely HEALTHIER than what I used to eat.

this is how i feel about it too. it's not really that bad for you. i don't have a lot of time and i don't have hours and tons of money to prepare the perfect foods all the time. a lot of the organic ones are fine. the kashi ones are quite good and even some of the lean cuisines. sure it would be better if i could have a gourmet meal made by a chef with all the right macros for every meal but that's just not realistic for my lifestyle.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It has too much sodium, but Palermo's margharita frozen pizza only has 390 calories for half of it, a regular sized pizza! I add diced red peppers and mushrooms to it since it only has cheese, tomatoes and herbs.
    I also buy hugeee bags of frozen blueberries, strawberries, broccoli, peas, edamame, chicken tenderloins, and in the summer I buy Schwann's frozen fruit bars.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I just cook large batches of food and freeze it ton make my own frozen meals. I do enjoy dr. Oetkers roasted veg and goat cheese pizza though. Mmmm.
  • eljmotivated
    eljmotivated Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love Kashi! They are very adventurous with their food combinations. But it tends to be hit or miss. lol. Either I love the meal or I hate it. There aren't any mediocre Kashi meals.
  • eljmotivated
    eljmotivated Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree that added sodium is the biggest downfall of frozen dinners. However, as far as preservatives go, try organic! I love it. And now that I eat organic I tend to cook more and I pay more attention to what's in my food! Amy's is probably my favorite! She has so many delicious options.
  • RollinwithRach
    RollinwithRach Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't have much experience with the frozen meals (Lean Cuisine, etc) but am tempted to try a couple after having read your posts! Like a few others post-ers, I also make big batches of food and then freeze them into individual containers. I just made a batch of Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili (thanks to Milk Free Mom!). If you are interested in making a batch, it makes six portions of chili and has 277 calories per serving (without avocado/sour cream). It says to top with avocado but if I don't have any in the house, I use fat-free sour cream. Here is the recipe: http://www.milkfreemom.com/vegan-quinoa-sweet-potato-chili/

Otherwise, I am a big fan of peeling bananas, storing them in individual ziplocs and then enjoying a forzen banana :)
  • myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone's beat me to this or not yet, but the Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken Fillets and something like the Green Giant Broccoli Spears. The chicken does have a bit of sodium, but super easy. You can add sauces to the chicken to vary it up. We've tried barbecue and mongolian and honey mustard with success. :-)
  • pebblesbuddy
    pebblesbuddy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Man what a bunch of @ssholes. Any way a few of my go to frozen items are frozen stir fry's. They have usually a ton of veggies, chicken and a tiny bit of pasta. They have a lot of them in the frozen food section and they aren't high in sodium. I think usually will add my own additional frozen or fresh veggies and sometimes more chicken. So easy takes about 10 minutes. Of course frozen veggies are easy. I also like taking time on a weekend and making a bunch of meals and then freezing a few of them so if I don't have time during the week I can either pop them in the oven or throw them in the crock pot in the morning. Easy peasy!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love frozen blueberries, and I like munching on frozen peas as a snack sometimes :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Yep, including my favourite which is wild alaskan salmon fillets.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I buy individually packaged tilapia. I can thaw one out in a few minutes and bake it with creole seasoning.